Shoot Down My Crazy Summer Idea Plan...Unless Its Not Crazy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shoot Down My Crazy Summer Idea Plan...Unless Its Not Crazy

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Median/Slightly Below Median at MVP. Worried about OCI, but I just came up with a crazy plan for the summer. Here goes:

I managed to land a chill public sector job for the summer that requires like 10 hours of work per week. Can I enroll at a summer law school class at my local T2 Law School, gun for a good grade, and then use it at OCI? Like maybe something semi-useful, i.e. corporations, sec reg, or federal income tax? Is there ANY chance that would improve my luck at OCI, or maybe even some of my later callbacks???

TYIA. I know it's a plan thats sorta off the beaten path...

Edit: The job is at my hometown. It is a secondary market where I grew up, and it's where I want to work after graduation.

Edit 2: I'm a 1L, obviously.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAYINSD

Re: Shoot Down My Crazy Summer Idea Plan...Unless Its Not Crazy

Postby JAYINSD » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median/Slightly Below Median at MVP. Worried about OCI, but I just came up with a crazy plan for the summer. Here goes:

I managed to land a chill public sector job for the summer that requires like 10 hours of work per week. Can I enroll at a summer law school class at my local T2 Law School, gun for a good grade, and then use it at OCI? Like maybe something semi-useful, i.e. corporations, sec reg, or federal income tax? Is there ANY chance that would improve my luck at OCI, or maybe even some of my later callbacks???

Edit: The job is at my hometown. It is a secondary market where I group up, and it's where I want to work after graduation.

Don't you need your current school permission to enroll in another school? And you have to explain to your future interviewer why you have two different transcripts. Plus you may not even get your summer result before the OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median/Slightly Below Median at MVP. Worried about OCI, but I just came up with a crazy plan for the summer. Here goes:

Edit: The job is at my hometown. It is a secondary market where I group up, and it's where I want to work after graduation.

Good point. Might be kind of weird to have to explain two transcripts. If I do bad, then it makes me look like an idiot. But if I do well, the interviewers might just not take me seriously because it's a semi-TTT school....

Now I'm wondering if the grade might help me if I get it in time for callbacks.

transferror

Postby transferror » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:00 pm

What happens if an employer asks what you did over the summer? I imagine 10 hours/week will give you very little substantive experience, so make sure you'll be able to have enough work to give a coherent narrative at OCI.

As for taking a class at another school, you should talk to the dean of students or whoever is responsible for approving credits from other schools, and do it this week b/c you'll need a contingency in case they shoot you down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:05 pm

transferror wrote:What happens if an employer asks what you did over the summer? I imagine 10 hours/week will give you very little substantive experience, so make sure you'll be able to have enough work to give a coherent narrative at OCI.

As for taking a class at another school, you should talk to the dean of students or whoever is responsible for approving credits from other schools, and do it this week b/c you'll need a contingency in case they shoot you down.

OP here.

Idk, it seems like the work will be substantive (at least enough to make it look good enough for OCI). they even offered to let me come in for "extra hours" if I want. i just don't have to.

I mean I don't think the plan would work, but mainly because I'll get the grade back too late for even CB's

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:05 pm

1) grades wont come out in time

2) it wont count in your GPA, so nobody is going to care you Ace'd business associations at a TTT

3) you probably can't get enrolled like that.

4) it would look weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:1) grades wont come out in time

2) it wont count in your GPA, so nobody is going to care you Ace'd business associations at a TTT

3) you probably can't get enrolled like that.

4) it would look weird.

sigh

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Have you considered gunning for good grades this semester? Something to think about

Avian

Postby Avian » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:2) it wont count in your GPA, so nobody is going to care you Ace'd business associations at a TTT

This is the most important point. Even if you could somehow swing this, it would be patently obvious what you're doing and in all likelihood a firm would just disregard your grade from the other school.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Have you considered gunning for good grades this semester? Something to do

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:41 pm

bad idea

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:01 am

It is easy to always look for the shortcut. At the end of the day, there are very rarely true substitutes for hard work. Get good substantive experience this summer and do your best to sell your narrative at OCI.

And in the meantime, get off TLS and finish this current semester strong.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Enrolling in summer classes at another law school would strike any employer as very odd. You will have to do a lot of explaining in interviews, and you don't want to waste precious interview time on something like this. Not to mention, it won't give you any leg up for OCI.

Since this is your 1L summer, it doesn't matter too much what you do, so long as it's something law-related.

city123

Postby city123 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:56 pm

If you have extra time this summer, and you're going to be in the market where you inevitably want to work, why not just hit the networking hard? Especially if you're in a secondary/smaller market, networking is often more helpful than any minor GPA boost.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:48 pm

city123 wrote:If you have extra time this summer, and you're going to be in the market where you inevitably want to work, why not just hit the networking hard? Especially if you're in a secondary/smaller market, networking is often more helpful than any minor GPA boost.

yup

Return to “Legal Employment”