Need advice on my frustrating situation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need advice on my frustrating situation

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:57 pm

I recently graduated have been looking for work regularly for 6 months now and have no luck. I regularly get interviews (2 a week) and have been rejected for all of them. Part of it is because I moved to a new market in Washington on the west coast, to be closer to my wife. However, I am not even striving for firms, but rather a prosecutor position.

I have numerous prosecution internships with misdemeanor trial experience during law school. I know my resume is impressive because interviewers tell me so and I interviewed in Queens, Manhattan, philly, miami, suffolk, and the like. Yet, I have been rejected at 6 prosecution offices in the past month and have no where to turn other than my home state of Wisconsin. Should I give up and go back to school? I have heard that after a year you are basically unhireable. Any truth to that? It seems like it is more my personality at this point

Anonymous User

Re: Need advice on my frustrating situation

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:44 pm

If I were you, I would first determine my priorities: proximity to spouse/location versus position-type.

If location is your priority, I would open up the job search beyond prosecutor positions. Secure a legal job (any legal job) in your desired location, gain some experience, network in your local area, and then consider trying again for local prosecutor positions in a couple of years.

If being a prosecutor is your priority, consider being more geographically flexible. Even rural areas need prosecutors, and those less desirable locations are less competitive. Once you've gained some experience, you'll have more pull when you request to relocate.

Stay flexible. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 am

I had a friend that landed a sweet gig after being unemployed for 2.5 years after school. Keep at it.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:06 pm

Definitely expand your search beyond prosecution jobs, your OP makes it sound like you're considering going back to school rather than accepting a non-prosecutor position, which is insane.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:11 pm

Just curious, what part of Washington are you in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 pm

I was offered a job at a firm for 45k and no benefits. That's worse than prosecution. Should I take it or go back to school?

psteele99

New

Post by psteele99 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:46 am

Prosecution jobs in the Seattle area are really low. Try the private firms. They pay well. I have heard rumblings from some classmates that they are being offered 100k out the gate. That's different in Tacoma and Snohomish County. Stay flexible and look at private firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”