Summer Associate subject to NYC Local Taxes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MAapplicant
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Summer Associate subject to NYC Local Taxes?

Postby MAapplicant » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi all,

Was a summer associate for a NYC firm in 2014. Lived in NYC via summer housing for about 2 months but continued paying rent where I normally lived. Am now getting ready to file my NY tax return. Does my time in NYC make me a "part-time NYC resident" subject to NYC taxes? Am wondering because if this is the case then I go from receiving a decent state tax return to actually owing.

Anyone with any thoughts or experiences about this would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Summer Associate subject to NYC Local Taxes?

Postby Killingly » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Check with your office manager and or/payroll department. They will know the answer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate subject to NYC Local Taxes?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:25 pm

MAapplicant wrote:Hi all,

Was a summer associate for a NYC firm in 2014. Lived in NYC via summer housing for about 2 months but continued paying rent where I normally lived. Am now getting ready to file my NY tax return. Does my time in NYC make me a "part-time NYC resident" subject to NYC taxes? Am wondering because if this is the case then I go from receiving a decent state tax return to actually owing.

Anyone with any thoughts or experiences about this would be greatly appreciated.


Are you talking about state or local tax? Your post seems ambiguous. You owe NY taxes regardless of your state of residency, but you don't owe NYC taxes unless you actually resided in the city (which ostensibly you did not).

MAapplicant
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Summer Associate subject to NYC Local Taxes?

Postby MAapplicant » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MAapplicant wrote:Hi all,

Was a summer associate for a NYC firm in 2014. Lived in NYC via summer housing for about 2 months but continued paying rent where I normally lived. Am now getting ready to file my NY tax return. Does my time in NYC make me a "part-time NYC resident" subject to NYC taxes? Am wondering because if this is the case then I go from receiving a decent state tax return to actually owing.

Anyone with any thoughts or experiences about this would be greatly appreciated.


Are you talking about state or local tax? Your post seems ambiguous. You owe NY taxes regardless of your state of residency, but you don't owe NYC taxes unless you actually resided in the city (which ostensibly you did not).


I am talking about local taxes. I thought that my 60 days in NYC would have made me a "part-time New York City resident," which would subject me to local taxes (i.e. NYC taxes). However, now that I am reading the definition of "resident" (you are a resident if your domicile is New York City) and "domicle" (the place you intend to have as your permanent home; or where your permanent home is located; or the place you intend to return to after being away), I do not think I was a NYC resident. Agree?

gchatbrah
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:26 am

Re: Summer Associate subject to NYC Local Taxes?

Postby gchatbrah » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:59 pm

NYC SA from last summer. You're not an NYC resident unless either (1) your domicile is NYC (it's not) or (2) you keep a permanent abode 11 months out of the year AND spend 184 days in the city. Even if that "and" were an "or" (it's not), you still weren't there for 184 days.

Importantly, I made this decision before the summer -- I checked "non-resident" on whatever the NYC equivalent is for a W-2. If you had NYC taxes withheld in your paycheck (you'll have to look), then you'll want to file in order to try and get it refunded. If you never had it withheld, no need to file -- I can promise you're not a resident.

MAapplicant
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Summer Associate subject to NYC Local Taxes?

Postby MAapplicant » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:05 pm

gchatbrah wrote:NYC SA from last summer. You're not an NYC resident unless either (1) your domicile is NYC (it's not) or (2) you keep a permanent abode 11 months out of the year AND spend 184 days in the city. Even if that "and" were an "or" (it's not), you still weren't there for 184 days.

Importantly, I made this decision before the summer -- I checked "non-resident" on whatever the NYC equivalent is for a W-2. If you had NYC taxes withheld in your paycheck (you'll have to look), then you'll want to file in order to try and get it refunded. If you never had it withheld, no need to file -- I can promise you're not a resident.


Thank you so much!

JAYINSD
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Summer Associate subject to NYC Local Taxes?

Postby JAYINSD » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:41 pm

I am a NYC resident. Do I need to pay double tax for my CA summer income?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.