Big law attorneys: living life Q Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTTooKewl

New

Big law attorneys: living life Q

Post by TTTooKewl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:15 pm

So, from reading this forum, the consensus seems to be that while in biglaw, you are completely at the mercy of your firm, no time is your time, can't make plans and stick to them, etc.

So I'm wondering:

do you go to movies? do you turn your phone off during a 3hr movie?

do you make dinner reservations? are you constantly canceling them? does opentable hate you?

KM2016

Bronze

Re: Big law attorneys: living life Q

Post by KM2016 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:27 pm

TTTooKewl wrote:
So I'm wondering:

Wait, does anybody, attorney or not, actually turn their phone off during a movie?
TTTooKewl wrote: do you make dinner reservations? are you constantly canceling them? does opentable hate you?
If you're at a firm with minimal face-time requirement, you'd be surprised how much control you have over your schedule. While I may have to work late into the night, at my firm I can leave at 6 and go to dinner or go home to have dinner, and then log in and work from home. Sometimes there are fire drills and I have to cancel, but it's pretty rare (again, I know this depends largely on the firm/market and face-time policies).

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:39 pm

Depends on your practice. In general, in my lit experience, dinners or other events that are scheduled for an hour or two are generally ok, though you may have to unexpectedly work afterward. Its rare to get something that must be done suddenly in that tight a timeframe. Weekend plans do get ruined if you hope to spend the whole day doing something. Corp folks seem to get sudden ASAP deadlines at any and all times.

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 pm

KM2016 wrote:
TTTooKewl wrote:
So I'm wondering:

Wait, does anybody, attorney or not, actually turn their phone off during a movie?
[/quote]
Yes? Otherwise society as we know it ceases to exist. I'm there to enjoy the film while ruining it for others by talking about each scene after it ends and laughing during srs moments. I'm not gonna waste time on my phone. aintnobodygottimefodat.jpg

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:16 am

Big firm litigator. I work most evenings and sometimes work quite late, but I typically can make time to get out for an hour or two if I need to (ie for dinner, to go to the gym, to go to a therapist appointment, etc.). I have true fire drills (80% of the time they involve a TRO or some other emergency motion, 20% of the time its some document review emergency) maybe once every six weeks, but I may have just gotten lucky so far. I don't typically go to movies during the week, but I did once and it was NBD. (If you're worried, see them on a weekend - the odds of getting an email you need to answer immediately are much, much lower). I also work most weekends, but typically it's catching up on projects that I didn't have time for during the week or decided to put off. Friday and Saturday nights are pretty sacrosanct, Sunday nights are usually fine too as long as we don't have a production/filing on Monday that needs last-minute attention.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:40 am

So is weekend day drinking completely out of the question as an associate? While being able to day drink on the weekends isn't a crucial part of my life, there are definitely times in the last year where if I got an email on a Saturday afternoon asking me to complete an urgent task that I would have been too hammered to complete said task. I'm assuming, "I can't do that right now I'm drunk at 1pm on a Saturday" isn't a great response.

If anyone has specific stories about times they had to do work while drunk, I know I'd enjoy them.

Anon because my alcoholism.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:46 pm

Yeah, also interested in the above

Philafaler

New

Post by Philafaler » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:50 pm

North wrote:Yeah, also interested in the above
+1

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:54 pm

Depends who you work for. But unlike Corp work, there aren't sudden deadlines on the weekend. If you are working on saturday, you generally knew about it before you went to bed. It's never "We need the commas checked in this document STAT" stuff you might get as a trannylawer.

It usually, "ah fuck, this is due tuesday but it's going to take 40 hours" or "Johnson, take a look at this over the weekend and lets talk monday morning."

Occasionally a partner will start sending order Saturday night, but at least at my firm, I wasn't expected to answer right away.

Unless its business hours or you know shit is going down, you can turn your phone off in the movie.

The real problem is that they give you so much dam work you won't have time to go to teh movies normally.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So is weekend day drinking completely out of the question as an associate? While being able to day drink on the weekends isn't a crucial part of my life, there are definitely times in the last year where if I got an email on a Saturday afternoon asking me to complete an urgent task that I would have been too hammered to complete said task. I'm assuming, "I can't do that right now I'm drunk at 1pm on a Saturday" isn't a great response.

If anyone has specific stories about times they had to do work while drunk, I know I'd enjoy them.

Anon because my alcoholism.
Billed 2500+ last year and had plenty of day-drinking on the weekends. If a deal/case is moving or hot, you'll understand and you'll plan accordingly and stay sober. Rarely do things come in on a weekend that are both unexpected and urgent; usually it can wait until the next day if you're unavailable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”