3L Recruiting (NYC -> LA *OR* Lit -> Corp) After 2L SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bobbyflayed

3L Recruiting (NYC -> LA *OR* Lit -> Corp) After 2L SA

Postby bobbyflayed » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:14 pm

It's that time of the year again.

T10 2L with a V30 NYC SA Position looking to move firms this summer. Our 3L OCI only has 28 offices coming and there's a snowball's chance in hell you'll get more than a handful of interviews. Grades went up significantly, EIC of Secondary Journal.

Right now I'm looking at two options:

(1) 3L Recruiting to CA - I'm from CA and this is where I want to end up eventually.
(2) Firm Switch in NYC - I went to a lit focused shop and I really want to switch to corporate. I wouldn't mind staying in NYC if I could do this.

What is the attack plan from here? Do I start informational interviewing with associates at these firms? Do I reach out to recruiting to see if they even hire 3Ls?

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KD35

Re: 3L Recruiting (NYC -> LA *OR* Lit -> Corp) After 2L SA

Postby KD35 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:22 pm

bobbyflayed wrote:It's that time of the year again.

T10 2L with a V30 NYC SA Position looking to move firms this summer. Our 3L OCI only has 28 offices coming and there's a snowball's chance in hell you'll get more than a handful of interviews. Grades went up significantly, EIC of Secondary Journal.

(1) 3L Recruiting to CA - I'm from CA and this is where I want to end up eventually.
(2) Firm Switch in NYC - I went to a lit focused shop and I really want to switch to corporate. I wouldn't mind staying in NYC if I could do this.

What is the attack plan from here? Do I start informational interviewing with associates at these firms? Do I reach out to recruiting to see if they even hire 3Ls?

And you don't want to be at your previous firm? I would say that you need to apply broadly to all those places that will show up and try to really get whatever you can.

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:24 pm

KD35 wrote:
bobbyflayed wrote:It's that time of the year again.

And you don't want to be at your previous firm? I would say that you need to apply broadly to all those places that will show up and try to really get whatever you can.

I really like the firm. The issue is that their corporate department is god awful.

When you say apply broadly -- does that mean just cold submitting resumes? Who would I reach out to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Search the site, there was a substantial 3L thread this fall and it should give you a better of which firms will be hiring.

All you do is send a cover letter, resume, and transcript to the recruiter at the firms you're interested in, letting them know that you are applying to start as a full-time associate. They'll take care of the rest. FYI, there's sometimes a distinction between SA hiring and associate hiring but they usually sort it out regardless. I recommend sending the applications as your summer program is wrapping up, but there's some disagreement over the timing. It's also very helpful to let the firm know you will be in NY and CA (I would just take a trip if you aren't going to be there already). That will land you a lot more screeners.

The general consensus seems to strongly indicate that corporate hiring is hotter than lit so you should be able to switch in NY.

Other than that, expect a longer and less predictable timeline than 2L interviews. This isn't as unusual as I think law students tend to assume it is. You will definitely run into other 3Ls interviewing in the office. You won't get in the door without the grades (although some people don't seem to care about the 2L offer, others do). Once you're in the interview, sell intelligence and compatibility with the firm and partners. There's fewer slots so you don't just want to be *a* smart law student who would probably work for the summer program, you want to be *the* smart and hardworking student who they would regret not hiring down the line if they pass.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Anon here: OP, your first response makes it seem like you only went through OCI and don't have mass mailing experience. It's a little bumpier ride and you should just prepare accordingly. You have to initiate the contact, you have to follow up, you have to talk to people on the phone more, you have to be prepared for very short turnarounds and just sort of roll with it. It isn't nearly as procedural and doesn't have the law school coddling of the OCI process. It's much more analogous to applying for a lateral position than for an SA.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:06 am

Also I know at least some firms have canceled their SA program,so see who all has and apply to them. I k ow Sedgwick is one.

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.

What's the risk to applying for other firms in NYC during my summer program? I'm assuming all the recruiters probably know each other and my summer class is small enough for them to know who I am.

Will news travel back to my 2L SA firm if I applied to firms for 3L positions in the same city during the summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:31 pm

I had the exact same goals after my 2L SA (jumping to a better NYC Corp firm or CA Corp firm) when I did 3L recruiting last fall.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about informational interviews, etc. I sent out cover letters/resume/transcript to the 12 or so firms I was interested between those markets in late July. I still had 1-2 weeks left in my summer program and hadn't gotten an offer yet but I got a decent amount of interviews (corporate was busy as hell then, probably still pretty busy). I also emailed the firms coming to OCI. I basically didn't bother with formal OCI but still interviewed with a couple of firms that came.

I ended up with about 5 interviews, 4 callbacks, and 2 offers. I took an offer at a California corporate-focused firm (which was pretty much my dream gig, I consider myself very lucky). I think you're in a good position in that you seem to have to reasons for making the move, which the interviewers will likely all want to know.

YMMV, obviously. You should probably apply to more firms than me. I was probably just a little higher up the vault ladder and I feel like, while my firm's corporate department wasn't the best, it was still pretty good. My main goal was really going to California but I also interviewed at and got an offer from a V5 in NYC. But those factors, and grades, seem to affect the 3L job search somewhat.

I also wouldn't worry about it getting back to your firm too much so long as you wait til the end of the SA to send out applications. Even if you apply to more firms than I did. Some may want to wait for you to get your offer but that shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Last edited by bobbyflayed on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had the exact same goals after my 2L SA (jumping to a better NYC Corp firm or CA Corp firm) when I did 3L recruiting last fall.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about informational interviews, etc. I sent out cover letters/resume/transcript to the 12 or so firms I was interested between those markets in late July. I still had 1-2 weeks left in my summer program and hadn't gotten an offer yet but I got a decent amount of interviews (corporate was busy as hell then, probably still pretty busy). I also emailed the firms coming to OCI. I basically didn't bother with formal OCI but still interviewed with a couple of firms that came.

I ended up with about 5 interviews, 4 callbacks, and 2 offers. I took an offer at a California corporate-focused firm (which was pretty much my dream gig, I consider myself very lucky). I think you're in a good position in that you seem to have to reasons for making the move, which the interviewers will likely all want to know.

YMMV, obviously. You should probably apply to more firms than me. I was probably just a little higher up the vault ladder and I feel like, while my firm's corporate department wasn't the best, it was still pretty good. My main goal was really going to California but I also interviewed at and got an offer from a V5 in NYC. But those factors, and grades, seem to affect the 3L job search somewhat.

I also wouldn't worry about it getting back to your firm too much so long as you wait til the end of the SA to send out applications. Even if you apply to more firms than I did. Some may want to wait for you to get your offer but that shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

How did you interview in LA while working NYC?

J90

Postby J90 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had the exact same goals after my 2L SA (jumping to a better NYC Corp firm or CA Corp firm) when I did 3L recruiting last fall.

Hi, can you PM me about this?

I'll be doing corporate work at a New York firm this summer, and am considering making a move to California (partly based on how the summer goes, partly based on an increased desire to go back since OCI). Would really appreciate it. Am curious about your application process and where you applied/which firms seemed receptive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:38 pm

bobbyflayed wrote:

How did you interview in LA while working NYC?

Hey, I'm the anon quoted. I didn't interview with the CA firms until after I finished my SA. I actually did a couple NYC interviews the last week of my SA during lunch. That was the reason why I applied the last two weeks of my SA. I was leaving NYC pretty soon after.

I went home to CA between my SA and school and offered to interview with the CA firms then. The two CA firms I cb'd at lagged behind the NYC firms on getting back to me and had to pay for my flight out after school started.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:22 pm

Can you give any more details about the CA offices that were receptive to 3Ls?

Return to “Legal Employment”