3L in a dilemma.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

3L in a dilemma.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Would you rather have 5 dollars now or wait 3 months and have a 70% chance at 100 dollars?

Ok bad example, but I have a similar problem. Summered for a mid-size law firm in a big city, that will pay over 100k. I will probably end up doing the work I want to do, and may even start working in my home city (another major city). However, as of now they haven't extended an offer, and likely won't until June or July. This is assuming they do give me an offer, which they TEND to give to past SA's at this point in the year.

This uncertainty however is stressing me out. I received an offer as In-House for an insurance company (i am not sure I want to do). The job would start in the middle of bum fuck no where, but I have been told I can transfer to my home state after a year or two. This place offers great benefits as well. They pay is substantially less at 65k.

Considerations: I have A LOT of debt from a T-14. I obviously want to be home at some point. What are possibilities of lateraling to better paying jobs in either of those?

Which would you pick? ANy other thoughts or things I should consider?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you rather have 5 dollars now or wait 3 months and have a 70% chance at 100 dollars?

Ok bad example, but I have a similar problem. Summered for a mid-size law firm in a big city, that will pay over 100k. I will probably end up doing the work I want to do, and may even start working in my home city (another major city). However, as of now they haven't extended an offer, and likely won't until June or July. This is assuming they do give me an offer, which they TEND to give to past SA's at this point in the year.

This uncertainty however is stressing me out. I received an offer as In-House for an insurance company (i am not sure I want to do). The job would start in the middle of bum fuck no where, but I have been told I can transfer to my home state after a year or two. This place offers great benefits as well. They pay is substantially less at 65k.

Considerations: I have A LOT of debt from a T-14. I obviously want to be home at some point. What are possibilities of lateraling to better paying jobs in either of those?

Which would you pick? ANy other thoughts or things I should consider?


Easy, take the insurance offer right now. Quit your insurance job or rescind the offer when the Midlaw becomes reality.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would you rather have 5 dollars now or wait 3 months and have a 70% chance at 100 dollars?

Ok bad example, but I have a similar problem. Summered for a mid-size law firm in a big city, that will pay over 100k. I will probably end up doing the work I want to do, and may even start working in my home city (another major city). However, as of now they haven't extended an offer, and likely won't until June or July. This is assuming they do give me an offer, which they TEND to give to past SA's at this point in the year.

This uncertainty however is stressing me out. I received an offer as In-House for an insurance company (i am not sure I want to do). The job would start in the middle of bum fuck no where, but I have been told I can transfer to my home state after a year or two. This place offers great benefits as well. They pay is substantially less at 65k.

Considerations: I have A LOT of debt from a T-14. I obviously want to be home at some point. What are possibilities of lateraling to better paying jobs in either of those?

Which would you pick? ANy other thoughts or things I should consider?


Easy, take the insurance offer right now. Quit your insurance job or rescind the offer when the Midlaw becomes reality.


Well that's what another question I had. Can i accept the officer for the insurance place, and July comes a long and the firm makes me an offer, can i then accept the firm's offer and rescind the insurance place? Do I have to inform anyone of anything? Is there some ethical issues/?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would you rather have 5 dollars now or wait 3 months and have a 70% chance at 100 dollars?

Ok bad example, but I have a similar problem. Summered for a mid-size law firm in a big city, that will pay over 100k. I will probably end up doing the work I want to do, and may even start working in my home city (another major city). However, as of now they haven't extended an offer, and likely won't until June or July. This is assuming they do give me an offer, which they TEND to give to past SA's at this point in the year.

This uncertainty however is stressing me out. I received an offer as In-House for an insurance company (i am not sure I want to do). The job would start in the middle of bum fuck no where, but I have been told I can transfer to my home state after a year or two. This place offers great benefits as well. They pay is substantially less at 65k.

Considerations: I have A LOT of debt from a T-14. I obviously want to be home at some point. What are possibilities of lateraling to better paying jobs in either of those?

Which would you pick? ANy other thoughts or things I should consider?


Easy, take the insurance offer right now. Quit your insurance job or rescind the offer when the Midlaw becomes reality.


Well that's what another question I had. Can i accept the officer for the insurance place, and July comes a long and the firm makes me an offer, can i then accept the firm's offer and rescind the insurance place? Do I have to inform anyone of anything? Is there some ethical issues/?


Why not? At will contract, unless you and that insurance company have specific clauses in the contract.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 pm

wouldn't there be some obligation to tell the firm that I have taken another offer?

didntretake
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 11:31 am

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby didntretake » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Can you contact the firm now and say you have another offer than needs an answer, but you would much rather come back to the firm, and see what they say? You might get an earlier "no" but at least you'd know what to do.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby 2014 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Take insurance and renege if the opportunity arises. The only obligation you have is whatever you need to do to sleep at night. Rest assured that if the insurance company's legal needs, corporate structure, profits, etc changed between now and June they would just as happily rescind your offer.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 pm

2014 wrote:Rest assured that if the insurance company's legal needs, corporate structure, profits, etc changed between now and June they would just as happily rescind your offer.


This is really all you need to know.

(Also, shed no tears for any insurance company, for any reason, ever.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:42 am

I think more specifically, the insurance work would be title/property related.

How easy/hard would it be then to go from In-House at a big insurance company to a mid/big firm (considering I summered for a large mid-level firm)? How easy/hard would it be to translate the skills I gain there, into doing something financially related, but not necessarily insurance? Could I then lateral somewhere where I can do property type cases?

I just don't want to be stuck doing Insurance stuff for the rest of my life.

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 3L in a dilemma.

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think more specifically, the insurance work would be title/property related.

How easy/hard would it be then to go from In-House at a big insurance company to a mid/big firm (considering I summered for a large mid-level firm)? How easy/hard would it be to translate the skills I gain there, into doing something financially related, but not necessarily insurance? Could I then lateral somewhere where I can do property type cases?

I just don't want to be stuck doing Insurance stuff for the rest of my life.

In my experience with hiring at a big firm in a tertiary market, if you had your summer at a large mid-level firm on your resume and then took the insurance company job, I'd assume the mid-level firm didn't want to give you an offer after your summer. So the fact that you summered there wouldn't help you get a job after doing the insurance gig, and might hurt you.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.