Asking to Work an Extra Week or Two as an SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whitecollar23

Asking to Work an Extra Week or Two as an SA

Postby whitecollar23 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:30 am

Does anyone know what the policy with this is? Is it taboo to ask for an extra week or two of work as an SA? Most programs end a month before the new semester, and an extra week or two of pay could go a long way during the year.

DELG

Re: Asking to Work an Extra Week or Two as an SA

Postby DELG » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:34 am

i don't think it can hurt to ask but like, firms set the length for budget reasons. They aren't getting the money back in billables, so you're basically just asking for more money in a context where it's more like a hiring bonus than a salary.

whitecollar23

Postby whitecollar23 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:38 am

DELG wrote:i don't think it can hurt to ask but like, firms set the length for budget reasons. They aren't getting the money back in billables, so you're basically just asking for more money in a context where it's more like a hiring bonus than a salary.

So basically don't ask unless I could find a precedent?

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:42 am

whitecollar23 wrote:
DELG wrote:i don't think it can hurt to ask but like, firms set the length for budget reasons. They aren't getting the money back in billables, so you're basically just asking for more money in a context where it's more like a hiring bonus than a salary.

just don't

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:40 am

Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but what if your Biglaw firm does a shorter than average summer? My firm says that they haven't decided how long the summer program will be- if it's less than the standard 10 weeks, can I ask for a longer summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:43 am

I asked and they didn't revoke my offer. If they no offer you for this they were probably going to no offer you anyway.

alphamalek

Postby alphamalek » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:35 am

One way to do this is to express interest in another practice area of law which the firm practices but in different office. So you end up splitting at the firm across two offices and get an extended summer. I know people who split this way with the tail end of their summer being overseas with the firm.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:17 am

Yeah don't ask, I think it shows a naivety and obliviousness of the reality that your SA is, essentially, a chance for you to play pretend lawyer on the firm's dime for a summer. An SA is just an extended, paid interview - you are not generating revenue (practically (if not actually) all your hours are written off),so staying longer just costs the firm more money without providing the firm any benefit.

Asking to stay longer is just you asking to milk the easy money train for longer - bad look.

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:32 am

mmelittlechicken wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:

just don't

NAGL.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:20 am

A number of firms (including the one at which I'll be summering) do indeed allow SAs to continue working, either into more of the summer, or into the school year. If approved to do so, one is usually hourly from that point. I had a conversation about this at a firm dinner recently.

Perhaps asking about this in this context might prove fruitful; who knows? It's hard to imagine letting them know that you'd be interested if the opportunity arose would get you dinged. At most it might come across as a bit Try Hard, but I mean, Biglaw.

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 am

As a summer you just want to be super grateful and glad to be there. Asking for more time could come off as entitlement.

deepseapartners

Postby deepseapartners » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:59 am

star fox wrote:As a summer you just want to be super grateful and glad to be there.

This is all that matters

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:19 am

My friend was asked to stay because they needed the manpower in his small-ish practice area. I don't think it's a good look to ask - or do anything proactive as a SA though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:20 pm

I actually know two people who did this

One had asked to do work part-time throughout the school year. They paid him pro-rata. I'm not sure what the details of his situation was or how he was able to do this but I know he made bank.

Another had asked for a couple weeks of work at the end of summer and they granted it to him. He was also a incoming 2L (had a 1L SA)

I have no idea how they did this but it is possible

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually know two people who did this

One had asked to do work part-time throughout the school year. They paid him pro-rata. I'm not sure what the details of his situation was or how he was able to do this but I know he made bank.

Another had asked for a couple weeks of work at the end of summer and they granted it to him. He was also a incoming 2L (had a 1L SA)

I have no idea how they did this but it is possible

Same at my firm, two people worked through the school year. Think those practice areas really needed help though.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:28 pm

My firm regularly has summers stay on for an extra week or so, or indefinitely on an hourly basis. Not sure whose initiative it is, but usually it's someone in a small practice area (T&E, High net worth, sovereign wealth, etc.), and mostly because there's so much on-the-job training that it's the most cost effective to train them.

Return to “Legal Employment”