Sharing office as a NYC associate - always same gender? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hdunlop

Bronze

Re: Sharing office as a NYC associate - always same gender?

Post by hdunlop » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:25 pm

alright guys the PC brigade was over the top comparing the earlier shit to racism but are you seriously acting like there's no reason for women to be concerned that men might attack them, professionally or otherwise, for rejecting unwanted advances?

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:31 pm

hdunlop wrote:alright guys the PC brigade was over the top comparing the earlier shit to racism but are you seriously acting like there's no reason for women to be concerned that men might attack them, professionally or otherwise, for rejecting unwanted advances?
You have it backwards. Can an attractive man not express legitimate concerns about the professional consequences of rejecting the unwanted advances of objectively less attractive female colleagues? Did you not see the image of DF's body posted a few pages ago? There's only so much temptation a person can resist.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:35 pm

There will almost always be someone in the office you want to fuck, regardless of whether they're in your office. It will almost never be a good idea.

Why the fuck is this thread at 150 posts again?

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:There will almost always be someone in the office you want to fuck, regardless of whether they're in your office. It will almost never be a good idea.

True, but (while it shouldn't be an issue given that most lawyers, both male and female, are very average looking), there is something to be said about removing temptation in the workplace.

I'm guessing if a woman shared an office with 5 FC Barcelona soccer players who wore speedos all day, there'd be a greater temptation to cheat than if her officemate was Cheryl from Contracts. Admittedly, it works both ways.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:11 pm

lol heterosexuals just lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 pm

"I'm bisexual so I need my own office FOR THE SAKE OF MY MARRIAGE"

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:22 pm

yeah the real ljl here is sharing offices. new york ljl

also criminal underappreciation of DF's work itt

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:23 pm

(Paul Hastings Office Manger furiously taking notes)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:49 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:There will almost always be someone in the office you want to fuck, regardless of whether they're in your office. It will almost never be a good idea.

True, but (while it shouldn't be an issue given that most lawyers, both male and female, are very average looking), there is something to be said about removing temptation in the workplace.

I'm guessing if a woman shared an office with 5 FC Barcelona soccer players who wore speedos all day, there'd be a greater temptation to cheat than if her officemate was Cheryl from Contracts. Admittedly, it works both ways.
Yeah, but is it really gonna save your marriage if the hot girl is four doors down rather than in your office? If your work wife isn't your office mate, you'll just find a new one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:04 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:"I'm bisexual so I need my own office FOR THE SAKE OF MY MARRIAGE career"
This is TCR. Can't be having people hit on me all day and have to fend off their advances to the detriment of my future. No spurned hopeful lovers ever want to help you climb the corporate ladder after said spurning.

As they say in A Knight's Tale, "Beauty is such a curse. . ."

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Hey y'all, if you could share stories about banging your office-mates that would do wonders for this thread, thanks in advance.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Mods pls move this thread to the lounge.

It seems to me very few associates would care enough to complain about a same-gender office mate. If one person has a preference, why wouldn't you accommodate them? I think it's easy to imagine a situation where there's no irrational jealousy or fear of actually cheating in the marriage but my spouse feels like "if given a choice I'd rather he/she didn't" and I also feel like "if given a choice I'd rather not."

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:08 pm

On a more serious note, I'd way rather make sure my office-mate, whatever gender, cared about sports. Nothing is worse than sharing a room all day with someone who doesn't get sports. Ugh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Instinctive wrote:On a more serious note, I'd way rather make sure my office-mate, whatever gender, cared about sports. Nothing is worse than sharing a room all day with someone who doesn't get sports. Ugh.
why? you only wanna talk about DEPORTES? you can't just shoot the shit?

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

chimp wrote:
Instinctive wrote:On a more serious note, I'd way rather make sure my office-mate, whatever gender, cared about sports. Nothing is worse than sharing a room all day with someone who doesn't get sports. Ugh.
why? you only wanna talk about DEPORTES? you can't just shoot the shit?
I can do a lot of things. But I want to talk about FA, trades, playoff chances, matchups, fantasy leagues, playoffs, trash talk about whose team is better...

If we're gonna open up the floodgates of letting me pick an office mate based on random criteria of my choice, I'm going with the ones that make more likely to like the person, rather than merely tolerate them. Life is more enjoyable when conversations are about the things you like.

I suppose that's why I'll be working in sports and not a law firm though.

DrRighteous

Gold

Post by DrRighteous » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm 100% against shared offices. Biglaw hours are miserable and if my spouse insists on working in BigLaw I want him to be as miserable and alone as possible. Office mates might mean friendship or even begrudging acceptance of his existence, and I can't tolerate that.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:14 pm

DrRighteous wrote:I'm 100% against shared offices. Biglaw hours are miserable and if my spouse insists on working in BigLaw I want him to be as miserable and alone as possible. Office mates might mean friendship or even begrudging acceptance of his existence, and I can't tolerate that.
Since we have heard from plenty of lawyers/law students already, I'm curious what you, as a spouse, think.

Would you be concerned about infidelity if your SO shared an office with an attractive female, knowing full well that they would be spending many long hours and late nights together?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DrRighteous

Gold

Post by DrRighteous » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:27 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
DrRighteous wrote:I'm 100% against shared offices. Biglaw hours are miserable and if my spouse insists on working in BigLaw I want him to be as miserable and alone as possible. Office mates might mean friendship or even begrudging acceptance of his existence, and I can't tolerate that.
Since we have heard from plenty of lawyers/law students already, I'm curious what you, as a spouse, think.

Would you be concerned about infidelity if your SO shared an office with an attractive female, knowing full well that they would be spending many long hours and late nights together?
I'm being serious here. I don't like the idea of him having friends.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 pm

DrRighteous wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:

I'm being serious here. I don't like the idea of him having friends.
hahahhahahaaahaaa

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:43 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Hey y'all, if you could share stories about banging your office-mates that would do wonders for this thread, thanks in advance.
I'm surprised Chimp missed this.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:48 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Hey y'all, if you could share stories about banging your office-mates that would do wonders for this thread, thanks in advance.
I'm surprised Chimp missed this.
definitely didn't miss it. just chose to ignore it to avoid going COMPLETELY INSANE.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”