Disciplinary Action in Law School--C&F?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Honeysuckle

Re: Disciplinary Action in Law School--C&F?

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Visiting students graduate from their original.

Yeah, that's exactly what I am trying to do, but my original school needs to cooperate.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what I am trying to do, but my original school needs to cooperate.

So ask in July. I dunno why you keep pestering everyone about it now.

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:

Well, I have to first get readmitted to the original school before I can transfer to another school as a visiting student for my 3L year. Therein lies the problem.

What kind of grades do you need to transfer to a lower ranked school (the four local schools are TT/TTT)? I am below median but above a 3.0.

jepper

Postby jepper » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Bc he's crazy

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:

Well, I have to first get readmitted to the original school before I can transfer to another school as a visiting student for my 3L year. Therein lies the problem.

What kind of grades do you need to transfer to a lower ranked school (the four local schools are TT/TTT)? I am below median but above a 3.0.

You'd have to redo 2L year, and you impose a lot of risk on wherever you transfer to without really offering much insofar as 99% likely to pass the bar exam (if you had a GPA above median) or boosting their employment figures. I suppose for a TTT, you offer the ability to pay sticker and a decent chance of not counting towards the bar exam passage rate if you don't get to sit for it.

Your best bet is going to be to just stomach the first school. Travel back to meet with counselors if you need to or skype with them. I've left my law school for weeks at a time for no reason other than boredom, and kinda kept grades. If you have actually have a legitimate medical excuse I'm sure it'd be ok. Professors are human beings. Human beings have empathy. In addition, your grades are probably kinda fixed in at this point. The best thing you can do now is relax. Go to a beach, learn an instrument, write a book. Occupy your mind with something else. I don't know much about this, but when my back is soar I take it easy on the exercise. I'd imagine the brain is at least somewhat similar.

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:18 pm

What? No way in hell I am re-doing my 2L year or stomaching the original school. I want to visit away at a local school for my 3L year and have the credits transfer back to my original school. That way, I can continue my treatment with the same providers seamlessly. My original school has a class attendance policy so I can't just skip weeks of classes in a row so I can see my psychotherapist/psychiatrist/support group.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:19 pm

What information are you trying to get in this thread?

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:What information are you trying to get in this thread?

What grades do I need to transfer as a visiting student to a lower-ranked school? Will a 3.0 be sufficient?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Visiting isn't transferring. My understanding was that you needed a good reason to visit more than anything else. The schools you want to visit would be better equipped to answer this question, though.

I meant more, what do you hope to accomplish with this thread?

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Visiting isn't transferring. My understanding was that you needed a good reason to visit more than anything else. The schools you want to visit would be better equipped to answer this question, though.

I meant more, what do you hope to accomplish with this thread?

From the OP:

I had serious disciplinary issues in law school. I am wondering whether they will impact my C&F determination.

I was wondering if there were other students on this board with school disciplinary matters and wanted to know how to best address them when it comes to character and fitness. The attorneys I have consulted with for free have offered the same generic platitudes (be brutally honest, volunteer for legal aid, undergo treatment, etc.) but I was hoping to get more specific advice from students in a similar boat. I am sure there are other students out there with skeletons in their closet.

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:33 pm

That's kind of all you can do right now. Not sure why you're not satisfied with that advice.

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:40 pm

mmelittlechicken wrote:That's kind of all you can do right now. Not sure why you're not satisfied with that advice.

I'm satisfied with *most* of the advice I have received ITT, sans the bullying/stigmatization displayed by some.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:
mmelittlechicken wrote:That's kind of all you can do right now. Not sure why you're not satisfied with that advice.

I'm satisfied with *most* of the advice I have received ITT, sans the bullying/stigmatization displayed by some.

You've gotten all you are going to get. Further, given your obsession with this you probably have read more cases on the subject than many c&f lawyers. I would imagine the committee's concern will be that you freak out on clients or do things that jeopardize their case when somebody pushes your buttons. I don't see how volunteering for legal aid addresses this concern as much as chilling out, not contacting the dean nor administrative office and not filing lawsuits would.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:

It's not clear you're really listening to it, though, which is why I asked.

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:49 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:

You've gotten all you are going to get. Further, given your obsession with this you probably have read more cases on the subject than many c&f lawyers. I would imagine the committee's concern will be that you freak out on clients or do things that jeopardize their case when somebody pushes your buttons. I don't see how volunteering for legal aid addresses this concern as much as chilling out, not contacting the dean nor administrative office and not filing lawsuits would.

Volunteering with legal aid helps to show my rehabilitation. The attorneys I consulted with recommended that I volunteer my time. I will have my summer internship supervisor send a positive reference letter to the school as proof that I am stable.

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:

It's not clear you're really listening to it, though, which is why I asked.

I'm listening to the folks that tell me nice things like "take things one day at a time, be patient" etc. I don't listen to people like Desert Fox who mock me for having a mental illness.

DELG

Postby DELG » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:

I mean this thread/your history with the Internet sends a strong signal that you don't have your mania under control

guess I am just a bigot tho

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:53 pm

I can't handle this peasty victim complex.

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:53 pm

DELG wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:

I mean this thread/your history with the Internet sends a strong signal that you don't have your mania under control

guess I am just a bigot tho

I'm in a depressive phase right now.

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:55 pm

mmelittlechicken wrote:I can't handle this peasty victim complex.

I always take 100% responsibility for my actions. The bipolar INFLUENCED the misconduct. It did not EXCUSE the misconduct. I am not playing victim here.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:57 pm

I didn't mean DF. I meant that people are giving you advice and you just repeat the plan you already had when you started this thread. So to be honest, I agree with this:
DELG wrote:I mean this thread/your history with the Internet sends a strong signal that you don't have your mania under control

Obviously I'm not a medical professional, but from a lay perspective it seems like you're displaying a lot of obsessive behaviors in this thread and not actually listening to what people are saying.

Honeysuckle

Postby Honeysuckle » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I didn't mean DF. I meant that people are giving you advice and you just repeat the plan you already had when you started this thread. So to be honest, I agree with this:
DELG wrote:I mean this thread/your history with the Internet sends a strong signal that you don't have your mania under control

Obviously I'm not a medical professional, but from a lay perspective it seems like you're displaying a lot of obsessive behaviors in this thread and not actually listening to what people are saying.

I am listening to what the non-bully people ITT thread are saying. I am undergoing the necessary treatment and laying low until July.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I didn't mean DF. I meant that people are giving you advice and you just repeat the plan you already had when you started this thread. So to be honest, I agree with this:

It seems to all revert back to the party line she's been espousing regardless of whether it addresses the preceding comment "I didn't ask for this illness, but I'm doing what I can to prepare to beat it." Change illness to 9-11/Stalin/Great Depression, and I's to America and you have every US president since 1930.

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:26 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:

It seems to all revert back to the party line she's been espousing regardless of whether it addresses the preceding comment "I didn't ask for this illness, but I'm doing what I can to prepare to beat it." Change illness to 9-11/Stalin/Great Depression, and I's to America and you have every US president since 1930.

oh you stopped posting anon? brave

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:16 pm

My sister is bipolar and struggled throughout high school with manic outbursts that resulted in property damage, physical altercations, and struggles with school. So I understand the particular issues that come with bipolar disorder and the difficult path to stability. I empathize and sympathize with you, and I wish you well in your recovery and continued progress towards mental wellness. It is not an easy road - you need to focus on your mental health above all else - even school, becoming a lawyer, everything.

With that being said, I don't think your as stable as you believe you are - or at least you are projecting that you are not. From your online posts, you are projecting a manic thought process. You are obsessing over things that you have no control over at this point, as well as things that are contingent on other things happening first. You need to organize your thinking.

1. The first step will be trying to talk to the school about reinstating you. If you cannot get reinstated, there is no use in any of these worries you currently have. There is nothing you can do until July, when the school asked you to provide them with the information. In July, you need to provide them with exactly what they ask for. Nothing less, nothing more. Sending a bunch of irrelevant (I know you think they are relevant, but they are not relevant to the school which is all that matters) is not going to help matters. Send your medical information. Do not send things from professors, fellow students, or employers unless asked. It is unnecessary and considering your history with the administration, you don't want to aggravate them any more. Just do as they say, play by the rules, and cross your fingers. They did not kick you out because of your illness, they kicked you out because of your actions. I understand that your illness explains it. I get it, and I agree that there was a reason. However, these are the consequences of your actions - that's it. Your school has a right to ensure the safety of faculty, staff, and students. Unless they know that you are 100% safe to have around, they aren't letting you back in. So it's better for you to keep your head down and do exactly as they say with no challenge or struggle. The more you fight, the more they are going to want to fight back.

2. I know that you do not want to attend your current school for 3L. However, transferring is not a possibility. You HAVE to spend two years at the school that gives you your diploma. As has already been discussed, though, once you are allowed back into your school (if they in fact allow you back), you can apply to visit at a local school for 3L. However, you're going to have to disclose this on applications for other schools. They absolutely ask about these kind of things. That means that even if your current school lets you back in, there is no guarantee that you will be admitted to another school. You shouldn't worry about this until you hear back from your school.

3. It seems as though stress may be a trigger for you. It seems to me that you are stressed about being readmitted (understandably so, you have time and money invested). It is bringing out this obsession with certain small things without seeing the bigger picture. Could law school trigger this further - could it cause you to once again act out? Law school is stressful, as is the job process and the bar exam. Are you sure you are at a point where you can handle that? Have you thought about waiting longer to make sure that you are 100%?

4. The C & F process is going to be extremely difficult no matter what jurisdiction you apply to the bar in. Every state is going to have questions about this. That is another reason that you need to be extremely careful how you handle this situation now - because in a year or two, a group of people is going to be reviewing everything you did. But don't worry about C & F right now. You should try to tackle one thing at a time - first rea-dmittance to your current school, then admittance to another school to visit for 3L, then the bar and C & F, then a job. Do one thing at a time.

I wish you would objectively read some of these posts. While some of them are insensitive and in your opinion unhelpful, they may provide the same perspective that the law school administration may have. You need to respect that not everyone will understand, sympathize, or even care that you have an "explanation" for your actions. You can't force them to understand. You can only do whatever you can to move forward. But ignoring every opinion that you don't agree with because they don't accept you explanation is not a reason. You need to accept some of these things, and work within the paradigm. Without doing that, you aren't going to be able to do any of this. Also, know that your psychiatric treatment providers are good people and are there to help you. However, they cannot provide legal advice or help tell you what to do. They are likely afraid to share any dissenting opinion with you, for fear that you will stop seeking treatment or ignore their help. They are going to affirm your thinking - that's part of their job. That's another reason why other opinions, from non-involved parties, are so valuable.

I wish you good luck with whatever you pursue. Remember, nothing is more important than your health.

Return to “Legal Employment”