Am I at risk of losing my offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I at risk of losing my offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:14 pm

I don't want to give too many details, but I messed up pretty badly 1st semester of my 3L year. I was sick during finals and accidentally turned in a take-home exam late (I was delirious on too many cold meds and miscalculated the time). I was referred to the academic review board and no disciplinary action was taken, but my grade will show up as just "credit" instead of an actual grade. I'm so mad at myself for making this mistake and potentially screwing myself over.

All my other grades are pretty good. Close to top third of class as HYS. (Also- since the grades at my school aren't typical As and Bs, I'm hoping the "credit" grade somehow won't stick out as much.) I've accepted an offer from a biglaw firm and I'm not clerking. Will this put my offer in jeopardy?

Danger Zone

Re: Am I at risk of losing my offer?

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Nah

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:49 pm

Lots of schools let you take a course for credit for one reason or another. I went to one of HYS and I don't even know what the rules were/are for this at my own school. If I saw a "credit received" (or whatever) next to a class on a transcript, I would just assume that they let you sign up for it credit/no credit. Or I might think that the class was ungraded for everyone, as some classes are.

This is not going to be a problem for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks for replying. I'm feeling a little better knowing that at least a couple people don't think I'm totally screwed :)

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Nope. I think firms really only check to make sure you graduate. The only possible impact it may have on your career is if you decide to clerk -- if your GPA is a bit lower than it would have been--but also probably depends what class it was.

Postby 2014 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:39 pm

If only I could turn a class into P/F by turning stuff in late :(

I suppose all of yours are anyway though

jkech

Postby jkech » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to give too many details, but I messed up pretty badly 1st semester of my 3L year. I was sick during finals and accidentally turned in a take-home exam late (I was delirious on too many cold meds and miscalculated the time). I was referred to the academic review board and no disciplinary action was taken, but my grade will show up as just "credit" instead of an actual grade. I'm so mad at myself for making this mistake and potentially screwing myself over.

All my other grades are pretty good. Close to top third of class as HYS. (Also- since the grades at my school aren't typical As and Bs, I'm hoping the "credit" grade somehow won't stick out as much.) I've accepted an offer from a biglaw firm and I'm not clerking. Will this put my offer in jeopardy?

wow just wow. no offense bc i am sympathetic to you and this honestly could happen to anyone, but I just do not understand how T15 schools protect students like this. If I had done this at my TTT I would have failed the class, or at least gotten a D. It is bad enough that schools like HYS make up their own grading scales, which are by their nature extremely vague, but showing "credit" in this situation takes the cake. Having reviewed tons of HYS applications while I was clerking, I can say with confidence that you are absolutely right that it won't stick out at all and I bet no one will ever, ever ask you about this proabably in large part because the transcript as a whole that your school produces is unintelligible.

Return to “Legal Employment”