3l - Offer just got taken away. What to do now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3l - Offer just got taken away. What to do now?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:55 pm

3L at t-14. Worked for a mid-size law firm last summer, and have connections in some way to LA,Chi,NY,DC (in order of strength). I did mostly litigation this past summer. My offer just got taken away and I am now in a really shitty position. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

Apply to firms?(ob mid-size/small size)- Do they hire right now? Should I just mass mail every single one in every place i have a connection?

Public interest? DA/PD? I have interned for the government before, but I have no criminal law on my resume. I have not taken Trial Ad or evidence yet (and it is too late now).

What else are my options? What is your advice?

Nomo

Re: 3l - Offer just got taken away. What to do now?

Postby Nomo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Is there anyone at your old firm that is familiar with your work and willing to go to bat for you? If so, I would try to get them to help make some calls to other firms.

Beyond that, you're stuck in the same place as everyone else. Network, apply to whatever openings you can find, mass mail, etc. It sucks. And I'm sorry this happened to you. But you're not the only T-14 3L without a job right now, not by a long shot. And most of you will end up finding something, even if its not what you wanted, and not anywhere near the salary you wanted. You do have to changer your goals and mindset at this point.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Jesus, sorry dude. There is 3L hiring for law firms but it's sporadic - the Vale thread can elucidate further.

At the least you should out the firm so others know who's at risk. Would be interested in hearing what rationale, if any, was given.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Out the firm.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:01 pm

arklaw13 wrote:Out the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L at t-14. Worked for a mid-size law firm last summer, and have connections in some way to LA,Chi,NY,DC (in order of strength). I did mostly litigation this past summer. My offer just got taken away and I am now in a really shitty position. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

Apply to firms?(ob mid-size/small size)- Do they hire right now? Should I just mass mail every single one in every place i have a connection?

Public interest? DA/PD? I have interned for the government before, but I have no criminal law on my resume. I have not taken Trial Ad or evidence yet (and it is too late now).

What else are my options? What is your advice?

Did you have big law offer? If so, why do you choose this middle law over big law? Can you contact your previous big law offer firm?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:56 pm

Ugh sorry to hear that.
- If you have recs, send out apps to state court judges.
- Also, contact your career services office and see if there are any fellowships (at T14s, these are often legitimate means of transitioning to a real job).
- Tap any contacts you have in any of the markets you listed

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:03 pm

Sorry, OP. That sucks.

Did you get along with anyone at the firm that just rescinded your offer? These kinds of no-offer decisions are usually made for financial reasons; there might be attorneys at the firm who think well of you. You could reach out to someone you liked/worked with and ask for advice or help. They might be able to put you in touch with a contact at another firm in the city. I think it's worth trying, at least.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:45 pm

It is NOT too late to clerk. Send out those apps, talk to Profs this week regarding who can write you a letter. Depending on how your firm feels about this they might be able to give you a letter too if that's an issue.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:14 am

If OP is same as poster from another thread, there's no firm to out. It was Fed.

DELG

Postby DELG » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 am

Call the recruiter of any firm that offered you a summer position.

seizmaar

Postby seizmaar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 am

BVest wrote:If OP is same as poster from another thread, there's no firm to out. It was Fed.

out the agency/congressman

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:59 am

seizmaar wrote:
BVest wrote:If OP is same as poster from another thread, there's no firm to out. It was Fed.

out the agency/congressman

NLRB has been rescinding honors program offers. Was this NLRB?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:48 am

I assume, judging by the OP, that it was his 2L SA midlaw firm that rescinded the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:14 am

Wait what how did this thread change from a mid-law firm taking away an offer to a Fed agency taking away an offer?

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:20 am

My lack of re-reading the OP and jumping to conclusions.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:47 am

OP, what did they give for the reason? This is shady. Definitely out the firm so people know for future reference.

Return to “Legal Employment”