Quitting Midlaw due to Stress Related Illness, disclose?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quitting Midlaw due to Stress Related Illness, disclose?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:39 pm

I graduated last year and started a job at a midlaw firm (200+ attorneys). Even though the hours are nowhere near as bad as biglaw (I work 50-60 hour weeks), I've developed a stress/anxiety related health issue.

I want to quit this job, and move back home to live with my parents for a while, and hopefully get another job (maybe not even a law firm job) when I have my health issues under control.

To stay as "employable" as I can be, what is the best way to do this? Do I tell my employer that I have a health issue? If I don't, I can just say I want to move to be closer to family. At the same time, I feel like telling them about my health issue would be more honest and would help me leave on better terms. My work has been solid, and I've been on good terms with everyone. They are all nice people, and I know they'll be disappointed when I leave. I just want to leave on the best terms.

Unemployment insurance and/or cost is not an issue for me. I have no debt, I've saved a lot this year, and I'm lucky because my parents/significant other are willing to support me.

Thanks in advance for your help TLS. I feel like a failure for not managing my stress to survive in this "cushy" midlaw job (we're a firm that big law folks lateral to for the lifestyle change), but I just can't handle it anymore. Any advice on how to quit, similar situations, would be much appreciated.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: Quitting Midlaw due to Stress Related Illness, disclose?

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:08 pm

Just give two weeks notice.

I'd probably try to cop Employee Assistance Program (EAP) from your firm. I think they'll pay you while you get treated for stress.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 pm

Are you sure you have to quit? I'd consider approaching the firm about your health situation. They might be willing to give you medical leave. That way, you can take some time off (and even go live with your parents for awhile) while remaining technically employed.

If I were you, I'd worry a bit about finding another job while unemployed. If there's a way you can arrange to remain employed while looking for work, that might be better for you in the long run.

bjohnsobf

Postby bjohnsobf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:42 am

get diagnosed / request a reasonable accomodation see what they do.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:01 am

I wouldn't jump the gun on this. If you enjoy the work and the firm but feel as if you have a mental health condition that is preventing you from functioning I would get it officially diagnosed, maybe talk to a psych, and then approach your firm by stating that you love your job and want to stay but you have this condition that may take a little time to heal and you need either a reasonable accommodation or a leave of absence.

In the end you gotta do what you gotta do, and health and happiness should come well ahead of work, but I wouldn't be so quick to throw away a midlaw job that you like working you 50-60 hours a week if there is another alternative.

Also, do you know exactly what your anxiety stems from? What leads it to increase? If you can narrow down specifically where your issues are coming from it may be easier for you to find an accommodation that suits you (some people need to work from home a little, others just need a month off to recharge and be with family, etc.)

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:25 pm

The way I read this is that OP's stress/health issue was caused by his/her work environment, however nice his/her colleagues may be (i.e., "I just can't handle it anymore"). The people suggesting hanging onto this job seem to miss that. If you have no debt and supportive SO and family, there is no failure whatsoever in recognizing that you'd rather not remain in a position (associate at a firm) that is consistently rated one of the most miserable in the world. Go back home, figure out what you would love to do, and go for it.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:49 pm

champ33 wrote:The way I read this is that OP's stress/health issue was caused by his/her work environment, however nice his/her colleagues may be (i.e., "I just can't handle it anymore"). The people suggesting hanging onto this job seem to miss that. If you have no debt and supportive SO and family, there is no failure whatsoever in recognizing that you'd rather not remain in a position (associate at a firm) that is consistently rated one of the most miserable in the world. Go back home, figure out what you would love to do, and go for it.

The point is to keep the job to avoid a resume gap, which going on medical leave, instead of quitting, would accomplish.

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Health comes first, but your S.O. and parents might not be willing to support you forever. Everyone is "totally fine" with it at first and "wants you to be healthy" and all of that, but after six months or two years, those tunes can change. I've seen it happen many times.

You shouldn't feel like you have to keep your current job, but you should consider whether you can treat your issues while remaining employed, or at least picking up something back home PRIOR to leaving your job. Even if its part-time, it will signal to those helping you that you don't plan to take advantage of them.

Return to “Legal Employment”