2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kcdc1

Re: 2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread

Postby kcdc1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 30 law school in midwest
GPA: 3.79 (Top 10%)
UG biochem from Umich with publications and significant research experience
UG GPA: 3.65

16 pre-selects
3 alternates

How should I approach PLIP if when I applied my GPA was a 3.5? Should I go to the hospitality suites and try to get more interviews or drop off my updated resume?

You do not want more than 16 interviews. When you have back-to-back blocks of 6 screeners in a row, it is surprisingly difficult to keep names/locations straight. Just focus on nailing the screeners you already have.

Aureusmons

Postby Aureusmons » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:33 am

kcdc1 wrote:

16 pre-selects
3 alternates

How should I approach PLIP if when I applied my GPA was a 3.5? Should I go to the hospitality suites and try to get more interviews or drop off my updated resume?

You do not want more than 16 interviews. When you have back-to-back blocks of 6 screeners in a row, it is surprisingly difficult to keep names/locations straight. Just focus on nailing the screeners you already have.

I had 26 interviews and I wouldnt say that was too much. Just make sure you prepare a one page cheat sheet for every firm you interview with, including a quick one line answer to "why our firm?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:22 pm

I select and 2 alts. Patent bar passed in LS, life sciences, t1/3 at a t30 school. Looking at everyone else's posts here on interview preselects makes me feel so utterly inadequate and like I should get out of the field, even though its been everything I have been working towards in LS.

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I select and 2 alts. Patent bar passed in LS, life sciences, t1/3 at a t30 school. Looking at everyone else's posts here on interview preselects makes me feel so utterly inadequate and like I should get out of the field, even though its been everything I have been working towards in LS.

No point getting down about it. Just change your PLIP focus. Instead of going for 30 interviews or whatever, your plan should be to hit every hospitality suite.

Last year I think I had 5 preselects and 2 alts. I got no callbacks from the PS's, but 2 cb's from the alts. Anecdotal, but you're still in the game. All it takes is one.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Tiberius42 wrote:I debated for 8 years in high school and college and then coached a team before law school. Should I harp on this on why I want to do lit? I have to imagine a hardcore debate background is rarer in IP than other types of law.

Don't think ip lit firms are tripping over themselves for debaters. I think your success is nice to highlight, but I would not overplay it (mention it once and move on). You don't want to be suspected as being a person that debates every new point that comes up. There is a type that fits this description in law firms. You don't want to be known as this type of person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Top 1/3 at T1 school in the Midwest. Advanced degree in life sciences, 10 preselects. Grades dropped a bit second semester. Any tips for how to talk about that?

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:45 pm

If they dropped just a bit, firms aren't going to want to talk about it. If you have a phd, you will have even more leeway.

If it's a bigger drop, say you went down one Latin honor, you probably need to just acknowledge the drop and say you are taking steps to go back to what you were doing first semester. Don't try to shift the blame from yourself, e.g., by saying you had a bad prof. The exception would be for a situation that is universally recognized as disruptive, such as the death in the family or the like.

But I doubt grades will come up if the drop was small.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Life Sciences, T14 8 preselects 1 Alt. Was very surprised with my list, multiple V10s and V20s on preselect. Have a current 1LSA in IP practice group in a V100 so I'm guessing that helped?

Spartan_Alum_12

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I select and 2 alts. Patent bar passed in LS, life sciences, t1/3 at a t30 school. Looking at everyone else's posts here on interview preselects makes me feel so utterly inadequate and like I should get out of the field, even though its been everything I have been working towards in LS.

Do you have an MS or PhD? Life sciences tend to want advanced degrees unfortunately. However, I still think you can find a job in patent law. Just keep hustling, don't get discouraged, and mass mail. If it makes you feel better, I got 15 pre-selects at PLIP last year and didn't get a single call back from PLIP (I got a job from mass mailing and was very fortunate). So the fair actually only helped my interview skills (hopefully) despite the high number of pre-selects.

Noap

Postby Noap » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:46 pm

14 preselects; 6 alternates.

hoping that single-digit # in alternate slots means good shot at an interview.

registering

Postby registering » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Is it worth doing if you're only eligible for Lit? 7 preselect/6 screeners with an undesirable engineering background, but this talk about "shitigation" is kind of turning me off.

Aureusmons

Postby Aureusmons » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:35 am

Noap wrote:14 preselects; 6 alternates.

registering wrote:Is it worth doing if you're only eligible for Lit? 7 preselect/6 screeners with an undesirable engineering background, but this talk about "shitigation" is kind of turning me off.

Shitigation or not, It's worth doing if it means getting a job versus not getting one at OCI. I got zero cbs from OCI versus 10+ from Plip. If you can afford to go to Chicago, 7 preselects is probably worth going for.

registering

Postby registering » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:41 am

Aureusmons wrote:
Noap wrote:14 preselects; 6 alternates.

registering wrote:Is it worth doing if you're only eligible for Lit? 7 preselect/6 screeners with an undesirable engineering background, but this talk about "shitigation" is kind of turning me off.

Shitigation or not, It's worth doing if it means getting a job versus not getting one at OCI. I got zero cbs from OCI versus 10+ from Plip. If you can afford to go to Chicago, 7 preselects is probably worth going for.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking too. I'd hate to be kicking myself in a few months if I struck out at OCI for being picky, and obviously no one can really "afford" to be picky, but the thread about IP Lit was seriously an eye opener about long term prospects.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:47 pm

16 pre-selects
3 alternates

I think its a good idea to try to network into more interviews. Use the posting as a guide for who you should target. The handful of top firms are probably still a reach, but the ones below those should be in play. Start with the few you like most, gain a working knowledge of their practice, and go have a normal conversation, working in your updated grades.

yosup

Postby yosup » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:44 pm

I've received 14 pre-selects from PLIP, all of which are the ones that I'm highly interested. Problem is: PLIP only used the first semester (I'm a rising 2L) grades for deciding on pre-selects, and my grades plummet during the 2nd semester (now top 25% rank at a top 10 school) so I don't know if those awesome firms after seeing my 2nd semester grades at the screener interview would still be interested in giving me any callbacks. So I'm thinking whether I should include those 14 firms on my OCI bidding list? Would that give me a second chance to be considered for any interviews? Yes, I have a strong technical background.

Thanks!

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:09 am

yosup wrote:I've received 14 pre-selects from PLIP, all of which are the ones that I'm highly interested. Problem is: PLIP only used the first semester (I'm a rising 2L) grades for deciding on pre-selects, and my grades plummet during the 2nd semester (now top 25% rank at a top 10 school) so I don't know if those awesome firms after seeing my 2nd semester grades at the screener interview would still be interested in giving me any callbacks. So I'm thinking whether I should include those 14 firms on my OCI bidding list? Would that give me a second chance to be considered for any interviews? Yes, I have a strong technical background.

Thanks!

Are you saying your grades "plummeted" such that you are now top quarter at a T14?...

Regardless, if you don't get the CB from Chicago after your "plummeted" grades, take the hint and let a classmate use the OCI slot, bc it won't do you any good. If a firm didn't extend a CB after a tech-oriented fair, why would the same firm extend a CB later from OCI?

Aureusmons

Postby Aureusmons » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:32 am

SplitMyPants wrote:
yosup wrote:I've received 14 pre-selects from PLIP, all of which are the ones that I'm highly interested. Problem is: PLIP only used the first semester (I'm a rising 2L) grades for deciding on pre-selects, and my grades plummet during the 2nd semester (now top 25% rank at a top 10 school) so I don't know if those awesome firms after seeing my 2nd semester grades at the screener interview would still be interested in giving me any callbacks. So I'm thinking whether I should include those 14 firms on my OCI bidding list? Would that give me a second chance to be considered for any interviews? Yes, I have a strong technical background.

Thanks!

Are you saying your grades "plummeted" such that you are now top quarter at a T14?...

Regardless, if you don't get the CB from Chicago after your "plummeted" grades, take the hint and let a classmate use the OCI slot, bc it won't do you any good. If a firm didn't extend a CB after a tech-oriented fair, why would the same firm extend a CB later from OCI?

yeah, and if your tech background is strong, that drop in grades will be irrelevant.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:29 am

People have said ITT that the law school resume we need is just unofficial. Does the same go for UG/grad school transcripts? Can I just bring a photo copy of my official ones?

faintbeam

Postby faintbeam » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks!

I was told that firms do not want you to interview at PLIP and also apply for OCI. It might depend on the firm, but this is what I was told by a few firms that I had screeners with at PLIP.

Spartan_Alum_12

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:07 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:People have said ITT that the law school resume we need is just unofficial. Does the same go for UG/grad school transcripts? Can I just bring a photo copy of my official ones?

Yeah, unofficial is fine for all transcripts.

Tiberius42

Postby Tiberius42 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:40 pm

About when do these firms start doing call backs? I've heard that some people get offers at Loyola, is that really a thing?

faintbeam

Postby faintbeam » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Tiberius42 wrote:About when do these firms start doing call backs? I've heard that some people get offers at Loyola, is that really a thing?

Depends on the firm. Most of my firms called back within a few days to a week at most. But yes, it's a thing - I got an offer for a call back during my interview at PLIP.

Note - if you meant firms handing out offers for a SA at PLIP, I have no idea if that's a thing. I hadn't heard of that.

zosluu

Postby zosluu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Do I need to explain a drop from Top 9% to Top 15% in my interviews or is that not bad enough of a drop to discuss?

yosup

Postby yosup » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:06 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you very much! Our school does not really give out ranks so I don't know exactly what rank I'm holding. I only have a vague sense of it based on the four categories of GPA ranges that our CSO put us into for bidding strategy purposes (and I assume each category roughly correlates to a quarter of the rankings...?)

I think I'm not quite confident bc I just don't have any idea what's the pool of candidates with similar backgrounds attending PLIP this year. I have a master's degree in Biomedical Sciences and three years of working experience in a biotech company (midsize one, not any of those big names such as Merck or Eli Lily). I've heard that quite some ppl having PHDs in Biology are looking for IP positions as well...

yosup

Postby yosup » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:08 pm

faintbeam wrote:

Thanks!

I was told that firms do not want you to interview at PLIP and also apply for OCI. It might depend on the firm, but this is what I was told by a few firms that I had screeners with at PLIP.

Thanks a lot! I was a bit confused bc from PLIP Symplicity, only Jones Day made a clear note that they don't want to interview twice on different fairs. So I was wondering what's the policy of other firms at PLIP.

Return to “Legal Employment”