Filling one year between graduation and clerkship - PI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Filling one year between graduation and clerkship - PI

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fill a one-year gap between graduation and Art. III clerkship? Have looked into lots of 1-year fellowships, which seem to be my best bet, but am wondering if there's anything else out there besides these fellowships and going to a big firm (which I have been advised would be doable but a slightly tough sell given my PI resume and lack of OCI and departure in 1 year, and which also just doesn't really move the ball for me in terms of my long-term goals).

2L at HYS, top 20%, didn't do OCI; going to spend 2L summer at public interest employer that rarely hires straight-out. Lots of public interest and plaintiff's firm experience pre- and during law school; focused on NYC and greater NYC area. Long term goals are private public interest/national non-profit/gov lawyer work.

Thanks!

Gold

Re: Filling one year between graduation and clerkship - PI

Post by 84651846190 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:42 am

andale andale momma PI PI uh ohhhhhhhhhh. what's happenin now?

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:43 am

I think one-year fellowships are by far your best bet to fill such a temporary gap. (Trying to get an entry level job with the intention of ditching it after a year seems so not ideal. And like maybe you could apply to the kinds of places you would be interested in working after your clerkship and see if they would be interested in you having on board after your clerkship too, but that seems like a really difficult request for most nonprofits and even most private public interest given funding restrictions and irregular/unpredictable hiring schedules. You could also try to get a clerkship to precede the one you already have, maybe a less prestigious position like a magistrate or state court or one of those vacancies that opens up at the last minute on OSCAR, but that's probably not your best or most reliable bet.)

Plenty of private public interest firms hire fellows for one year (ranging the spectrum from Relman Dane & Colfax and Goldstein Borgen to less established firms that try to pay you in skittles). And then in addition to national nonprofits like the ACLU several local labor unions and community-based nonprofits also hire fellows. Aim for experience that will support your post-clerkship job applications and keep an eye out for random postings, and you should be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:03 pm

k5220 wrote:I think one-year fellowships are by far your best bet to fill such a temporary gap. (Trying to get an entry level job with the intention of ditching it after a year seems so not ideal. And like maybe you could apply to the kinds of places you would be interested in working after your clerkship and see if they would be interested in you having on board after your clerkship too, but that seems like a really difficult request for most nonprofits and even most private public interest given funding restrictions and irregular/unpredictable hiring schedules. You could also try to get a clerkship to precede the one you already have, maybe a less prestigious position like a magistrate or state court or one of those vacancies that opens up at the last minute on OSCAR, but that's probably not your best or most reliable bet.)

Plenty of private public interest firms hire fellows for one year (ranging the spectrum from Relman Dane & Colfax and Goldstein Borgen to less established firms that try to pay you in skittles). And then in addition to national nonprofits like the ACLU several local labor unions and community-based nonprofits also hire fellows. Aim for experience that will support your post-clerkship job applications and keep an eye out for random postings, and you should be fine.
OP here. thanks, this is helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”