Biglaw to Compliance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw to Compliance

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:39 pm

I've seen a few threads about compliance opportunities for law students. What about for first or second year biglaw associates? Would first/second years be looking at analyst or associate positions? Are banks mainly looking for people with bank regulatory experience or would an M&A/securities background be competitive as well? Any other insight on the viability/desirability of this career path would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw to Compliance

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've seen a few threads about compliance opportunities for law students. What about for first or second year biglaw associates? Would first/second years be looking at analyst or associate positions? Are banks mainly looking for people with bank regulatory experience or would an M&A/securities background be competitive as well? Any other insight on the viability/desirability of this career path would be appreciated.

The two people I know who went into compliance after biglaw (one after a year, the other after two years) both went in to investment banks at the AVP (assistant Vice President) level. This is higher than those who went in right out of law school who came in at the analyst level. From what I understand their salaries were around 120-130k and they both work 9-5 with a very stable schedule. They both absolutely love it compared to biglaw, although the work is really boring. Both also had an M&A background in biglaw. They found the jobs through contacts at the banks. It seems like a desirable position if you value getting paid a good salary while working 9-5 more than how interesting your work is.

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw to Compliance

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:50 pm

That's helpful. Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”