Surprising Find

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itascot1992

Surprising Find

Postby itascot1992 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:54 pm

Had a guest at my restaurant tonight who works for Robinson and Cole in NYC. Out of curiousity, checked their website and looks at about five of their associates. They were from Boston U, Case Western (2), Roger Williams (WTF) and fordham.... This makes no sense with the common TLS response. Were all of these people #1 in their classes?

prezidentv8

Re: Surprising Find

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:10 pm

itascot1992 wrote:Had a guest at my restaurant tonight who works for Robinson and Cole in NYC. Out of curiousity, checked their website and looks at about five of their associates. They were from Boston U, Case Western (2), Roger Williams (WTF) and fordham.... This makes no sense with the common TLS response. Were all of these people #1 in their classes?

That's actually completely consistent with the common TLS response. Which is based on probability, not impossibility.

DELG

Postby DELG » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Do they pay market? Glancing at their practices I am guessing no

itascot1992

Postby itascot1992 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:17 pm

DELG wrote:Do they pay market? Glancing at their practices I am guessing no

there salaries are not listed obviously

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:23 pm

I'm sure this firm is fine, but it's not really contrary to conventional wisdom that some place no one has heard of hires people from those schools.

DELG

Postby DELG » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm

itascot1992 wrote:
DELG wrote:Do they pay market? Glancing at their practices I am guessing no

there salaries are not listed obviously

I didn't look for a NALP form but still guess no

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:31 am

itascot1992 wrote:Had a guest at my restaurant tonight who works for Robinson and Cole in NYC. Out of curiousity, checked their website and looks at about five of their associates. They were from Boston U, Case Western (2), Roger Williams (WTF) and fordham.... This makes no sense with the common TLS response. Were all of these people #1 in their classes?

Not everyone that gets hired is a T14 in big law. I'm a TTT and pulled a V100 SA offer(not the same as a real offer I know but still). I'm URM and IP. However, I do plan on transferring to a T14.

But the point is that there are some gems at some small schools. What I didn't have in prestige I made up for with flawless interviewing and networking.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:34 am

Nobody is shocked that a medium sized firm that has practices in insurance defense, construction lit, trust and estates, land use, and real estate, chooses to hire from outside the T-14. Now if you tell us that they are starting associates at 100k and that they are hiring more than one a year, then we'd say that this is an atypical firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”