Thanking an attorney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thanking an attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:50 am

I'm not sure if this would be the proper thread, so I apologize in advance.

Before law school I was networking with as many attorneys as possible, but one has definitely stood out as by far the most helpful person I have ever met. She has provided advice whenever I needed it, and most recently I would venture to guess that she is, at the very least, a substantial reason why I just landed my internship for my 1L summer. I feel like I should do something to thank her (something other than a thank you note) but I don't want to come across as weird or anything like that. I already spoke with her and thanked her, should I do anything else?

Also, might be of worth to note that the firm she works for is my number one choice for OCI this fall.

Capitol_Idea

Re: Thanking an attorney

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:13 am

If it were I, I'd just reach out with a note/email. Anything more, like some kind of actual gift or something, would seem weird to me. The main point, I think, is to communicate your gratitude and stay on the person's radar. Staying in touch is far more valuable than trying to butter up someone with things.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:22 am

Just a personal email - one that obviously isn't a form "thank you" email - works well. Spend some time on it and it will show, and that should be enough.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:33 am

Yeah seconding everything here - just a personal email that thanks her. If you want you can write it in a couple months after you've been interning and tell her what kinda cfool things you are working on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:53 am

OP here, Thanks for the feedback. I figured that it would be weird do anything more, but I had a nagging feeling that I should.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:59 am

If you want to go a step above, a hand written thank you note always is nice. I wouldn't really go with any form of gift though. To be honest I'd probably do the email myself, I just wanted to throw another idea out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure if this would be the proper thread, so I apologize in advance.

Before law school I was networking with as many attorneys as possible, but one has definitely stood out as by far the most helpful person I have ever met. She has provided advice whenever I needed it, and most recently I would venture to guess that she is, at the very least, a substantial reason why I just landed my internship for my 1L summer. I feel like I should do something to thank her (something other than a thank you note) but I don't want to come across as weird or anything like that. I already spoke with her and thanked her, should I do anything else?

Also, might be of worth to note that the firm she works for is my number one choice for OCI this fall.

Are u guy or girl? Maybe invite her to lunch, or some gift card (under 25) like starbucks would also be OK in my opinion.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Hand written thank you note (better if on a stationary)

Return to “Legal Employment”