Philadelphia Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Gold

Re: Philadelphia Market

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:30 pm

To elaborate, friend is looking for a full ride and is interested in public service (Legal Aid/PD) or a small firm focusing on family, immigration, or SS disability law. She wants to practice in Philly.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:49 pm

BlueLotus wrote:How does Rutgers-Camden fare in the Philly legal market? Asking for a friend.

Philly legal market as in the big firms, or in general? It is definitely behind Temple and Villanova (simply because they have more connections). But Rutgers is better in Philly than say Drexel or a school like PSU Dickinson. Nevertheless, if you are not in the top 25% at Rutgers-C, finding work is going to be difficult.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:59 pm

BlueLotus wrote:To elaborate, friend is looking for a full ride and is interested in public service (Legal Aid/PD) or a small firm focusing on family, immigration, or SS disability law. She wants to practice in Philly.
I didn't see this post prior to answering your question. Just from talking to my friends, relying on finding employment at a "small firm" is tough. They rarely are hiring, so it is a crap shoot to find one.

But I think my original response still works. Unless you are in the top 25%, work is going to be tough to find. Rutgers boasts an employment score around 60%, but that includes grads with one-year clerkships (which make a majority of Rutgers employment). I am not sure where Rutgers grads find employment after their one-year clerkships.

Go to law school transparency and examine Rutgers job stats. That will answer your question about your friends chances of finding employment at a "small firm" or in public service. Again, my estimate is not good. I would suggest going to Temple if you want to work in Philly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:08 am

Do the Philly firms move on a slower timeline than other cities in terms of screeners/callbacks from networking and mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:32 am

I heard this about Philly (from a friend who is from the market). She started out at a smaller firm (30 or so that paid 6 figs but under the market). She found it challenging to lateral up. She finally did, but it was no cakewalk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:27 am

How does Gtown generally fare in philly? I assume a large portion of Penn goes to NYC or DC, but if not they have their choice of philly firms, but behind Penn, I'd think Gtown students are definitely favored over regional good schools like Temple or Nova, right?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Are Villanova and Temple peers? Or is one markedly better than the other?

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:24 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Are Villanova and Temple peers? Or is one markedly better than the other?
Yes peers, but I would take temple in a push. Ime they have a slightly better reputation and every firm seems to be littered with temple grads.

But I'm only a philadelphian. Not a lawyer.

Aquila

Bronze

Post by Aquila » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Are Villanova and Temple peers? Or is one markedly better than the other?
Yes peers, but I would take temple in a push. Ime they have a slightly better reputation and every firm seems to be littered with temple grads.

But I'm only a philadelphian. Not a lawyer.
Also from the area, Nova seems to be slightly more firm oriented where Temple is slightly more gov/pi/clerk... but there is not much disparity

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Should my friend stay away from Drexel? Or is it acceptable with a full ride and modest aspirations?

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:54 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Should my friend stay away from Drexel? Or is it acceptable with a full ride and modest aspirations?
Drexel is not very well regarded. He or she is better off at Temple. Rutgers Camden will do okay at getting a person into Philly, but it is really more for Southern NJ and some of Northern NJ.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:57 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Should my friend stay away from Drexel? Or is it acceptable with a full ride and modest aspirations?
I have a tough time signing off on drexel, especially because temple and nova are so attainable.

Drexel law has been around like maybe 8 years or something. It's just not a name I'd want on my resume.

But I don't know a thing about hiring at "modest" places, so I can't say much more.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:25 pm

If the decision came down to Temple or Villanova, I would pick the cheaper one (which in most cases would be Temple).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:24 pm

nick417 wrote:If the decision came down to Temple or Villanova, I would pick the cheaper one (which in most cases would be Temple).
This. And never Drexel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does Gtown generally fare in philly? I assume a large portion of Penn goes to NYC or DC, but if not they have their choice of philly firms, but behind Penn, I'd think Gtown students are definitely favored over regional good schools like Temple or Nova, right?
Assuming ties, I'd think you'd be at an advantage

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:35 pm

So is the Philly pecking order Penn>Temple=Villanova>Rutgers-Camden>Drexel>Widener>unaccredited shiz?

Aquila

Bronze

Post by Aquila » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:57 pm

BlueLotus wrote:So is the Philly pecking order Penn>Temple=Villanova>Rutgers-Camden>Drexel>Widener>unaccredited shiz?
I would guess Penn>top14>Temple/Nova> Drexel> then widener/TTTT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Aquila wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:So is the Philly pecking order Penn>Temple=Villanova>Rutgers-Camden>Drexel>Widener>unaccredited shiz?
Where does Rutgers-Camden fit in? Better than Drexel and worse than Temple/Nova and Penn?

Do rankings matter for small firms doing SS disability, family law, and immigration? How about non-prestigious public interest like PD/Legal Aid?

Aquila

Bronze

Post by Aquila » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:00 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Aquila wrote:
Where does Rutgers-Camden fit in? Better than Drexel and worse than Temple/Nova and Penn?
Yes but i am speaking from what i have seen on TLS and stats, not from experience

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Aquila wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
Aquila wrote:
Yes but i am speaking from what i have seen on TLS and stats, not from experience
The answer to this question depends on type of employment.

Rutgers-Camden is close enough to par with Temple and Nova w/r/t big firm hiring. Each school is going to place 0-2 ppl in the big firms like Pepper, MLB, Dechert, Drinker, Duane Morris, Blank Rome, Cozen O'Conor, etc. But honestly, Penn or T14 with ties is way better and no one should attend any of the local schools if the goal is biglaw.

IME, mid-small firms, local gov, and public interest employers give the edge Temple and Nova, and Temple basically monopolizes the Philly DA and PD offices. But all of this is very specific to each firm/organization and hiring partner and I'm sure Rutgers self-selection into NJ plays some role, just not sure how much.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:16 pm

What's everyone's beef with Drexel? Is it too new?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:09 am

BlueLotus wrote:What's everyone's beef with Drexel? Is it too new?
Yes, it's an unnecessary and unwelcome addition to an already crowded secondary market.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:10 am

What kind of work do most Philly firms do?

inchipwetrust

New

Post by inchipwetrust » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:What kind of work do most Philly firms do?
(Assuming you mean big law)...Big law firms in philly, as in any other city, offer a wide range of practice areas, it all varies from firm to firm. There's really no one, specific, outright answer to your question cause they do a lot of different type work. Your best bet is to research the big law philly firms, then look on NALP to see their practice area #'s, research on chambers to see what band (tier) practice area they are in the city, research the firms attorneys #'s by practice area on their website and vault, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Speaking very generally Philadelphia is a litigation heavy bar

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”