Newly barred and want to switch from consulting-->practicing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Newly barred and want to switch from consulting-->practicing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 pm

I am newly barred in CA and have been working in tax consulting the past 7 months at an accounting firm. It is not the job for me (for many reasons) and I really want to make the switch from consulting to either practicing (corporate or tax in a small firm), or finding a JD preferred position, such as a contracts negotiator, etc.

Some background info:
T50 school in a different region
graduated slightly above median
legal internships: in-house corporate & public sector
5 years experience with financial accounting/contract review prior to law school

Honestly I am looking for any suggestions on what are viable options to pursue because I have had a taste of billable hours with my current position and would rather just pursue JD preferred jobs.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Newly barred and want to switch from consulting-->practicing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am newly barred in CA and have been working in tax consulting the past 7 months at an accounting firm. It is not the job for me (for many reasons) and I really want to make the switch from consulting to either practicing (corporate or tax in a small firm), or finding a JD preferred position, such as a contracts negotiator, etc.

Some background info:
5 years experience with financial accounting/contract review prior to law school

Honestly I am looking for any suggestions on what are viable options to pursue because I have had a taste of billable hours with my current position and would rather just pursue JD preferred jobs.

I understand that this may not be what you are looking for, but what about consulting positions at your Big 4? I'm going to be starting one in a consulting practice post-graduation and your JD can be useful, and you're also getting experience with financial institutions. Exit opps also seem solid.

Anonymous User

Re: Newly barred and want to switch from consulting-->practicing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am newly barred in CA and have been working in tax consulting the past 7 months at an accounting firm. It is not the job for me (for many reasons) and I really want to make the switch from consulting to either practicing (corporate or tax in a small firm), or finding a JD preferred position, such as a contracts negotiator, etc.

Some background info:

I understand that this may not be what you are looking for, but what about consulting positions at your Big 4? I'm going to be starting one in a consulting practice post-graduation and your JD can be useful, and you're also getting experience with financial institutions. Exit opps also seem solid.

Consulting for Big 4 is a horrible idea for some people especially if you hate travelling constantly.

Return to “Legal Employment”