working at a startup for 1L Summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

working at a startup for 1L Summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Hey everyone,

I have an offer that expires in the next couple of days with a tech startup. I'm wondering if I should take it and finally be done with the job search, or if I keep myself in the running for a few others positions I recently interviewed for (but won't hear back this week).

I am hoping to land a job with a big firm during OCI, so my concern is whether or not this is going to look weird on my resume. There are plenty of standard 1L summer positions that people take, which means that firms are aware of the kind of legal work those people have done. I am worried that firms will look at a position like this and assume I did no solid legal work over the summer (they may think it was in actuality a more business-type position).

Am I overthinking this? I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks a lot!

Mr. Elshal

Re: working at a startup for 1L Summer?

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

I have an offer that expires in the next couple of days with a tech startup. I'm wondering if I should take it and finally be done with the job search, or if I keep myself in the running for a few others positions I recently interviewed for (but won't hear back this week).

I am hoping to land a job with a big firm during OCI, so my concern is whether or not this is going to look weird on my resume. There are plenty of standard 1L summer positions that people take, which means that firms are aware of the kind of legal work those people have done. I am worried that firms will look at a position like this and assume I did no solid legal work over the summer (they may think it was in actuality a more business-type position).

If you're actually going to do legal work, you would put that on your resume. You'll have a bunch of bullet points under the position and a title (maybe Legal Intern, or something) to indicate the nature of your work.

If you're not actually gonna do legal work, then it may pay to find another position where you will. Some kind of legal work is very helpful, and some would say necessary. Maybe you can split the summer between a non-legal and a legal job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Will you be doing legal work at the startup? If yes then take the offer. Working at a start up 1L summer is not odd.

FSK

Postby FSK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:50 pm

What stage startup is it? Any chance they'd bring you on as an early employee?

Run away from law while you still can.

paraguayfargus

Postby paraguayfargus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:03 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

If you're actually going to do legal work, you would put that on your resume. You'll have a bunch of bullet points under the position and a title (maybe Legal Intern, or something) to indicate the nature of your work.

If you're not actually gonna do legal work, then it may pay to find another position where you will. Some kind of legal work is very helpful, and some would say necessary. Maybe you can split the summer between a non-legal and a legal job?

This actually sounds super cool

Return to “Legal Employment”