Best job market (AZ, TX, CA)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BioChemXFIT

Best job market (AZ, TX, CA)

Postby BioChemXFIT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:44 am

I'm currently a Chicago student looking to move away from this crappy winter weather, the unfriendly CTA commute and an improvement on living situation (rent/sqft - yes, I realize CA is not meeting this criteria).

My background is in biochemistry, I have a publication, I've worked for a very well-known law firm downtown Chicago. I'm not completely unmarketable, but my B-average grades aren't very impressive to out-of-state employers. I have a few months to decide which bar exam to take but I'm completely uncertain where I want to end up.

I'm currently considering moving to either Scottsdale/Phoenix Arizona, Austin Texas or San Diego CA. I'm not wanting a big law job - at least that is not where I'm aiming. Can anyone shed some light on the job markets for IP attorneys in those areas?

Ideally, I would work in biotech/pharma, but that seems to be a dying field. I'm considering the softer-IP practice in trademarks and copyright. Thanks for the help :)

BearLaw

Re: Best job market (AZ, TX, CA)

Postby BearLaw » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:30 pm

BioChemXFIT wrote:I'm currently a Chicago student looking to move away from this crappy winter weather, the unfriendly CTA commute and an improvement on living situation (rent/sqft - yes, I realize CA is not meeting this criteria).

My background is in biochemistry, I have a publication, I've worked for a very well-known law firm downtown Chicago. I'm not completely unmarketable, but my B-average grades aren't very impressive to out-of-state employers. I have a few months to decide which bar exam to take but I'm completely uncertain where I want to end up.

I'm currently considering moving to either Scottsdale/Phoenix Arizona, Austin Texas or San Diego CA. I'm not wanting a big law job - at least that is not where I'm aiming. Can anyone shed some light on the job markets for IP attorneys in those areas?

Ideally, I would work in biotech/pharma, but that seems to be a dying field. I'm considering the softer-IP practice in trademarks and copyright. Thanks for the help :)

Cant speak for the other two places listed, but Austin is likely a non-starter. There is not a big legal market there, the market is very insular, and I really dont know that there is much IP work (someone with better knowledge of the IP landscape please correct me if I am wrong). The COL is also high for TX and commuting sucks because its a small city that blew up in the last 20 years without the infrastructural improvements to accommodate the new people. Also, hipsters, hipsters everywhere.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm

It'll be spring soon and you won't want to killyourself anymore.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Focus on getting a job before being super selective about your market based solely on weather.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm currently considering moving to either Scottsdale/Phoenix Arizona, Austin Texas or San Diego CA

Why not shoot for less popular and less insular markets, like Honolulu or Denver or Portland?

Seriously, those are all going to be really tough to break into an an entry level. San Diego and Austin are probably feasible if you do an interim stint in Los Angeles or Dallas/Houston. But I'm talking like 5+ years.

downinDtown

Postby downinDtown » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm currently considering moving to either Scottsdale/Phoenix Arizona, Austin Texas or San Diego CA

Why not shoot for less popular and less insular markets, like Honolulu or Denver or Portland?

Seriously, those are all going to be really tough to break into an an entry level. San Diego and Austin are probably feasible if you do an interim stint in Los Angeles or Dallas/Houston. But I'm talking like 5+ years.

Honolulu or Denver or Portland are either more insular than the ones OP listed or have less of a legal market to speak of.

Austin has some IP/tech focused work and an emerging VC/startup market. Phoenix is a big market overall, but not a huge legal market (perhaps due to its proximity to LA, but I think there are only about 15-20 NALP firms there), but I'm not sure of the quantity of IP work there. I know they have BoA, Chase, Intel, and a few other large employers, but can't speak to how much IP focus there is.

OP, have you considered Dallas? It actually has many nice areas with cheaper COL than Austin, has plenty of "warm" weather, has a USPTO, and a large tech/IP presence (lots of tech/IT companies based here and the "Rocket Docket" in Tyler). Some reputable IP firms in town include Baker Botts, Fish & Richardson, et al (http://www.chambersandpartners.com/1323 ... torial/5/1). I think Baker McKenzie has a little life sciences or Bio IP group too.

Also Houston, beside O&G, has a large healthcare industry, so there may be some areas of interest there as well.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:36 pm

Wait, you've worked at a very large firm, but did you get an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Honolulu or Denver or Portland are either more insular than the ones OP listed or have less of a legal market to speak of.

I was being facetious.

JAYINSD

Postby JAYINSD » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:52 pm

BioChemXFIT wrote:I'm currently a Chicago student looking to move away from this crappy winter weather, the unfriendly CTA commute and an improvement on living situation (rent/sqft - yes, I realize CA is not meeting this criteria).

What is your current situation? Are u a 3L with offer in hand? As far as I know, SD has a decent size of market that suits your background.

downinDtown

Postby downinDtown » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I was being facetious.

I see that now. I would move to Honolulu in a damn heartbeat though. Also, great use of anon (x2).

Return to “Legal Employment”