Asking for a day off as an SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DoubleChecks

Re: Asking for a day off as an SA

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 pm

skers wrote:It isn't a big a deal and no one really cares what summers do. As for long-lasting effects, lol. I'd be surprised if anyone even remembers the day off half-way through the summer. It's shitty solely for the fact you don't get to enjoy your wedding as much as you would otherwise w/r/t taking time off and a honeymoon and all that, but the 10 week interview stuff and blowback inferences here are hilarious.

I disagree; again, context matters. Taking a day off for a wedding? No problem at all imo. Taking a day off right after the long July 4th weekend for an anniversary? I personally wouldn't. I think that does reflect negatively on a person and a SA position is absolutely a 10 week interview...what did you think it was? The biggest knock against SAs, for why they get dinged, often times is lack of professionalism, not actually poor work product.

My comments are based on my own experiences summering at two separate biglaw firms and then as an associate at a biglaw firm. I also know the opinions of some of my colleagues in biglaw, anywhere from junior associates to partners, and their opinions on this vary. But the fact that it varies should say enough...why risk incurring points against you by some attorneys for no reason? Never know whose opinion carries more weight.

To clarify, again, for wedding? No problem! Huge event that no one would hold against you at all. In fact, if you ONLY took one day off for your wedding, I would almost be impressed! But, referring to OP's actual situation, taking an extra day off after an already long weekend to essentially play? It'd hurt him a tad, which may not matter in most cases, but would if the SA were on the bubble.

Maybe NYC firms differ from TX firms, though I would imagine TX firms are only more chill. People there were all great and very nice, whereas my dealings with NYC biglaw attorneys stressed me out for sure. But NYC might mean each individual flies under the radar that much more, shrugs. Just my 2 cents.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:53 pm

It's way easier to get no offed in Tx than NYC. A lot of NYC firms pretty much offer everyone who didn't try to lynch someone.

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:53 pm

guise but what if its his second marriage?

surely thats less important than irritating a firm yes?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:02 pm

Helioze wrote:guise but what if its his second marriage?

surely thats less important than irritating a firm yes?

The general rule at my firm is that you can take time off for the first three marriages.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:23 pm

Serious note: Is it okay to take 3 days off? It's for a consulting firm event during the 7-8th week of the SA.

TheOnePercent

Postby TheOnePercent » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Unsubscribe

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Serious note: Is it okay to take 3 days off? It's for a consulting firm event during the 7-8th week of the SA.

No.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It's way easier to get no offed in Tx than NYC. A lot of NYC firms pretty much offer everyone who didn't try to lynch someone.

Bit surprised to hear that, but I guess with sheer volume in NYC, breathing through 10 weeks of SA is good enough :P jp

The offer rate itself though in TX is not a good indicator, given nearly everyone splits with 2 firms so biglaw often no offers more when they assume a candidate is more likely to go to their split instead (or as biglaw says it, they did not have "as much time to spend with the SA and get to know him better"). Offer rates tend to be better for the few select that do not split at all.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Serious note: Is it okay to take 3 days off? It's for a consulting firm event during the 7-8th week of the SA.

No.

Again, based on my experiences at TX biglaw firms. As DF pointed out, NYC firms may be more lenient.

JAYINSD

Postby JAYINSD » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It's way easier to get no offed in Tx than NYC. A lot of NYC firms pretty much offer everyone who didn't try to lynch someone.

For sure, but it may also have something to do with "splitting summers very common in TX."

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:22 pm

JAYINSD wrote:

For sure, but it may also have something to do with "splitting summers very common in TX."

I'm not sure why that would change anything.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:26 pm

Holy hell I worry for your professional career

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Whereas in Texas, they encourage lynching.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JAYINSD wrote:

I'm not sure why that would change anything.

Firms "say" it is because they do not have as much time to spend with the SA and thus do not have as much work product to judge them by. Personally, I think it is a combination of some second half SAs not caring as much because they already felt great about their first half summer firm (good chunk are returning from 1L SAs) and more importantly, second half SAs (or even early first halfs) that miss out on meeting the right people/enough people due to lack of events (when they are at the firm) and just overall scarcity in time at the firm to leave a good enough impression to get an offer. There isn't usually as much time to make an impression or recover from a mistake. If you also chose a dept that the firm was downsizing on, not standing out hurts even more (for example, I know recent higher % of HOU biglaw dings were due to too many SAs wanting litigation while most biglaw in HOU is cutting down on lit).

Smaller class sizes leading to a bit more volatility in %'s (more in the negative direction) skews it a bit as well. NYC firms may have say 95% offer rates on 100 class summers or something, but even the largest firms in TX do not generally have summer classes larger than 45 people nowadays (VE maybe had almost 60 recently?). Their offer rates are around 85%. That 10% difference is what, 4-5 people?

So spending 6 weeks at a firm is noticeably different than someone spending 10 weeks at a firm, and which half you choose can matter quite a bit.

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Actus Reus wrote:

LOL at the response. LOL again at the juxtaposition of user name and post contents / implications.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:33 pm

Actus Reus wrote:

Eh. I say if you're going to take three days off to attend a consulting firm event, you may as well go all in and submit your travel expenses to the law firm for reimbursement. Put it down under "business development."

Return to “Legal Employment”