Only associate in PG

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Only associate in PG

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:16 pm

For those who are/were in biglaw, I have a question.

This fall I'll be starting as an associate. I was slotted for a niche and very small PG. The few associates at the main office who were in this PG all left to go in house. So, I'll be the only associate in the main office with about 6-8 partners.

To be clear, there will be a few other associates in satellite offices, but I'm not sure they work on the same stuff.

I would like an idea of what I'm in for. Will this make my experience more hellish? Or better experience?

It seems like a nightmare, but I really have no idea.

TYIA

KM2016

Re: Only associate in PG

Postby KM2016 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:15 am

On the bright side, no other associates to compare your billables to. You'll probably get a lot less shit if you're not billing 2100+ unlike associates in Lit/Trans, etc.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:06 am

I'm curious what BigLaw practice can support 8 partners with so few associates? How the hell do they make their money unless they're getting fees based on the size of transactions instead of hourly rates (a la Wachtell)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:53 pm

That is part of the concern. But from what I do know, this PG charges exorbitant rates due to its specialized nature, and is one in which they can rack up a ton of hours. Partners in this group also pull their weight on a lot of the grunt work.

Any other opinions? Debating about trying to jump off to another firm, but this is near impossible given the time of year and utter lack of 3L hiring.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:58 pm

KidStuddi wrote:I'm curious what BigLaw practice can support 8 partners with so few associates? How the hell do they make their money unless they're getting fees based on the size of transactions instead of hourly rates (a la Wachtell)?

The other associates in other offices might just be supporting them.

The "partners" aren't all equity and some are service partners who work like associates do.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:I'm curious what BigLaw practice can support 8 partners with so few associates? How the hell do they make their money unless they're getting fees based on the size of transactions instead of hourly rates (a la Wachtell)?

The "partners" aren't all equity and some are service partners who work like associates do.

Ah, right. I forget non-equity partners are a thing sometimes -- that makes a lot of sense.

OP, it sounds like that PG does pretty damn well providing its associates with exit options, I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship. A lot of people would kill to be in a PG with a 100% recent rate of placement into in-house jobs.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:31 pm

KidStuddi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Ah, right. I forget non-equity partners are a thing sometimes -- that makes a lot of sense.

OP, it sounds like that PG does pretty damn well providing its associates with exit options, I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship. A lot of people would kill to be in a PG with a 100% recent rate of placement into in-house jobs.

Non equity partners and niche practice groups. Nich group clients dont mind paying 800/hr for the most basic shit and there's a lot less grunt work like document review etc going around in ERISA /employee benefits groups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:24 pm

Working directly for partners can be much better than working for mid-levels/seniors. You will usually have more responsibility, more interesting work, and quite frankly more flexibility in your schedule.

Senior associates generally try to micro-manage juniors (e.g. check office hours, email on weekends constantly, get status updates, etc) to show they are "top dog" leadership material. Seniors will also do whatever they can to keep the most interesting/substantive work and roll the shit work downhill. Finally, seniors will generally try to steal credit whenever possible. Typical scenario: junior writes memo, sends to senior. senior then drafts new email to partner, not even cc'ing the junior, "here is the memo you asked for."

So you may have actually fallen into basically the ideal biglaw situation...you get to skip the usual hazing process of mid-levels/seniors trying to ram shit work down your throat at all hours while keeping you in the dark on anything substantive.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Working directly for partners can be much better than working for mid-levels/seniors. You will usually have more responsibility, more interesting work, and quite frankly more flexibility in your schedule.

Senior associates generally try to micro-manage juniors (e.g. check office hours, email on weekends constantly, get status updates, etc) to show they are "top dog" leadership material. Seniors will also do whatever they can to keep the most interesting/substantive work and roll the shit work downhill. Finally, seniors will generally try to steal credit whenever possible. Typical scenario: junior writes memo, sends to senior. senior then drafts new email to partner, not even cc'ing the junior, "here is the memo you asked for."

So you may have actually fallen into basically the ideal biglaw situation...you get to skip the usual hazing process of mid-levels/seniors trying to ram shit work down your throat at all hours while keeping you in the dark on anything substantive.

You care too much. Who cares if people steal "credit" ....OH NOES NOW I CANT BE PARTNER. Oh wait, I didn't give a shit about being partner in the first place. I laugh at people who take credit, since they are deluded into thinking they have a shot at making partner. Micro managing is annoying, but at least they are double checking work, pushing the cases/deals, etc. Less pressure off you if they are taking on the burden themselves.

This shit doesn't matter.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:01 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Working directly for partners can be much better than working for mid-levels/seniors. You will usually have more responsibility, more interesting work, and quite frankly more flexibility in your schedule.

You care too much. Who cares if people steal "credit" ....OH NOES NOW I CANT BE PARTNER. Oh wait, I didn't give a shit about being partner in the first place. I laugh at people who take credit, since they are deluded into thinking they have a shot at making partner. Micro managing is annoying, but at least they are double checking work, pushing the cases/deals, etc. Less pressure off you if they are taking on the burden themselves.

This shit doesn't matter.

Actually if the partner knows you did the work and conveys that fact to the client or co-counsel, it can drastically impact your reputation and exit options. Clients and other firms sometimes poach associates with whom they're impressed.

lalala123

Postby lalala123 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:22 am

Personally I think it's better to be one of the only associates. With such a small group you not only get to work directly with partners but you'll have a trickle down effect with all the work coming directly to you. In a larger practice group you sometimes have to fight for available assignments and there are more associates to choose from when designating work.

Return to “Legal Employment”