SA Shoes.. Are These Too Flashy?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jay2716

Re: SA Shoes.. Are These Too Flashy?

Postby Jay2716 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:38 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Uh sorry I looked at the link for a second and made a quick joke? Chill the fuck out bro.

Yeah, but you tried to make a condescending joke without even knowing what a wingtip is (or that Strands aren't wingtips.)

If you're going to be a dick, you should learn not to be wrong at the same time.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Jay2716 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Uh sorry I looked at the link for a second and made a quick joke? Chill the fuck out bro.

Yeah, but you tried to make a condescending joke without even knowing what a wingtip is (or that Strands aren't wingtips.)

If you're going to be a dick, you should learn not to be wrong at the same time.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:51 pm

JenDarby wrote:Those would be 100% fine at my office and no one take notice, or if they did it wouldn't matter in the slightest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:53 pm

I have those same Cole Haans, and got them for under $70. They are very light, which is something to keep in mind. I wouldn't count on them being your brown shoes personally.

The color makes them more casual, and they're great to wear on jeans friday or something.

Regarding the chukkas, I think it may be odd to wear those during the summer. Other attorneys don't wear them.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:02 pm

I would not wear those chukkas, either, north. Suede is probably too casual to be biz casual, IMO. If they were leather, maybe.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:I would not wear those chukkas, either, north. Suede is probably too casual to be biz casual, IMO. If they were leather, maybe.

I think as an SA you should try to blend in, but in general later should feel out your particular environment. I'm in-house versus at a firm so we have a wide range of client facing and entirely internal job functions. I work with people who go suit and tie 5 days a week, people who wear khakis 5 days a week, and people who wear shoes of all varieties within my 600 person office. At the end of the day it's a comfort level thing I suppose (today I'm wearing jeans because its "Friday" with the office being closed tomorrow. Zero fucks given by anyone, except maybe my secretary who might have scoffed).

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:19 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:I would not wear those chukkas, either, north. Suede is probably too casual to be biz casual, IMO. If they were leather, maybe.

I think as an SA you should try to blend in, but in general later should feel out your particular environment. I'm in-house versus at a firm so we have a wide range of client facing and entirely internal job functions. I work with people who go suit and tie 5 days a week, people who wear khakis 5 days a week, and people who wear shoes of all varieties within my 600 person office. At the end of the day it's a comfort level thing I suppose (today I'm wearing jeans because its "Friday" with the office being closed tomorrow. Zero fucks given by anyone, except maybe my secretary who might have scoffed).

Agree on the blending in as a summer. Wouldn't wear the chukkas in particular after having witnessed two senior partners discussing their confusion about why a new associate was wearing similar shoes. Partners in other departments wouldn't have noticed, but my department tends more toward the business side of business casual.

The general rule I followed during my summer is that every day I wore clothes and shoes that would be appropriate if I got pulled into court that day. Not necessarily the clothes that I would have chosen to wear if I absolutely knew I was going to court, but clothes I knew wouldn't cause a partner to think twice about inviting me along to a hearing or court conference. Which was good, because I got unexpectedly invited to go to court a couple times without any notice.

skers

Postby skers » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:38 pm

You're fine wearing suede chukkhas. If you're really that worried you can wait to see what other associates wear over the summer and just follow their lead.

SquedTheScholar

Postby SquedTheScholar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:18 pm

North wrote:Okay if this is the asbergersy SA shoe vetting thread, I was wondering if brown suede chukkas would fly in a business casual office. I got them for general wear, but it'd be cool if I could get an extra pair of office shoes out of them.

I wouldn't. If I saw a SA wearing those, I would think that it was their first time in an office environment. They are too casual. Stick with ae or check out Edward Green.

LittleLaw

Postby LittleLaw » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:57 am

legends159 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:You'll probably get no-offered because everyone else will be rocking their walnut strands while you're in these knockoffs.

+1

Just spend a little more and get better quality shoes. When the strands are on sale - happens twice a year at Nordstrom- they're around $200.

When are the sales? Hoping to grab a pair for the summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”