Disciplinary Action in Law School--C&F? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Honeysuckle

Bronze

Disciplinary Action in Law School--C&F?

Post by Honeysuckle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:09 pm

I had serious disciplinary issues in law school. I am wondering whether they will impact my C&F determination.

In fall 2013, I was placed on University Probation, which lasted for the academic year. In addition, the aggrieved individuals lodged a stay away order against me. Conduct in question was harassing, aggressive, belligerent behavior over the phone, email, and in person.

In May 2014, the probation was lifted. In addition, as of now, the stay away order has been lifted for all but 2 individuals.

In fall 2014, I was charged by my student conduct office with disorderly conduct, creating a community disturbance, failure to comply, and property damage. In addition, while the investigation was ongoing, I was given an interim suspension (not a sanction) and I was banned from campus. Later, my school gave me the option of doing a medical withdrawal in lieu of going thru the student conduct process and receiving a formal sanction. I am still not allowed on campus without the permission of the Dean.

During the medical withdrawal, I have been treated for bipolar disorder. I am under the care of a psychiatrist (monthly), a psychotherapist (weekly), and a bipolar support group (weekly). In addition, I am volunteering with legal aid in the interim to help show my rehabilitation. I will attempt to reenroll in law school in fall 2015, with the recommendation of my psychiatrist, psychotherapist, psychologist, and support group leader that I am not a danger to myself or others.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Disciplinary Action in Law School--C&F?

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:13 pm

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Northwetestn?

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:17 pm

sublime wrote:Sounds serious enough that I would consult with a C&F lawyer.
Is $3,500 a reasonable fee for an attorney to rep me in C&F? That's what one firm offered.

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Northwetestn?
Not confirming nor denying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mmelittlechicken

Gold

Post by mmelittlechicken » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:
Not confirming nor denying.
Guess that's a "confirm."

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:20 pm

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Based on the facts shared in your original post in this thread, $3,500 seems very reasonable.

When was your bipolar disorder diagnosed ? Were your mood variations caused by failure to take your medication, experimenting with different medications or due to an undiagnosed condition ?

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Based on the facts shared in your original post in this thread, $3,500 seems very reasonable.

When was your bipolar disorder diagnosed ? Were your mood variations caused by failure to take your medication, experimenting with different medications or due to an undiagnosed condition ?
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder (II) in 2014. Psychotherapist linked the prior disruptive behaviors to undiagnosed bipolar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:31 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Based on the facts shared in your original post in this thread, $3,500 seems very reasonable.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder (II) in 2014. Psychotherapist linked the prior disruptive behaviors to undiagnosed bipolar.
I think you will be fine. Just quote a few law firms or lawyers to see what is the current rate.

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:

I think you will be fine. Just quote a few law firms or lawyers to see what is the current rate.
$3,500 was the cheapest I came across. Other firms were offering $1,000 retainer plus steep hourly rates ($400/hour). I'm sure my case, given how messy it is, will take more than 10 hours to prepare.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:34 pm

In my layman's opinion, an undiagnosed medical condition is easier to overcome than when one refuses to take prescribed medication. Hope everything works out for you.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:38 pm

Look: State Bars are gonna look closely at you no matter what. And the burden is on you to show that you will be fit to practice law.

I worry that they will say that mental health issues are no excuse for prior actions. They care about your ability to help clients and function as a lawyer, not merely the degree of culpability for prior events. The spacing of events also doesn't make it seem like a one-off, but a pattern of events that went on until you eventually got the diagnosis (and presumably help) that you need. It doesn't look good.

I'm not an expert, but an initial consult should not cost $3,500. But if that's what the cost is, I'd recommend doing that over not getting the advice. Also: just be sure to disclose EVERYTHING when you go for the bar and don't get into any more trouble.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:42 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Look: State Bars are gonna look closely at you no matter what. And the burden is on you to show that you will be fit to practice law.

I worry that they will say that mental health issues are no excuse for prior actions. They care about your ability to help clients and function as a lawyer, not merely the degree of culpability for prior events. The spacing of events also doesn't make it seem like a one-off, but a pattern of events that went on until you eventually got the diagnosis (and presumably help) that you need. It doesn't look good.

I'm not an expert, but an initial consult should not cost $3,500. But if that's what the cost is, I'd recommend doing that over not getting the advice. Also: just be sure to disclose EVERYTHING when you go for the bar and don't get into any more trouble.
The initial consult is not $3,500; that's what the firm wants me to pay them for representing me in C&F.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm not so sure the hourly rate is a bad deal. The C&F issues will come up when it's time to be sworn to the bar. In my state, questionable cases might have a hearing before the highest appellate court. The ones this past year that got in front of court all involved fraud. That said, you will probably need to demonstrate to someone at some point that your disorder will not interfere with your ability to practice law. A C&F lawyer might help and it could take more than 10 hours. A consult, which is all you need now, shouldn't take that long.

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:51 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I'm not so sure the hourly rate is a bad deal. The C&F issues will come up when it's time to be sworn to the bar. In my state, questionable cases might have a hearing before the highest appellate court. The ones this past year that got in front of court all involved fraud. That said, you will probably need to demonstrate to someone at some point that your disorder will not interfere with your ability to practice law. A C&F lawyer might help and it could take more than 10 hours. A consult, which is all you need now, shouldn't take that long.
I've consulted with numerous attorneys for free consultations and they've given the same generic advice--disclose everything, volunteer with legal aid, continue treatment, etc.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Not meaning to out anyone, just noting that I've seen you ask this question several times and in several places. And I don't even read this board all that often/have read JD Underground once. Not sure what new light can be shed on it this time as the circumstances don't seem to have changed. My completely uninformed advice would be to stop soliciting opinions online, speak to someone who has actual knowledge of your situation (as opposed to vague stories), and move forward.
Last edited by bretby on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:00 pm

bretby wrote:
This person has posted extensively on JD Underground - and elsewhere on here I believe. I'm just too lazy to look it up right now. And I think she's at Temple.....somewhere in Philly, at least.
If you know me IRL please do not out me.

I might attend Temple, I might not. That's not relevant or helpful.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:20 pm

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:09 pm

sublime wrote:Stop trying to figure out where OP went/goes to school. It is irrelevant.
Agreed. Don't be a dick.

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:07 am

bretby wrote:
Not meaning to out anyone, just noting that I've seen you ask this question several times and in several places. And I don't even read this board all that often/have read JD Underground once. Not sure what new light can be shed on it this time as the circumstances don't seem to have changed. My completely uninformed advice would be to stop soliciting opinions online, speak to someone who has actual knowledge of your situation (as opposed to vague stories), and move forward.
I have spoken to people in real life about the situation, including family members, psychiatrists, psychotherapists, my bipolar support group, etc. I was just posing here because I was wondering if any other students have faced discipline in law school and how they have handled it. I want fresh perspective that I might not be able to obtain from people who have a vested interest in me (esp. family members).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:35 pm

What are my chances of transferring so I could complete my third year at a local school? I want to complete my JD at a local school so I could continue my treatment for bipolar disorder.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:What are my chances of transferring so I could complete my third year at a local school? I want to complete my JD at a local school so I could continue my treatment for bipolar disorder.
You must do 2 years at the school you transfer to. ABA rules.

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 pm

DELG wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:What are my chances of transferring so I could complete my third year at a local school? I want to complete my JD at a local school so I could continue my treatment for bipolar disorder.
Can't I just visit away at a local school and have their credits transfer back to my original school? Same thing.

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:30 pm

Honeysuckle wrote:
DELG wrote:
Can't I just visit away at a local school and have their credits transfer back to my original school? Same thing.
Someone at my law school did that for different reasons, but it seemed to work out just fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”