Any success stories from people who switched practice areas?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any success stories from people who switched practice areas?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Feeling depressed at work, and want to switch practice areas. Don't feel like my particular skillset matches where I'm at, and don't see myself growing. Anyone have any success stories in which they were bad in one practice area, and then switched to find success/happiness? Don't really want to hear stories about switching out of law entirely since I want to stay in law, but whatever I'd be down to hear it if it's a good one.

deadpanic

Re: Any success stories from people who switched practice areas?

Postby deadpanic » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Also curious about this. In particular, anyone make the transition from civil -> criminal?

Anonymous User

Re: Any success stories from people who switched practice areas?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:16 pm

I work with a few people who made the civil -> criminal switch. Mostly they went biglaw -> AUSA, so it can be done. At least one used clerking to make the transition, one had interned at the USAO while in law school, and two worked as unpaid AUSAs for a while (sorry - I know that's not cheering). As to the others, I don't know whether they did criminal pro bono or had enough trial experience to jump or just had really compelling arguments or what, but it is possible.

Return to “Legal Employment”