First Day at a SA....

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Re: First Day at a SA....

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:This is some pretty rancid anti-tuna sandwhich trolling even for you

Fair point.

And elterrible78: advising a SA to be "eager" isn't good advice. It sounds good in theory, but, for at least 90% of law students, eagerness manifests itself as a horrible amalgam of arrogance and social awkwardness. The same goes for "hard-charging," "a knack for legal analysis," and the other phrases that smallfirmassociate threw out there. (Btw, nice job, smallfirmassociate.)

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:10 pm

wear contrast collar pinstripes and french cuffs

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:17 pm

rpupkin wrote:
BigZuck wrote:This is some pretty rancid anti-tuna sandwhich trolling even for you

Fair point.

And elterrible78: advising a SA to be "eager" isn't good advice. It sounds good in theory, but, for at least 90% of law students, eagerness manifests itself as a horrible amalgam of arrogance and social awkwardness. The same goes for "hard-charging," "a knack for legal analysis," and the other phrases that smallfirmassociate threw out there. (Btw, nice job, smallfirmassociate.)

Yeah, I see your point. I get away from school for a couple weeks and I already have forgotten how law students are. I think a lot of that advice could be just fine (hard-charging notwithstanding) if people actually knew how to "do" those things without turning it into the "horrible amalgam" you mentioned.

At the same time, if the post actually was meant to be a joke (and I agree that it probably was), I'm not so sure it was a "nice job." When people ask questions like the OP's, they may seem silly, with common-sense answers, but they're probably earnest questions that deserve honest answers. I'm not so sure fucking with people who are nervous about starting what may be their first "big boy" jobs is particularly laudable. YMMV.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:31 pm

elterrible78 wrote:At the same time, if the post actually was meant to be a joke (and I agree that it probably was), I'm not so sure it was a "nice job." When people ask questions like the OP's, they may seem silly, with common-sense answers, but they're probably earnest questions that deserve honest answers. I'm not so sure fucking with people who are nervous about starting what may be their first "big boy" jobs is particularly laudable. YMMV.

As someone who has done a fair bit of trolling myself, I admit that your criticism is fair. The post was a little too on the mark. And I definitely could see a 2L--especially an eager, hard-charging 2L--taking the advice seriously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Sinchuk1012 wrote:
reasonable person wrote:Ask if you can meet some of the clients. Schedule dinner with named partners. (even if you are denied, it will show them you have confidence and initiative).

This is incredible. Someone do this and let me know what happens.

2 outcomes:

1.) Nice Partner: "I appreciate your initiative. On this particular instance, I will go with the client alone. Thanks though."

2.) Not-Nice Partner: No reply, immediately calls the recruiter, "What the fuck is wrong with your judgment?"

IDK why you'd want to have client convos, they're pretty awkward because you know nothing about the case:

Client: Where do you go to school?
Summer: Blah blah.
Client: How do you like it?
Summer: Blah de di blah. Where did you blah?
Client: Blah blah
Summer: Great school
Client: So what do you think about the case?
Summer: Hmmm.... (awkward pause). How about that weather?

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sinchuk1012 wrote:
reasonable person wrote:Ask if you can meet some of the clients. Schedule dinner with named partners. (even if you are denied, it will show them you have confidence and initiative).

This is incredible. Someone do this and let me know what happens.

2 outcomes:

1.) Nice Partner: "I appreciate your initiative. On this particular instance, I will go with the client alone. Thanks though."

2.) Not-Nice Partner: No reply, immediately calls the recruiter, "What the fuck is wrong with your judgment?"

IDK why you'd want to have client convos, they're pretty awkward because you know nothing about the case:

Client: Where do you go to school?
Summer: Blah blah.
Client: How do you like it?
Summer: Blah de di blah. Where did you blah?
Client: Blah blah
Summer: Great school
Client: So what do you think about the case?
Summer: Hmmm.... (awkward pause). How about that weather?

Certain this was a joke. most fifth year associates have not had dinner with a client...

SowhatsNU

Postby SowhatsNU » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:34 pm

tag

WHJTMG178

Postby WHJTMG178 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:38 pm

star fox wrote:What's so bad about ciabatta?

Partner Bread. Summer's can only have pumpernickel. Best part of becoming a 'mid level' is getting your Kaiser Roll at the year end review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:48 pm

So aside from my start date, I haven't received anything from the firm I'll be working at. Do I call and ask basics (like when to show up) or just assume that as I get closer to May they'll let me know?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So aside from my start date, I haven't received anything from the firm I'll be working at. Do I call and ask basics (like when to show up) or just assume that as I get closer to May they'll let me know?

They'll let you know. I mean, if it's literally the week before your start date and you haven' heard anything, send an email.

Return to “Legal Employment”