Take the DC Bar Exam?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Take the DC Bar Exam?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Since DC lets everyone waive in, the consistent advice I've gotten was to take another jurisdiction, and I had planned on taking Maryland (because easier than Virginia apparently). However, my firm recently let the incoming associates know that they strongly encourage us to take DC bar exam because waiving in leads to a much longer delay to be admitted to the DC bar. The consequences of that delay are something like being unable to sign pleadings and to take the lead on pro bono matters. Any advice? Particularly if you did waive in to DC, I'd love to hear how long it took. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Take the DC Bar Exam?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:11 pm

I had a minor CF issue and it took over a year. For others, it has taken 9 months to a year to waive in. Kind of a rough spot with your firm preferring it. Hurts your mobility options. Small firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Also keep in mind that the waiver is not automatic - it requires a 133 MBE. Which, some people *cough* miss by a tiny margin of 1.5 points :oops:

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Since DC lets everyone waive in, the consistent advice I've gotten was to take another jurisdiction, and I had planned on taking Maryland (because easier than Virginia apparently). However, my firm recently let the incoming associates know that they strongly encourage us to take DC bar exam because waiving in leads to a much longer delay to be admitted to the DC bar. The consequences of that delay are something like being unable to sign pleadings and to take the lead on pro bono matters. Any advice? Particularly if you did waive in to DC, I'd love to hear how long it took. Thanks.

If the firm is pushing it, I'd definitely lean toward taking the DC Bar, as annoying as it may be.

2015LLMGrad

Postby 2015LLMGrad » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:53 am

If the firm will pay for it, take both MD and DC. Other than the pain of sitting through a second test there is very little extra studying needed for DC. That said, if you're desire is to practice in the DC metro area you should consider taking the VA bar rather than MD. More "DC" firms are in Tyson's Corner than Bethesda.

I waived into DC this past year. Cost was about $800 and it took over a year from the time I applied before I was sworn in.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:21 am

2015LLMGrad wrote:If the firm will pay for it, take both MD and DC. Other than the pain of sitting through a second test there is very little extra studying needed for DC. That said, if you're desire is to practice in the DC metro area you should consider taking the VA bar rather than MD. More "DC" firms are in Tyson's Corner than Bethesda.

I waived into DC this past year. Cost was about $800 and it took over a year from the time I applied before I was sworn in.

Strong advice, although most of the job listings I am currently seeing are for MD attorneys in the DMV area.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:58 am

vandalvideo wrote:
2015LLMGrad wrote:If the firm will pay for it, take both MD and DC. Other than the pain of sitting through a second test there is very little extra studying needed for DC. That said, if you're desire is to practice in the DC metro area you should consider taking the VA bar rather than MD. More "DC" firms are in Tyson's Corner than Bethesda.

Strong advice, although most of the job listings I am currently seeing are for MD attorneys in the DMV area.

It is good advice, but then I'd definitely take DC first and then take MD or VA in February. As far as I know, all three are offered on the same days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:28 pm

OP here. Thank you all very much. Really helpful information, and I hadn't even thought of the possibility of taking a second on in February.

Return to “Legal Employment”