Why do you like Big law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Why do you like Big law?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:43 pm

This is a thread to share wins/good days/uplifting big law anecdotes.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:47 pm

There is a shitton of money in my bank account.

lurkerlarry
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby lurkerlarry » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:48 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:There is a shitton of money in my bank account.


would you describe it as one metric shitton?

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:51 pm

lurkerlarry wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:There is a shitton of money in my bank account.


would you describe it as one metric shitton?


I would describe it as 1/7th of the shitton of debt I have and 1/12 of the shitton of debt me and my SO have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Money, excellent training/connections and got me my dream legal job (outside of big law). The work was really interesting at first but once you come up the learning curve it becomes more and more routine and the amount of paper-pushing becomes more stifling.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:28 pm

allows me to defer deciding what I actually want to do with my career for an extra 3-5 years while paying me more money than is reasonable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:32 pm

This is going to sound terrible but my firm has a ton of support staff and I like having so many people around trying to make my life easier. I can assign out a huge portion of the shit I just don't want to do.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is going to sound terrible but my firm has a ton of support staff and I like having so many people around trying to make my life easier. I can assign out a huge portion of the shit I just don't want to do.


What kind of stuff are you talking about? Formatting of documents/proofreading?

I was surprised to find that a major big law firm in my market (not a major city) had an in-house person whose sole job was to proofread every document that would be filed to catch any typos or bluebook errors.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Friends and family back home, who don't know any better, think I'm doing something interesting

KM2016
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby KM2016 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:54 pm

I realize that this is firm specific (and sometimes even practice group specific), but at least in my experience I appreciate that biglaw firms treat you like an adult. To illustrate what I mean...

It's nice that I can go home most days at 6 to be with family and work remotely for a few hours if need be. It's nice that I can leave the office to get lunch or coffee with a friend and not have people checking up on me. It's nice to have my own office (as opposed to a cublicle like in many other professional offices) where I can listen to music or have a game streaming on my second screen. It's nice to be able to work remotely without offending anyone/raising eyebrows if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or if my car is in the shop. And finally, the money is great 8)

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15410
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:00 pm

..

KM2016
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby KM2016 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:03 pm

sublime wrote:
KM2016 wrote:I realize that this is firm specific (and sometimes even practice group specific), but at least in my experience I appreciate that biglaw firms treat you like an adult. To illustrate what I mean...

It's nice that I can go home most days at 6 to be with family and work remotely for a few hours if need be. It's nice that I can leave the office to get lunch or coffee with a friend and not have people checking up on me. It's nice to have my own office (as opposed to a cublicle like in many other professional offices) where I can listen to music or have a game streaming on my second screen. It's nice to be able to work remotely without offending anyone/raising eyebrows if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or if my car is in the shop. And finally, the money is great 8)



What type of market are you in?


Non-NYC major market. At a firm with literally no facetime requirement, and it goes a long way towards associate quality of life.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15410
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:15 pm

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:27 pm

I love how this thread is on its first page and the "Why do you hate Biglaw" thread is on its third

To be expected I guess

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:26 pm

KM2016 wrote:I realize that this is firm specific (and sometimes even practice group specific), but at least in my experience I appreciate that biglaw firms treat you like an adult. To illustrate what I mean...

It's nice that I can go home most days at 6 to be with family and work remotely for a few hours if need be. It's nice that I can leave the office to get lunch or coffee with a friend and not have people checking up on me. It's nice to have my own office (as opposed to a cublicle like in many other professional offices) where I can listen to music or have a game streaming on my second screen. It's nice to be able to work remotely without offending anyone/raising eyebrows if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or if my car is in the shop. And finally, the money is great 8)


I asked an associate at my firm (NYC) about her schedule (litigation practice group) and was surprised to hear that she's able to leave 630 or so, go home, have dinner, then work 3 or so hours before bed. This sounds much much much better to me than staying at office until midnight, working for 3 hours and sitting around for 2.5 hrs waiting to get work or hear back about something.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:28 am

What a life! Getting to eat dinner at home before working until 11 pm every night!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm a first year, so the newness hasn't worn off. I really like most of the work I've done so far. Of course, there are tedious things, but I've gotten a fair amount of "we want x, get me a research memo on how, and go draft the motion/brief/etc." Those assignments are my favorite. I feel like I'm actually using my brain and doing what I always pictured I'd be doing.

I also work for a really great office and group of partners. For the most part, my assignments have only come from partners. They've been very willing to hear my ideas about strategy, let me do most of the drafting (well, the first shot at the drafting), and have been quick to offer feedback. The feedback has been most good, but still helpful when it's negative. No one in my group yells or reams people out (that I've experienced/heard about), which is a plus. Also, most people seem to actually like what they do. It helps.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a first year, so the newness hasn't worn off. I really like most of the work I've done so far. Of course, there are tedious things, but I've gotten a fair amount of "we want x, get me a research memo on how, and go draft the motion/brief/etc." Those assignments are my favorite. I feel like I'm actually using my brain and doing what I always pictured I'd be doing.

I also work for a really great office and group of partners. For the most part, my assignments have only come from partners. They've been very willing to hear my ideas about strategy, let me do most of the drafting (well, the first shot at the drafting), and have been quick to offer feedback. The feedback has been most good, but still helpful when it's negative. No one in my group yells or reams people out (that I've experienced/heard about), which is a plus. Also, most people seem to actually like what they do. It helps.


This is great to hear--thanks for contributing.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a first year, so the newness hasn't worn off. I really like most of the work I've done so far. Of course, there are tedious things, but I've gotten a fair amount of "we want x, get me a research memo on how, and go draft the motion/brief/etc." Those assignments are my favorite. I feel like I'm actually using my brain and doing what I always pictured I'd be doing.

I also work for a really great office and group of partners. For the most part, my assignments have only come from partners. They've been very willing to hear my ideas about strategy, let me do most of the drafting (well, the first shot at the drafting), and have been quick to offer feedback. The feedback has been most good, but still helpful when it's negative. No one in my group yells or reams people out (that I've experienced/heard about), which is a plus. Also, most people seem to actually like what they do. It helps.


Genuinely happy for you. I'm glad it works out for sme.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:50 pm

KM2016 wrote:
sublime wrote:
KM2016 wrote:I realize that this is firm specific (and sometimes even practice group specific), but at least in my experience I appreciate that biglaw firms treat you like an adult. To illustrate what I mean...

It's nice that I can go home most days at 6 to be with family and work remotely for a few hours if need be. It's nice that I can leave the office to get lunch or coffee with a friend and not have people checking up on me. It's nice to have my own office (as opposed to a cublicle like in many other professional offices) where I can listen to music or have a game streaming on my second screen. It's nice to be able to work remotely without offending anyone/raising eyebrows if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or if my car is in the shop. And finally, the money is great 8)



What type of market are you in?


Non-NYC major market. At a firm with literally no facetime requirement, and it goes a long way towards associate quality of life.

For what it's worth, I think this description applies to most California big law offices.

Lawyerrr
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Lawyerrr » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 am

I like my job. Favorite part is working on a team and working on high-profile deals.

One caveat is that I think liking big law would be tough if you're married with kids, which I'm not.

User avatar
bruinfan10
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:44 am

rpupkin wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
sublime wrote:
KM2016 wrote:I realize that this is firm specific (and sometimes even practice group specific), but at least in my experience I appreciate that biglaw firms treat you like an adult. To illustrate what I mean...

It's nice that I can go home most days at 6 to be with family and work remotely for a few hours if need be. It's nice that I can leave the office to get lunch or coffee with a friend and not have people checking up on me. It's nice to have my own office (as opposed to a cublicle like in many other professional offices) where I can listen to music or have a game streaming on my second screen. It's nice to be able to work remotely without offending anyone/raising eyebrows if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or if my car is in the shop. And finally, the money is great 8)



What type of market are you in?


Non-NYC major market. At a firm with literally no facetime requirement, and it goes a long way towards associate quality of life.

For what it's worth, I think this description applies to most California big law offices.

Does that apply to LA too? I know it applies in SF, but I'm thinking of making the switch, and the big-3 CA firms all have much larger offices in LA--just hoping they don't have harder facetime reqs as a result.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:07 pm

rpupkin wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
sublime wrote:
KM2016 wrote:I realize that this is firm specific (and sometimes even practice group specific), but at least in my experience I appreciate that biglaw firms treat you like an adult. To illustrate what I mean...

It's nice that I can go home most days at 6 to be with family and work remotely for a few hours if need be. It's nice that I can leave the office to get lunch or coffee with a friend and not have people checking up on me. It's nice to have my own office (as opposed to a cublicle like in many other professional offices) where I can listen to music or have a game streaming on my second screen. It's nice to be able to work remotely without offending anyone/raising eyebrows if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or if my car is in the shop. And finally, the money is great 8)



What type of market are you in?


Non-NYC major market. At a firm with literally no facetime requirement, and it goes a long way towards associate quality of life.

For what it's worth, I think this description applies to most California big law offices.


This has also been my experience in the DC office of a Cali-based firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:08 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:I realize that this is firm specific (and sometimes even practice group specific), but at least in my experience I appreciate that biglaw firms treat you like an adult. To illustrate what I mean...

It's nice that I can go home most days at 6 to be with family and work remotely for a few hours if need be. It's nice that I can leave the office to get lunch or coffee with a friend and not have people checking up on me. It's nice to have my own office (as opposed to a cublicle like in many other professional offices) where I can listen to music or have a game streaming on my second screen. It's nice to be able to work remotely without offending anyone/raising eyebrows if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or if my car is in the shop. And finally, the money is great 8)




Non-NYC major market. At a firm with literally no facetime requirement, and it goes a long way towards associate quality of life.

For what it's worth, I think this description applies to most California big law offices.

Does that apply to LA too? I know it applies in SF, but I'm thinking of making the switch, and the big-3 CA firms all have much larger offices in LA--just hoping they don't have harder facetime reqs as a result.


Yes, it does apply to LA as well, including at both CA-based firms and satellite offices. LA is very laid back as far as biglaw goes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Why do you like Big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:35 pm

What about the houston BigLaw culture?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.