3L On Campus Interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CountDooku

3L On Campus Interviews

Postby CountDooku » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:52 am

Long time lurking (although not usually on this board), first time posting. Be gentle.

Currently a 2L at a T2 on the East coast, usually ranked between 70-100. Only law school in the state and places really well in the state for that reason. Also has a decent reputation for placing in a few bordering states, but that isn't pertinent to this discussion. 1L summer I clerked for a state circuit judge (after getting turned down/turned down a federal magistrate in a crazy chain of events). In the fall I got an OCI with a mid-sized firm in the state (5 offices/25 attorneys) that pays pretty well (very competitive with bigger firms in the state, or so I'm told). I'm very happy I got it and hope that they hire me back, as they are a firm that is looking to expand/provide more services to clients. Point is, I'm content where I am and what the job may hold for my future.

The problem is, I would like to move to a larger firm. Somewhere with 50+ attorney's and offices in bigger towns throughout the state. I'm going to throw my hat in for 3L OCI's to try to get that jump. My credentials are:

Top 25%
Moot Court and a bunch of Moot Court honors
Supreme Court Clinic
RA for a pretty well respected professor in the state
And a bunch of soft activities that I'll bring up on here if it's asked for.

So is it hopeless? Are my chances shot? Will my metaphorical head be cut off by Anakin Skywalker?

Actus Reus

Re: 3L On Campus Interviews

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:04 am

If I say no, will you not apply? Mass mail in mid-July and hustle. But don't let that detract from getting an offer from the firm you're at -- that's most important.

CountDooku

Postby CountDooku » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:11 am

Actus Reus wrote:If I say no, will you not apply? Mass mail in mid-July and hustle. But don't let that detract from getting an offer from the firm you're at -- that's most important.

Nah, I'm applying for the interviews regardless. I can at least get dressed up in a suit and talk to some people. I never thought about mass-mailing while the job was going on, but I think I will do that, so thanks. Most of the big firms in the state interview on campus, so I don't see the point in mass mailing those ones when I'll eventually have the chance to get them on campus, but there are a few others worth checking out.

And yeah, the current offer is the most important. I agree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:02 am

CountDooku wrote:
Nah, I'm applying for the interviews regardless. I can at least get dressed up in a suit and talk to some people. I never thought about mass-mailing while the job was going on, but I think I will do that, so thanks. Most of the big firms in the state interview on campus, so I don't see the point in mass mailing those ones when I'll eventually have the chance to get them on campus, but there are a few others worth checking out.

And yeah, the current offer is the most important. I agree.

Check your school's symplicity or ask CSO. Lots of firms at my school were there for OCI but weren't interviewing 3Ls. Plus, for 3L hiring I would not wait until OCI. IMO 3L hiring moves twice, once after the firm's summer program but before OCI, and once after OCI. If you wait until OCI you may miss the first movement period.

Return to “Legal Employment”