late graduation date

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

late graduation date

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:17 pm

As a 3L, I signed up for a negotiations course that is condensed into two weekends with mandatory attendance. I ended up getting pretty sick one weekend and had to miss two days (they wouldn't even let me come because they said they don't want to infect other students). Since this is a participation heavy course, they wouldn't give me credit and withdrew me. I now have to make up those credits over the summer and my graduation date was postponed to October rather than May.

How will this affect job prospects?

I've been trying to fight this but the appeals process is taking up all my time and I'm not able to focus on my other classes, should I just let it go or should I keep fighting it?

If I do let it go I feel kind of torn up inside like I gave up and like I let myself get screwed. I would feel better if there's some kind of benefit to gain from this. (idk maybe a summer course would give me a gpa boost or something?) Is there any silver lining to this? Can anything good possibly come out of this?

Anonymous User

Re: late graduation date

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a 3L, I signed up for a negotiations course that is condensed into two weekends with mandatory attendance. I ended up getting pretty sick one weekend and had to miss two days (they wouldn't even let me come because they said they don't want to infect other students). Since this is a participation heavy course, they wouldn't give me credit and withdrew me. I now have to make up those credits over the summer and my graduation date was postponed to October rather than May.

How will this affect job prospects?

I've been trying to fight this but the appeals process is taking up all my time and I'm not able to focus on my other classes, should I just let it go or should I keep fighting it?

If I do let it go I feel kind of torn up inside like I gave up and like I let myself get screwed. I would feel better if there's some kind of benefit to gain from this. (idk maybe a summer course would give me a gpa boost or something?) Is there any silver lining to this? Can anything good possibly come out of this?

Since you don't currently have a job (at least that's my inference from your post), it really depends on how your state bar treats this; most post-grad-hiring employers are waiting for bar results anyway. Can you still take the bar this summer? I know the state of Texas allows you to take it with 4 hours of law school remaining, and other states have various numbers from 0 to 6 or so.

If your state requires that you've completed all the requirements for graduation, you'll want to look into whether completing the requirements for a course (such as a directed reading or advanced clinic that you can pack into the first half of the summer before the bar exam) would be viewed, even if technical graduation wouldn't be until October.

If you're not concerned about the potential for delay of the bar exam and you're simply asking about whether having "May 2015" vs "October 2015" on your resume will make a big difference, I do not believe it will, but I don't have any basis for that opinion one way or another. Post-grad-hiring employers seem IME to be those less concerned with grades and more concerned with fit, "experience" with that area of law, and demonstrated interest in that area.

Return to “Legal Employment”