2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bumi

Re: 2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread

Postby Bumi » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:47 pm

MBR859 wrote:I keep going back and forth about bidding at Loyola. I'm at a T30 school with ~3.7 GPA (likely around top 15%). I have a B.S. in Neuroscience (patent bar eligible) and worked in a few different labs during undergrad, but that's as far as my science background goes. With that, I know I would only really be qualified (and only actually want to do) patent litigation. I'm not 100% sold on doing patent work at all though, although I do find it interesting, and I definitely want to make the most out of OCI on my campus. I mostly want to increase my chances of getting a job in general...

I'm wondering if bidding at Loyola has any effect on interviews at regular OCI? Could I hurt my chances on campus OCI by doing Loyola? Especially since I don't have a very hard science background?

The details are slightly different, but this is almost exactly the situation I faced. I decided to do PLIP and was INCREDIBLY glad I did. There are many firms at PLIP that aren't likely to be at your oci. Just bid on those. Also, I bid on a lot of cities that I want targeting at oci. For me, there was zero overlap between the firms I bid on at PLIP and on campus, so there was no downside. At worst it's a one-day interviewing bootcamp that gets you ready for oci, and at best you'll have some extra callbacks and offers, which only help you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:26 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:About me: CCN medianish (3.2). MechE UG, significant WE, reg. patent agent
Bidding strategy question: Is it a waste to bid Paul Weiss or Skadden at PLIP? Will they reach down to a 3.2 for IP hiring?

I have no idea how competitive you'd be at those two firms, but as a general rule, I would say that firms emphasize different qualifications for lit than they do pros.

At firms that do pros (pretty much all of the boutiques plus a few GP), you'll be very competitive. These firms will care a lot about your undergrad major, uGPA, and your having passed the patent bar.

Firms that are only looking to hire for lit will care more about your law school GPA. Your school rank is strong, and your other IP credentials are good, so I'd guess you'd have a shot of pulling a screener/CB from top firms, but it depends how deep firms are digging for patent lit associates this year.

Some firms are hiring for specialized tech transactions practice groups. I don't know what they'll be looking for, but I'd guess it would be closer to the patent lit qualifications - T14 students with high law school GPA.

You probably don't have a shot at a V20. Those firms simply don't do enough patent lit (and no pros) to warrant bringing on someone whose credentials are significantly lower than their average just for that mech e degree. Go for the boutiques.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:About me: CCN medianish (3.2). MechE UG, significant WE, reg. patent agent
Bidding strategy question: Is it a waste to bid Paul Weiss or Skadden at PLIP? Will they reach down to a 3.2 for IP hiring?

I have no idea how competitive you'd be at those two firms, but as a general rule, I would say that firms emphasize different qualifications for lit than they do pros.

At firms that do pros (pretty much all of the boutiques plus a few GP), you'll be very competitive. These firms will care a lot about your undergrad major, uGPA, and your having passed the patent bar.

Firms that are only looking to hire for lit will care more about your law school GPA. Your school rank is strong, and your other IP credentials are good, so I'd guess you'd have a shot of pulling a screener/CB from top firms, but it depends how deep firms are digging for patent lit associates this year.

Some firms are hiring for specialized tech transactions practice groups. I don't know what they'll be looking for, but I'd guess it would be closer to the patent lit qualifications - T14 students with high law school GPA.

You probably don't have a shot at a V20. Those firms simply don't do enough patent lit (and no pros) to warrant bringing on someone whose credentials are significantly lower than their average just for that mech e degree. Go for the boutiques.

Does this change at all with an EE degree? Same grades (medianish), T10, 2 years WE in industry, 1L BigLaw SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From personal experience, I am compelled to advise people ITT: if you don't have a technical degree, don't bother going. It'll be a waste of your time/money. Virtually nobody gets a job at PLIP unless they have a CS/EE/ME/Physics BS or a PhD in chemistry.

Please support this broad sweeping generalization with some sort of proof.

Edit: anon cuz i fall into the above category.

There was a time when patent lit was so hot that a high ranked T14er could get a job at PLIP. But patent lit is quickly dying and firms are barely hiring in that area even for people with STEM degrees. And if you are a high ranked T14er, you'll get a job at OCI anyway.

If you want proof just google: patent litigation slowdown.

I dont doubt that you could be right, although you could be making a generalization.

However, why would these firms put NO bar eligibility required and NO special background required if they were searching for specific credentials. If they felt the way you say, why have to sift through automatic NO applications?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From personal experience, I am compelled to advise people ITT: if you don't have a technical degree, don't bother going. It'll be a waste of your time/money. Virtually nobody gets a job at PLIP unless they have a CS/EE/ME/Physics BS or a PhD in chemistry.

Please support this broad sweeping generalization with some sort of proof.

Edit: anon cuz i fall into the above category.

There was a time when patent lit was so hot that a high ranked T14er could get a job at PLIP. But patent lit is quickly dying and firms are barely hiring in that area even for people with STEM degrees. And if you are a high ranked T14er, you'll get a job at OCI anyway.

If you want proof just google: patent litigation slowdown.

I dont doubt that you could be right, although you could be making a generalization.

However, why would these firms put NO bar eligibility required and NO special background required if they were searching for specific credentials. If they felt the way you say, why have to sift through automatic NO applications?

I don't know why firms do that, but they might figure it cant hurt to look at more resumes and who knows, one out of a hundred non-tech people might be a real gem (but again, that gem would have gotten an oci offer anyway.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:

Does this change at all with an EE degree? Same grades (medianish), T10, 2 years WE in industry, 1L BigLaw SA.

EE and we definitely help, but it will vary by office/region. I still think Skadden is a definite no, but Ropes/WilmerHale would be a possibility.

MBR859

Postby MBR859 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Bumi wrote:
MBR859 wrote:I keep going back and forth about bidding at Loyola. I'm at a T30 school with ~3.7 GPA (likely around top 15%). I have a B.S. in Neuroscience (patent bar eligible) and worked in a few different labs during undergrad, but that's as far as my science background goes. With that, I know I would only really be qualified (and only actually want to do) patent litigation. I'm not 100% sold on doing patent work at all though, although I do find it interesting, and I definitely want to make the most out of OCI on my campus. I mostly want to increase my chances of getting a job in general...

I'm wondering if bidding at Loyola has any effect on interviews at regular OCI? Could I hurt my chances on campus OCI by doing Loyola? Especially since I don't have a very hard science background?

The details are slightly different, but this is almost exactly the situation I faced. I decided to do PLIP and was INCREDIBLY glad I did. There are many firms at PLIP that aren't likely to be at your oci. Just bid on those. Also, I bid on a lot of cities that I want targeting at oci. For me, there was zero overlap between the firms I bid on at PLIP and on campus, so there was no downside. At worst it's a one-day interviewing bootcamp that gets you ready for oci, and at best you'll have some extra callbacks and offers, which only help you.

Thanks for the reply! One of my issues is I'm pretty set on 1 of 2 cities and all the firms I'm eligible for from those cities (don't require phd/engineering) will be at OCI... Would it still be worth it do apply to the same firms? Or should I just bid on some other cities I normally wouldn't but also wouldn't be opposed to moving to?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:25 pm

MBR859 wrote:Thanks for the reply! One of my issues is I'm pretty set on 1 of 2 cities and all the firms I'm eligible for from those cities (don't require phd/engineering) will be at OCI... Would it still be worth it do apply to the same firms? Or should I just bid on some other cities I normally wouldn't but also wouldn't be opposed to moving to?

I don't know how your oci works or what your stats are or whatever, and I don't know what these markets are. I am surprised that there aren't any patent boutiques in those cities that you could just take a shot at via PLIP.

So I'm not sure what your best strategy should be. I used it mostly for your second idea: if I strike out at oci completely, where else would I be willing to live/work? when I did it, ties didn't seem to be that important even to areas of the country that usually care about ties.

I am pretty sure there are some firms where you're could get a job through PLIP but by the time your summer rolls around, they won't remember or care whether you still wanted to do patent lit. But most of my PLIP experiences were very clearly only so they could hire a patent person, and if you don't want to label yourself as that (particularly now that partner lit isn't as hot) then maybe it's rational not to risk it.

gimmedanger

Postby gimmedanger » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:47 pm

people without STEM degrees - what is your bidding strategy?

is it best to ignore whether employers want to you to be patent bar eligible and just throw a bid down for every firm you are interested it, or do you only apply for firms where the qualifications seem more relaxed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:35 pm

gimmedanger wrote:people without STEM degrees - what is your bidding strategy?

is it best to ignore whether employers want to you to be patent bar eligible and just throw a bid down for every firm you are interested it, or do you only apply for firms where the qualifications seem more relaxed?

Bid for the firms you can't get at your OCI, and go for general practice firms from a litigation angle, not an exclusively IP angle. With the currently poor state of the litigation job market, *No* firm is going to hire a non-STEM to do patent work alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:44 pm

Should we put GPAs (undergraduate and law) on our resumes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should we put GPAs (undergraduate and law) on our resumes?

Yes that's one of the most important items on your resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should we put GPAs (undergraduate and law) on our resumes?

Yes that's one of the most important items on your resume.

But since we are submitting our transcript as well, is it really necessary?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Transcript is used by recruiting manager to confirm your GPA that you wrote on your resume. No attorney is actually going to see your transcript. If you don't write it, expect that to be the first question in your interviews.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transcript is used by recruiting manager to confirm your GPA that you wrote on your resume. No attorney is actually going to see your transcript. If you don't write it, expect that to be the first question in your interviews.

UG GPA: Unless you're doing lit. I only got this question asked for prosecution positions. Never in lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2015 1:24 pm

Hey!! Is anyone having trouble with submitting applications? After the extended deadline, Symplicity says that the apps can come in until 11:59 today but the bidding options are greyed out like the period has closed (even after default resume/transcript upload). This is a pain because there is no way to talk to anyone about it - anyone having this same problem?

EDIT: fixed after deleted resume and re-upload

nelue

Postby nelue » Wed May 06, 2015 4:36 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Transcript is used by recruiting manager to confirm your GPA that you wrote on your resume. No attorney is actually going to see your transcript. If you don't write it, expect that to be the first question in your interviews.

UG GPA: Unless you're doing lit. I only got this question asked for prosecution positions. Never in lit.

I had a few screeners last year at PLIP. The attorneys interviewing me looked at my transcripts and asked questions about things I did in certain undergrad classes....so they may actually see your transcript. Both Lit and prosecution positions. Just an FYI
Last edited by nelue on Wed May 06, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Did anyone get an email from Sterne Kessler requesting them to submit application to their site as well? Was this sent to all those who bid on them? I guess im hoping it was only sent to those who they wish to interview at PLIP, however I could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2015 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get an email from Sterne Kessler requesting them to submit application to their site as well? Was this sent to all those who bid on them? I guess im hoping it was only sent to those who they wish to interview at PLIP, however I could be wrong.

I got one as well. I bid on them. Something similar happened last year with McDermott ...I believe it turned out to go to those who bid on them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get an email from Sterne Kessler requesting them to submit application to their site as well? Was this sent to all those who bid on them? I guess im hoping it was only sent to those who they wish to interview at PLIP, however I could be wrong.

I got one as well. I bid on them. Something similar happened last year with McDermott ...I believe it turned out to go to those who bid on them.

Oh well. I guess we will see eventually.

mrscooter

Postby mrscooter » Thu May 07, 2015 9:23 am

2L here, did PLIP last summer, CS background, T30, can take questions if anyone has them. Got offers for both pros and lit from PLIP, but chose a lit group.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2015 5:44 pm

So to those of you applying 3L...did the amount of firms seem pitifully low? I mean, 68 options compared to 84 last year - and half are firms like F&L that have like 15 locations they list individually (even though they ask people to apply to one). As a bio major, I found myself applying to many firms outside my background area and my geographical area. Of course, I would totally accept a job someplace I had never been for the salary, firm, and the subject matter. This makes me wonder... does a top thirdish bio major at a T30 school with the patent bar have any chance in hell at this thing? Or am I just shooting in the dark?

Last year I spent over $1000 on travel and hotel so I am wondering what the point is where you realize you aren't wanted because of all the dam CSC/engineering majors and pHds. And, if I miss the mark 3L at loyola, is it time for me to abandon patent?

KingsCup

Postby KingsCup » Thu May 14, 2015 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:

You never know, I was a 2L last year with a 3.15 from a T20, ME, no WE, and I got interviews with firms ranked as highly as Jones Day and Sidley Austin. Going this year as a 3L with much better statistics, also disappointed in the firms interviewing, but there are a number of firms that I would be incredibly happy to work at, and hoping I've got a decent shot at those

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Sorry if this has answered, but when exactly do we get results?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 21, 2015 5:23 pm

In my year (2010) we got our interview schedule the third week of June

Return to “Legal Employment”