2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kcdc1

Re: 2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread

Postby kcdc1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if bidding unsuccessfully or a failed screener in PLIP in any way effects your chances with that firm via mass mail or OCI

Doubt bidding unsuccessfully would hurt your chances, but it might indicate that they weren't particularly impressed by your resume.

A failed screener could hurt. A lot of firms say they want to screen you only once - either at PLIP or OCI. I'm sure this varies firm-to-firm tho.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:31 am

kcdc1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if bidding unsuccessfully or a failed screener in PLIP in any way effects your chances with that firm via mass mail or OCI

Doubt bidding unsuccessfully would hurt your chances, but it might indicate that they weren't particularly impressed by your resume.

A failed screener could hurt. A lot of firms say they want to screen you only once - either at PLIP or OCI. I'm sure this varies firm-to-firm tho.

I can confirm this. Firms I had a screener with at PLIP last year who didn't offer me a CB took me off their OCI interview lists.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:37 pm

skri65 wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:

I can confirm this. Firms I had a screener with at PLIP last year who didn't offer me a CB took me off their OCI interview lists.

(same anon who posed the question) Thanks for the advice, all. I was also wondering if you think this is true even if you are not only looking to land a patent/IP position. Meaning if you don't land one though PLIP, I would be applying elsewhere for corporate, transactional, BK.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
skri65 wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:

(same anon who posed the question) Thanks for the advice, all. I was also wondering if you think this is true even if you are not only looking to land a patent/IP position. Meaning if you don't land one though PLIP, I would be applying elsewhere for corporate, transactional, BK.

They didn't give me the opportunity to try and apply to other departments. I think if they reject at the screen ever level, it may be because you aren't a fit with the firm (as BS as this sounds), and that a rejection from one department is a rejection from all departments.

Just my experience..

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Anyone have or know where to access the "hand out" that last years audio seminar references, regarding resume tips etc?

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:54 pm

EEguy5 wrote:Anyone have or know where to access the "hand out" that last years audio seminar references, regarding resume tips etc?

Nevermind found it, you can download it within PLI's system under the "Course Materials" tab.

SwiftHippo

Postby SwiftHippo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Is there anyway to get data on a firm's GPA cutoffs for PLIP? My school has some data related to conversion rates from screeners > callbacks > offers for specific GPA ranges, but nothing on what kind of GPA cutoffs exist. Is the hivemind to just use my school's OCI cutoffs as a guideline?

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:48 am

SwiftHippo wrote:Is there anyway to get data on a firm's GPA cutoffs for PLIP? My school has some data related to conversion rates from screeners > callbacks > offers for specific GPA ranges, but nothing on what kind of GPA cutoffs exist. Is the hivemind to just use my school's OCI cutoffs as a guideline?

It doesn't seem like anything else would be very useful.

Tiberius42

Postby Tiberius42 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:41 pm

So when are the jobs we are interviewing for at this thing? I wasn't really sure. Am I interviewing for an SA for next year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Tiberius42 wrote:So when are the jobs we are interviewing for at this thing? I wasn't really sure. Am I interviewing for an SA for next year?

Yep, these interviews are for summer 2016 SAs (for 2Ls) or fall 2016 full time associate positions (for 3Ls).

As a 3L, should I bid at some firms that I failed to get a CB or offer from last year? Or try and bid exclusively to firms I haven't interviewed with?

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiberius42 wrote:So when are the jobs we are interviewing for at this thing? I wasn't really sure. Am I interviewing for an SA for next year?

Yep, these interviews are for summer 2016 SAs (for 2Ls) or fall 2016 full time associate positions (for 3Ls).

As a 3L, should I bid at some firms that I failed to get a CB or offer from last year? Or try and bid exclusively to firms I haven't interviewed with?

Are there 32 firms you'd like to work for that you haven't previously interviewed with? The 3L list isn't all that long at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:12 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are there 32 firms you'd like to work for that you haven't previously interviewed with? The 3L list isn't all that long at this point.

I counted about 40 firms for 3Ls. Probably 25 or so (rough estimate, haven't done an actual count) I haven't interviewed with (I'll work anywhere I get an offer). Probably best to bid those 25 and then a few I screened with last year. Have a 2L SA so hopefully that turns into an offer (not a guarantee, midsize boutique), but want to take any interviews I can get.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am

How bad is it to bid and then later cancel?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:34 pm

From personal experience, I am compelled to advise people ITT: if you don't have a technical degree, don't bother going. It'll be a waste of your time/money. Virtually nobody gets a job at PLIP unless they have a CS/EE/ME/Physics BS or a PhD in chemistry.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:47 pm

What's the typical timeline for this? If you interview at PLIP when can you expect to hear back about callbacks or dings?

JAYINSD

Postby JAYINSD » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:What's the typical timeline for this? If you interview at PLIP when can you expect to hear back about callbacks or dings?

call back is very quick usually within days. If a week has passed and you heard nothing, you can assume it is a ding. Of course there are always a few exceptions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:17 pm

JAYINSD wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:What's the typical timeline for this? If you interview at PLIP when can you expect to hear back about callbacks or dings?

call back is very quick usually within days. If a week has passed and you heard nothing, you can assume it is a ding. Of course there are always a few exceptions.

My CB notification calls ranged from next day to 6 weeks after.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From personal experience, I am compelled to advise people ITT: if you don't have a technical degree, don't bother going. It'll be a waste of your time/money. Virtually nobody gets a job at PLIP unless they have a CS/EE/ME/Physics BS or a PhD in chemistry.

Please support this broad sweeping generalization with some sort of proof.

Edit: anon cuz i fall into the above category.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From personal experience, I am compelled to advise people ITT: if you don't have a technical degree, don't bother going. It'll be a waste of your time/money. Virtually nobody gets a job at PLIP unless they have a CS/EE/ME/Physics BS or a PhD in chemistry.

Please support this broad sweeping generalization with some sort of proof.

Edit: anon cuz i fall into the above category.

There was a time when patent lit was so hot that a high ranked T14er could get a job at PLIP. But patent lit is quickly dying and firms are barely hiring in that area even for people with STEM degrees. And if you are a high ranked T14er, you'll get a job at OCI anyway.

If you want proof just google: patent litigation slowdown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JAYINSD wrote:

My CB notification calls ranged from next day to 6 weeks after.

Yeah some firms keep a "maybe" pile going for 4-6 weeks. Almost all of mine were within a week but one or two were much slower.

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:30 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:How bad is it to bid and then later cancel?

Bad in what sense? It's a minor inconvenience to your fellow students I guess, but someone will get that spot at the alternate roll-call the morning of, and firms don't care either way, if they even notice.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:44 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:How bad is it to bid and then later cancel?

Bad in what sense? It's a minor inconvenience to your fellow students I guess, but someone will get that spot at the alternate roll-call the morning of, and firms don't care either way, if they even notice.

Ok cool. I was mostly wondering about the latter part since, if I were to cancel, it would be during the cancellation period.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:36 am

About me: CCN medianish (3.2). MechE UG, significant WE, reg. patent agent
Bidding strategy question: Is it a waste to bid Paul Weiss or Skadden at PLIP? Will they reach down to a 3.2 for IP hiring?

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:About me: CCN medianish (3.2). MechE UG, significant WE, reg. patent agent
Bidding strategy question: Is it a waste to bid Paul Weiss or Skadden at PLIP? Will they reach down to a 3.2 for IP hiring?

I have no idea how competitive you'd be at those two firms, but as a general rule, I would say that firms emphasize different qualifications for lit than they do pros.

At firms that do pros (pretty much all of the boutiques plus a few GP), you'll be very competitive. These firms will care a lot about your undergrad major, uGPA, and your having passed the patent bar.

Firms that are only looking to hire for lit will care more about your law school GPA. Your school rank is strong, and your other IP credentials are good, so I'd guess you'd have a shot of pulling a screener/CB from top firms, but it depends how deep firms are digging for patent lit associates this year.

Some firms are hiring for specialized tech transactions practice groups. I don't know what they'll be looking for, but I'd guess it would be closer to the patent lit qualifications - T14 students with high law school GPA.

MBR859

Postby MBR859 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:30 pm

I keep going back and forth about bidding at Loyola. I'm at a T30 school with ~3.7 GPA (likely around top 15%). I have a B.S. in Neuroscience (patent bar eligible) and worked in a few different labs during undergrad, but that's as far as my science background goes. With that, I know I would only really be qualified (and only actually want to do) patent litigation. I'm not 100% sold on doing patent work at all though, although I do find it interesting, and I definitely want to make the most out of OCI on my campus. I mostly want to increase my chances of getting a job in general...

I'm wondering if bidding at Loyola has any effect on interviews at regular OCI? Could I hurt my chances on campus OCI by doing Loyola? Especially since I don't have a very hard science background?

Return to “Legal Employment”