V5 Summer Associate --> Peer Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V5 Summer Associate --> Peer Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:36 am

How possible would it be to go from being a V5 summer (CSM/DPW/S&C) to another firm in the same range after the summer ends? Is there any way that even applying could cause problems?

Capitol_Idea

Re: V5 Summer Associate --> Peer Firm

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:52 am

I imagine it depends on the hiring needs of the firm and whether any SA's drop out of their programs below any expected attrition. I can't imagine you'd be in a significantly better place than the poor bastards in the 3L vale - why you gonna try and snatch a badly needed job from one of them?

Would be curious to hear more about the desire to switch so soon - most of the reasons I can think of wouldn't be unique to a particular firm, but rather endemic to the entire V10 at least.

Edit: Listen to DF over me. Still interested in your reasons for moving though.
Last edited by Capitol_Idea on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 am

zacharus85 wrote:I imagine it depends on the hiring needs of the firm and whether any SA's drop out of their programs below any expected attrition. I can't imagine you'd be in a significantly better place than the poor bastards in the 3L vale - why you gonna try and snatch a badly needed job from one of them?

Would be curious to hear more about the desire to switch so soon - most of the reasons I can think of wouldn't be unique to a particular firm, but rather endemic to the entire V10 at least.

You'd be WAY better off than the veil.

Though I have it on good authority that Cravath will call ur summer firm to see if you got an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:I imagine it depends on the hiring needs of the firm and whether any SA's drop out of their programs below any expected attrition. I can't imagine you'd be in a significantly better place than the poor bastards in the 3L vale - why you gonna try and snatch a badly needed job from one of them?

Though I have it on good authority that Cravath will call ur summer firm to see if you got an offer.

I met with Cravath as a 3L who had an offer. I didn't receive a CSM offer but I really doubt that they actually called my summer firm. I may be naive but I think I would be aware of it if they had.

To OP: I think it would be nuts for a firm to actually get pissed at you for applying. That being said, if you're applying to all NY offices, it definitely might get back to your summer firm.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Switching between these places isn't very difficult, it's just that there usually isn't much of a reason to do so.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I met with Cravath as a 3L who had an offer. I didn't receive a CSM offer but I really doubt that they actually called my summer firm. I may be naive but I think I would be aware of it if they had.

To OP: I think it would be nuts for a firm to actually get pissed at you for applying. That being said, if you're applying to all NY offices, it definitely might get back to your summer firm.

There's no reason for them to call your firm if they weren't going to extend you an offer anyway, so your experience doesn't really provide any useful information.

downinDtown

Postby downinDtown » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Is there honestly a reason you'd want to switch between these firms (practice group preference or perceived exit opportunities or switching geographical location, etc.) or is this having 990-thread-count sheets, but wanting 1000?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:50 pm

I think there are a few good reasons to switch: if you're at Cravath and don't like the Cravath Model assignment system, S&C/DPW/etc. would be much more appealing. And at some of the V10 firms, specialized groups like tax, estates and trusts, etc. don't take everyone.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

There's no reason for them to call your firm if they weren't going to extend you an offer anyway, so your experience doesn't really provide any useful information.

When you interview with Cravath as a 3L (CB stage), they have you meet with one of the recruiting coordinators before taking you to your interviewers. In that meeting, they request that you sign a form giving permission to call your summer firm to verify the offer ONLY in the event that they extend an offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”