Don't want to send resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Don't want to send resume

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:50 am

I'm back in my hometown for a bit and thought I'd volunteer for a legal organization. I volunteered for them a few years ago before law school. I'm only volunteering as a caller - I contact clients and confirm their appointment with lawyers. They never asked for a resume before, but now they've asked for: a short explanation of my relevant experiences, resume, cover letter, and interview. I'm pissed that they are asking for these when I'm merely volunteering. I'm also pissed because I don't want to dish out my confidential resume to anyone. The admin. contacting me is clearly some snooty undergrad, law school hopeful, who wants to look at my resume as reference. I want to just e-mail and say: is that really necessary? How can I avoid this cleverly?

mvp99

Re: Don't want to send resume

Postby mvp99 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:53 am

Whatever you do, don't do anything stupid. this is "law-related" and you may have to put it on your C&F app

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:17 am

It's not going to be on my C&F app if this admin. pisses me off enough to prevent me from volunteering in the first place.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm back in my hometown for a bit and thought I'd volunteer for a legal organization. I volunteered for them a few years ago before law school. I'm only volunteering as a caller - I contact clients and confirm their appointment with lawyers. They never asked for a resume before, but now they've asked for: a short explanation of my relevant experiences, resume, cover letter, and interview. I'm pissed that they are asking for these when I'm merely volunteering. I'm also pissed because I don't want to dish out my confidential resume to anyone. The admin. contacting me is clearly some snooty undergrad, law school hopeful, who wants to look at my resume as reference. I want to just e-mail and say: is that really necessary? How can I avoid this cleverly?

I think you're overreacting. Why would someone need to look at your law school resume, rather than just googling law student resumes? Employers are entitled/obligated to vet volunteers as much as paid employees. Besides, when you volunteered before, you weren't a law student. They may actually be considering giving you something more legal to do.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:53 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 am

The OP certainly doesn't have to do that, but it seems a bit much to be offended by being asked to do so. They probably see him/her as a law student looking for some kind of internship now, which s/he wasn't before.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:The admin. contacting me is clearly some snooty undergrad, law school hopeful, who wants to look at my resume as reference.

Troll? In the event you're not just send it in. Even if the above were true (it's not), why are you against helping others?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:19 am

I'm not against helping others - I'm irritated that an undergrad admin. (which I'm certain of) is asking for hell of a lot, which I personally think is unnecessary. Not letting someone look at my resume doesn't mean I don't want to help them. I just think the whole ask is unwarranted.

But as the other posters said, I may be overreacting. So I think it's just a matter of me deciding whether I want it or not.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not against helping others - I'm irritated that an undergrad admin. (which I'm certain of) is asking for hell of a lot, which I personally think is unnecessary. Not letting someone look at my resume doesn't mean I don't want to help them. I just think the whole ask is unwarranted.

But as the other posters said, I may be overreacting. So I think it's just a matter of me deciding whether I want it or not.

Get over yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:35 am

I made a step to volunteer my time for an organization and you're telling me to get over myself?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I made a step to volunteer my time for an organization and you're telling me to get over myself?

Duh. That's what I said. Get over yourself. You act as if your resume is a confidential document that contains secret information that someone would actually care about. You are also making a big deal out of a simple request. They asked for your resume, not your medical history.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:15 am

You're funny. It's not so much about me hiding my resume as it is about the admin's unnecessary request for a simple position. And, my resume might not contain secret information, but I wouldn't publish it either. It's actually very personal.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:You're funny. It's not so much about me hiding my resume as it is about the admin's unnecessary request for a simple position. And, my resume might not contain secret information, but I wouldn't publish it either. It's actually very personal.

Gee, you sound like you'll get far in this profession.

That they're not paying you doesn't mean they're not responsible for the shit you do while volunteering for them. Asking for a resume is completely routine and you are acting like a child. Stop behaving as if you're making some profound sacrifice for this organization and deserve the utmost gratitude and praises. The undergrad admin is not trying to copy your resume. How self-absorbed are you?

As the above poster already said, get over yourself.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:52 am

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're funny. It's not so much about me hiding my resume as it is about the admin's unnecessary request for a simple position. And, my resume might not contain secret information, but I wouldn't publish it either. It's actually very personal.

That they're not paying you doesn't mean they're not responsible for the shit you do while volunteering for them. Asking for a resume is completely routine and you are acting like a child. Stop behaving as if you're making some profound sacrifice for this organization and deserve the utmost gratitude and praises. The undergrad admin is not trying to copy your resume. How self-absorbed are you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:08 am

I never insinuated "profound sacrifice" and "utmost gratitude" but whatever. If you bothered to read closely, the resume part is less important. I was questioning if giving all of my short explanation, cover letter, resume, and interviewing, in addition to my initial application, was necessary for such a position.

Gee.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I never insinuated "profound sacrifice" and "utmost gratitude" but whatever. If you bothered to read closely, the resume part is less important. I was questioning if giving all of my short explanation, cover letter, resume, and interviewing, in addition to my initial application, was necessary for such a position.

Gee.

This is very typical of public interest organizations. Get used to it. Just because you're not getting paid doesn't mean that they don't have a right to vet your qualifications.

DELG

Postby DELG » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:00 am

Is this bipolar person again

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I never insinuated "profound sacrifice" and "utmost gratitude" but whatever. If you bothered to read closely, the resume part is less important. I was questioning if giving all of my short explanation, cover letter, resume, and interviewing, in addition to my initial application, was necessary for such a position.

Gee.

Is the place I'm interviewing at requiring me to do something to apply?

Yes? - then do it, because it's required and you want to work there

No? - don't, because they don't want to deal with it.

TTTooKewl

Postby TTTooKewl » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:01 am

WhiskeynCoke wrote:

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:03 am

I have never heard anyone refer to a resume as "confidential" before.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:36 am

If your resume contains "very personal" information that you don't want people to see, you should probably edit your resume.

You're coming off like a full blown weirdo. Calm down. They asked for a resume, not naked pictures of your girlfriend.

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:43 am

Ummm, I will repeat the sentiment of others: Get over yourself!

There is every possibility that they changed policies since they last had you working for them. It is also possible, as others said, that they are considering you for a more active position.

Nothing on your resume is, or should be, confidential.

Not sure what your issue with the person asking for your resume being an undergrad is. You have no way to verify if they want to use it as a template/example, yet you automatically assume they are going to steal your background or something. Also, based on your tone here, you have no standing to call anyone "snotty".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:12 am

DELG wrote:Is this bipolar person again

dood, do you even know what bipolar disorder is?

as for OP, i'd say narcissistic personality disorder is closer to the mark.

ETA: accidental anon
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DELG

Postby DELG » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
DELG wrote:Is this bipolar person again

dood, do you even know what bipolar disorder is?

as for OP, i'd say narcissistic personality disorder is closer to the mark.

Bipolar person is paranoid, back in their hometown after having started law school, seeking to beef up thier legal resume, and has reason to consider its contents confidential.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I made a step to volunteer my time for an organization and you're telling me to get over myself?

WHAT A MARTYR

Return to “Legal Employment”