Advice for first-year prosecutor

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice for first-year prosecutor

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:41 pm

I'm about to start a job at a local prosecutor's office. Does anyone have any advice for me as a newbie, fledgling prosecutor? Not sure how much training I will receive, but I understand most offices that do give training usually don't train as to running a courtroom, plea negotiations, the tug of war in setting cases ready for trial, etc. Any advice/stories appreciated.

Please no "don't send innocent people to jail for a victimless crime" derailment. This is not a thread about criticizing prosecutors or how much you hate them.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice for first-year prosecutor

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Keep in mind that when you're new, defense counsel may try to get things past you (not all, but some). I've definitely had defense counsel say things like "I've NEVER seen a plea like this!!" when it's our standard plea and they've been practicing here for YEARS. (Judges will test you on stuff, too.) So try not to let them snow you.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice for first-year prosecutor

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:49 pm

This is more long term career advice, but always be preparing yourself for the next big move. And keep in mind that after about 5 years you'll only be able to do criminal law.

Return to “Legal Employment”