1 minute walk commute vs. 6-10 min drive

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: 1 minute walk commute vs. 6-10 min drive

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:35 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:also gives u zero excuse for coming back in for "emergencies"

yeah i definitely wouldn't advertise that I lived literally across the street.

Me and the other junior made our midlevel come back to work while she was barfing from food poisoning because she was 2 blocks away at home and we were at the NATs game. Don't let anyone know.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:also gives u zero excuse for coming back in for "emergencies"

yeah i definitely wouldn't advertise that I lived literally across the street.

Me and the other junior made our midlevel come back to work while she was barfing from food poisoning because she was 2 blocks away at home and we were at the NATs game. Don't let anyone know.

my point exactly

also, 180 move bro

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:31 pm

ruski wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Why the hell would you want to live across the street from your office? Are you that committed to having your entire life revolve around work?

yea unless its a sweet area dont live across street from work

ill reiterate that when shit hits the fan, ull be the first one they call to go into office if they know how far away u live

do any of you work in biglaw? this doesn't make any sense. if you're staffed to deal B, you are responsible for everything on deal B. not like one day there will be a 7am fire drill and partner will be like, you know what, jon lives across the street, lets just call him in to handle this aspect of the deal. and when staffing deals staffing partners look at peoples hours, not where people live.

OP this is awesome set up. it would be nice to disappear on a slow afternoon and just go home and be with SO/clean up/grocery shopping/do other stuff around house. nothing worse than having a dead afternoon and just staring at your screen till 7pm. there is nothing worse than doing nothing all day at work, coming home at 7 or 8, and then doing chores all evening.
cool enjoy living on 6th Avenue

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:39 pm

IMO a 6-10 minute commute by car is IDEAL. Especially if the office is in a shitty part of town to chill out in.

Also I'm jelly as fuck of small town biglaw.

My commute is like minmum 10 min walk unless I asked OBama if I could live in tehi white house.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:18 pm

ruski wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Why the hell would you want to live across the street from your office? Are you that committed to having your entire life revolve around work?

yea unless its a sweet area dont live across street from work

ill reiterate that when shit hits the fan, ull be the first one they call to go into office if they know how far away u live

do any of you work in biglaw? this doesn't make any sense. if you're staffed to deal B, you are responsible for everything on deal B. not like one day there will be a 7am fire drill and partner will be like, you know what, jon lives across the street, lets just call him in to handle this aspect of the deal. and when staffing deals staffing partners look at peoples hours, not where people live.

OP this is awesome set up. it would be nice to disappear on a slow afternoon and just go home and be with SO/clean up/grocery shopping/do other stuff around house. nothing worse than having a dead afternoon and just staring at your screen till 7pm. there is nothing worse than doing nothing all day at work, coming home at 7 or 8, and then doing chores all evening.

ya im a midlevel, sup?

i get that easy access has its advantages, but id rather die than live right next to office...setting boundaries to the extent possible in biglaw has kept me here for as long as I've lasted

but different strokes or whatev

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:30 pm

i live close. i hate commuting so its totally worth it. if im not swamped i go home for lunch for 1-1.5hours. i sleep in until 850 almost every day. being close to the office allows me to be in the office less hours and sleep more hours. tomorrow i have some calls in the morning and late afternoon/evening, so ill go to work do some calls, go home for a few hours in the middle of the day and watch march madness then go back to work for my afternoon calls.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:37 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:i live close. i hate commuting so its totally worth it. if im not swamped i go home for lunch for 1-1.5hours. i sleep in until 850 almost every day. being close to the office allows me to be in the office less hours and sleep more hours. tomorrow i have some calls in the morning and late afternoon/evening, so ill go to work do some calls, go home for a few hours in the middle of the day and watch march madness then go back to work for my afternoon calls.

I would actually hate that schedule. When I go home I want to be done for the day. Going back and forth would make me nuts. (But my schedule is also pretty predictable/humane so if I were in biglaw I might feel differently.)

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:38 pm

Why don't you just take the calls at home.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:40 pm

the team usually takes them in a conference room.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:48 pm

i get that some people want to be far from work. not saying either is better. just letting OP know his gut reaction is probably the right answer. i always like to be close for the reasons i stated. and i love it so far even though people think im crazy when i tell them where im at. people in biglaw are on call 18 hours a day regardless of where they live. if i left work to go to my home 30 mins away by train and i get an email to do something for tomorrow, you still have to do that at home. this just gives me the option to go into the office to do something that might be easier to do in the office, if i want to do it.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:56 pm

For the record this is not biglaw. And judging by the other associates, I'll be working 9:30 to 6:30 leaving more times at 6 than 7. The 1.5 mile drive at 6 though could take 20 mins in traffic though. I guess I could get a bike but then people might think I don't like girls or am a jimmy johns delivery man.

seizmaar

Postby seizmaar » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:jimmy johns delivery man.

\
wait why are you wearing super tight black cut offs to work?

Return to “Legal Employment”