California Attorney General Honors Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273315
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:relatively on-topic question: is it really feasible to make $50k in SF?


It's doable but not comfortable. Living alone in San Francisco on that salary is probably impossible for most people; I think everyone that I know in SF lives with a roommate or SO. The farther suburbs are slightly less expensive, though. At least there's IBR to help with loan debt!

Here's hoping that someone hears back (and posts in this thread) this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273315
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:36 pm

has anyone gotten any offers? i still haven't heard anything

Anonymous User
Posts: 273315
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone gotten any offers? i still haven't heard anything


i know someone who received and rejected an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273315
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:06 pm

I'm interested in applying for this next year. Is the program always in either Sacramento or SF? Is it ever based in LA?

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby zot1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in applying for this next year. Is the program always in either Sacramento or SF? Is it ever based in LA?


The program rotates. It was in LA for two years before it moved to Sac Town. Not sure if they were planning to have it there for two years, but if they are, that means that it will be there next year also.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273315
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:34 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in applying for this next year. Is the program always in either Sacramento or SF? Is it ever based in LA?


The program rotates. It was in LA for two years before it moved to Sac Town. Not sure if they were planning to have it there for two years, but if they are, that means that it will be there next year also.


Thank you! As a follow-up question, you mentioned earlier in the thread that the two years is treated like a probationary period, and that if you do well you generally get to stay on. Assuming you get an offer to stay after the two years, would it be difficult at that point to move to another location? Are you expected to stay in the same office?

Thanks so much!

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby zot1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in applying for this next year. Is the program always in either Sacramento or SF? Is it ever based in LA?


The program rotates. It was in LA for two years before it moved to Sac Town. Not sure if they were planning to have it there for two years, but if they are, that means that it will be there next year also.


Thank you! As a follow-up question, you mentioned earlier in the thread that the two years is treated like a probationary period, and that if you do well you generally get to stay on. Assuming you get an offer to stay after the two years, would it be difficult at that point to move to another location? Are you expected to stay in the same office?

Thanks so much!


I was told you can only really move if the other office has an opening and someone puts in a good word for you. I have never really seen anyone do it though.

The other way to do it without an opening is if your spouse gets a job in the desired location. In that case the desired office will make arrangements to make a position for you. This is also through the grapevine, meaning I haven't seen anyone do it.

Sorry I don't have more info.

User avatar
bruinfan10
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:25 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby bruinfan10 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:relatively on-topic question: is it really feasible to make $50k in SF?


It's doable but not comfortable. Living alone in San Francisco on that salary is probably impossible for most people; I think everyone that I know in SF lives with a roommate or SO. The farther suburbs are slightly less expensive, though. At least there's IBR to help with loan debt!

Here's hoping that someone hears back (and posts in this thread) this week.

It's really not doable, in my opinion. Obviously need to have a roommate, but everything in SF is hyper expensive even if you get one--rent with a roommate in many neighborhoods is still close to 2k a month. I even lived like an hour up the Bart line into the East Bay and still had to pay north of 2k a month. A lot of people I know who take jobs with that kind of salary here are either rich or have a high-earning spouse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273315
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:33 pm

Has anyone who applied this year heard anything back yet? They said that those who got interviews would be notified in early Nov., so either its already happened or it should happen any day now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273315
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who applied this year heard anything back yet? They said that those who got interviews would be notified in early Nov., so either its already happened or it should happen any day now.


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=270030

Anonymous User
Posts: 273315
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: California Attorney General Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Does anyone know how difficult it is to become a California Deputy Attorney General after practicing in biglaw?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.