Best investment book(s) for beginners

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SweetrollStealer

Re: Best investment book(s) for beginners

Postby SweetrollStealer » Sun May 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Another thing worth noting: you will probably be restricted from actively trading individual stocks as long as you are working at a law firm (i.e., you will have to have trades approved by the firm and you may be entirely precluded from making a trade in certain circumstances). So not only are the diversified index funds recommended ITT good financially, as long as you work at a law firm you won't have many other options anyway.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon May 04, 2015 11:18 am

SweetrollStealer wrote:Another thing worth noting: you will probably be restricted from actively trading individual stocks as long as you are working at a law firm (i.e., you will have to have trades approved by the firm and you may be entirely precluded from making a trade in certain circumstances). So not only are the diversified index funds recommended ITT good financially, as long as you work at a law firm you won't have many other options anyway.

Though this is true enough, you can still invest to the extent there are no conflicts. About once a month, I send an email to the firm with the stocks I am interested in purchasing (I typically hold my positions for a long time) to get the "go ahead." I haven't had a "you can't do that moment yet."

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Mon May 04, 2015 11:21 am

Curious about this. How serious is it? If I have a small handful of tech stocks, I'd I end up doing ip would I have to divest? Or say baby Berk and insurance law. Or Big Railroad law.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 pm

hdunlop wrote:Curious about this. How serious is it? If I have a small handful of tech stocks, I'd I end up doing ip would I have to divest? Or say baby Berk and insurance law. Or Big Railroad law.

I have baby berk and a few others that I, stupidly, did not divest in before starting. A couple of those on the list I won't be able to sell until I leave the firm without raising flags. But most of those are blue chip and I would hold on to them anyway for dividend income. The stocks I have looked into after arriving at the firm have no raised any issues so I haven't had that much trouble with the rules.

Return to “Legal Employment”