SA Shoes.. Are These Too Flashy?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA Shoes.. Are These Too Flashy?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:52 pm

Business casual firm. Already have a pair of black and brown captoes for suit days. Are these wingtips ok to wear with khakis, etc.? I like them but do not want to draw too much attention to myself.

[url]http://www.saksoff5th.com/williams-leather-wingtip-brogues/0495603411061.html#Close/url]

Actus Reus

Re: SA Shoes.. Are These Too Flashy?

Postby Actus Reus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Business casual firm. Already have a pair of black and brown captoes for suit days. Are these wingtips ok to wear with khakis, etc.? I like them but do not want to draw too much attention to myself.

[url]http://www.saksoff5th.com/williams-leather-wingtip-brogues/0495603411061.html#Close/url]

No need for anon but those are fine. Business casual though could allow even some loafers. Feel it out

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:58 pm

You will definitely get no-offered with those shoes.

But seriously, they look fine if matched well with your outfit. The men's fashion thread might be good for you to check out.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:00 am

You'll probably get no-offered because everyone else will be rocking their walnut strands while you're in these knockoffs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:03 am

Thanks everyone. I plan to feel it out but what about boat shoes? Too casual?

Will be heading to the mens fashion thread to explore more..

KM2016

Postby KM2016 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:31 am

OP, those are fine.

Generally, any black or brown Allen Edmonds or Cole Haan oxfords/wingtips/loafers are good at a business casual firm.

I would wear an oxford the first day, then feel out the office and go from there.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:36 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReasonableNprudent

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:42 am

Do shoes really matter? Is it really that important to "fit in" to the corporate dress?

I mean, sure, it obviously is important to "blend" to an extent. But does it matter to the point where something other than flip flops or Nike's with khakis get noticed in a way that it matters to anyone?

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I plan to feel it out but what about boat shoes? Too casual?

this is very concerning.

I am reminded of that one no offer story thread where some kid wore oxfords with his shorts to a partner's boat party.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:17 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I plan to feel it out but what about boat shoes? Too casual?

this is very concerning.

I am reminded of that one no offer story thread where some kid wore oxfords with his shorts to a partner's boat party.

Oh and also it didn't help that he called it a boat!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:54 am

Those are not flashy at all, I'm disappointed. Those are literally just normal shoes.

FSK

Postby FSK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:00 pm

These are "flashy" in that they're wingtips and they're walnut (whereas cordovan/black/dark brown and captoe are the most traditional). But, perfectly fine in all but the most formal environments.

N.B. They're not very appropriate w/jeans.

JAYINSD

Postby JAYINSD » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Business casual firm. Already have a pair of black and brown captoes for suit days. Are these wingtips ok to wear with khakis, etc.? I like them but do not want to draw too much attention to myself.

These are absolutely fine, standard business/business casual shoes.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:08 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:You'll probably get no-offered because everyone else will be rocking their walnut strands while you're in these knockoffs.

+1

Just spend a little more and get better quality shoes. When the strands are on sale - happens twice a year at Nordstrom- they're around $200.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:19 pm

legends159 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:You'll probably get no-offered because everyone else will be rocking their walnut strands while you're in these knockoffs.

+1

Just spend a little more and get better quality shoes. When the strands are on sale - happens twice a year at Nordstrom- they're around $200.

Hell, they're worth it at full price.

sweeteavodka

Postby sweeteavodka » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:33 pm

legends159 wrote:

+1

If you don't want to wait for the sale, check out shoebank.com. Search outlet stock by size, call them up, buy them over the phone. They'll usually ship them to you for free too.

KM2016

Postby KM2016 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:41 pm

sweeteavodka wrote:
legends159 wrote:

+1

If you don't want to wait for the sale, check out shoebank.com. Search outlet stock by size, call them up, buy them over the phone. They'll usually ship them to you for free too.

TTT advice. These shoes are admittedly flawed.

"Our Factory-Second shoes contain a minor cosmetic blemish that does not affect the fit, comfort or durability of our shoes. The shoes simply do not pass our exacting standards at one of the various inspection points throughout our 212 step handcrafting process. The savings are passed along to our Allen Edmonds outlet customers."

And yes, I'm kidding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:47 pm

"No brown in town"

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:53 pm

(guy who doesn't know the difference between a wingtip and a cap toe)

FSK

Postby FSK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 pm

nevdash wrote:

Walnut strands are not very formal. You're looking for black park aves.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:03 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
nevdash wrote:

Walnut strands are not very formal. You're looking for black park aves.

Regardless of how formal Strands are or how appropriate they are for an SA, they're nothing like the linked shoes. They're cap toes, not wingtips. They have a toe medallion, the linked shoes do not. The only comparable qualities between the two pairs of shoes are their color and the fact that they both have broguing in the most general sense. To call the linked shoes Strand knockoffs is dumb.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:52 pm

Uh sorry I looked at the link for a second and made a quick joke? Chill the fuck out bro.

North

Postby North » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Okay if this is the asbergersy SA shoe vetting thread, I was wondering if brown suede chukkas would fly in a business casual office. I got them for general wear, but it'd be cool if I could get an extra pair of office shoes out of them.

FSK

Postby FSK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:20 pm

North wrote:Okay if this is the asbergersy SA shoe vetting thread, I was wondering if brown suede chukkas would fly in a business casual office. I got them for general wear, but it'd be cool if I could get an extra pair of office shoes out of them.

I wouldn't. Type of shoe is fine, but suede is very casual.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:38 pm

Those would be 100% fine at my office and no one take notice, or if they did it wouldn't matter in the slightest.

Return to “Legal Employment”