V100 SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V100 SA

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:57 pm

How tough are the projects assigned to an SA? I'm extremely excited to have locked down a 1L SA but now my focus is towards getting myself mentally prepared.

shock259

Re: V100 SA

Postby shock259 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Not tough.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:39 pm

They are typically either 1) the associate/partner already knows the answer, and has you research to confirm 2) the associate/partner is almost positive there is no answer/case, and has you research to confirm.

What can be stressful is usually they do not tell you what they already know, so it can be stressful trying to find a case on some narrow issue where they are almost positive there is no case, and there is no case, but you don't know that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 am

They're not difficult, and you shouldn't feel the need to be "mentally prepared." The assignments (at least in the litigation context) are generally easy research questions and you'll have tons of time before the deadline. The most important thing is to make sure you understand and comply with the instructions, such as the deadline and the jurisdiction. It will be obvious if you failed to follow directions, but it's less likely an attorney will catch any substantive errors (though you should have plenty of time to ensure you've correctly answered the question).

It's also critical to ensure that your assignments are well-written and free of spelling and grammar errors. It's not uncommon for firms to keep a record of every written assignment you do, and to compile them all for the hiring committee to review as the summer ends. You don't want your assignments to look sloppy.

Most of the no-offers at my firm, and most stories of which I'm aware, involve socially inappropriate behavior, not work-product. The summer assignments aren't demanding, so it's rare for a summer associate to be no-offered for work-product reasons.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:48 am

They're joke cases, bro. And if they aren't, more than a couple people have already researched the issue before you did.

Return to “Legal Employment”