DOJ and Public Defender conflicts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOJ and Public Defender conflicts

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:46 am

I was wondering, would public defender offices look unkindly on someone who worked at DOJ for a summer even if I was in the civil rights division rather than the prosecution division? What about people who work for firms during the summer but intern at public defenders' offices during the school year?

catinthewall

Re: DOJ and Public Defender conflicts

Postby catinthewall » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:23 pm

Neither one of those should be a problem because you weren't prosecuting, and even if you were, an internship in criminal prosecution isn't always going to kill your shot with the PD. If anything, I imagine the PD would look at the civil rights division as a positive.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ and Public Defender conflicts

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:44 pm

I've worked in both prosecution and PDs and had no problem. However, it sometimes does depend on the PD office. I've found that prosecution officers are more accepting of some past PD exp.

Return to “Legal Employment”