Unique C&F Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unique C&F Question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Gearing up to apply for the bar. About 5 years ago I collected unemployment insurance from the state where I'll be taking the bar. Didn't think much of it at the time--lost my job, applied for benefits, and got them. However, I'm now realizing that my receiving unemployment benefits may not have all been above board. I was a student for some of the time, and was also trying to start my own business for part of the time (a plan which generated no income).

I'm wondering what to do about this with regard to C&F. Is it premature to be consulting with/hiring a lawyer now? Should I do that at a later stage only if I'm called in for a C&F hearing? For the record, my bar application nowhere asks for information regarding public assistance.

sublime

Re: Unique C&F Question

Postby sublime » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:05 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 pm

OP Here:

At some point they became aware I was a student (if this wasn't when I applied, it was at later 'hearings' which I was required to go to do retain benefits). But, while I was permitted to receive them as a student, there are (apparently) many procedural hurdles I did not go through in order to *keep* receiving them. This is, obviously, in addition to my attending these hearings.

And that's to say nothing of my business venture....

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:26 pm

If a "business venture" doesn't make any money isn't it more of a hobby?

Return to “Legal Employment”