Chicago Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
los blancos

Re: Chicago Firms

Postby los blancos » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I definitely don't have any problem with working 8-6 then going home, having dinner with the wife and kids and putting the kids to sleep, then working for 3-4 more hours.

outed as k-jd

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:41 pm

Honestly . . . I get the impression that your practice group will determine your overall workload way more than arbitrary distinctions between firms. Within a single firm I'm pretty certain that your Restructuring/PE bros are going to be working much harder than your Real Estate dudes (as is the case with KE). And do we really actually think MWE's private clients group is working their associates to death?

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:27 am

los blancos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I definitely don't have any problem with working 8-6 then going home, having dinner with the wife and kids and putting the kids to sleep, then working for 3-4 more hours.

outed as k-jd

lol work eat work some more sleep.

DELG

Postby DELG » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:45 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Honestly . . . I get the impression that your practice group will determine your overall workload way more than arbitrary distinctions between firms. Within a single firm I'm pretty certain that your Restructuring/PE bros are going to be working much harder than your Real Estate dudes (as is the case with KE). And do we really actually think MWE's private clients group is working their associates to death?

Wasn't KE RE killing people like 8 months ago? Things change and are dependent on so many uncontrollable factors, it's so hard to predict.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:05 am

And do we really actually think MWE's private clients group is working their associates to death?

I actually knew a dude in this group. He worked 9:00-6:45 religiously. Almost no weekends. He hated the work, though. I tried to convince him to look into academia. Law schools have a really tough time finding WT&E profs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:09 pm

Any opinions on some of the other national firms with offices in Chicago that aren't up there w/ KE, Skadden, etc.? E.g. DLA Piper, Jones Day, K&L Gates, Greenberg Traurig

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any opinions on some of the other national firms with offices in Chicago that aren't up there w/ KE, Skadden, etc.? E.g. DLA Piper, Jones Day, K&L Gates, Greenberg Traurig

Jones Day seems to be pretty popular for some reason. It depends on what you want to do really so it's hard to give you a general answer.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:54 am

Bump. If my career goals are currently no more defined than "litigation (?)" what should I be considering when choosing among the big player firms?

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:48 am

malleus discentium wrote:Bump. If my career goals are currently no more defined than "litigation (?)" what should I be considering when choosing among the big player firms?

Litigation in Chicago isn't that great. Basically it seems to be Jenner, Sidley, Kirkland, and Winston.

lawsohard3

Postby lawsohard3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:12 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:Bump. If my career goals are currently no more defined than "litigation (?)" what should I be considering when choosing among the big player firms?

Litigation in Chicago isn't that great. Basically it seems to be Jenner, Sidley, Kirkland, and Winston.

Anyone know more about this? I know I want to litigate in Chicago, and I have heard some of the big firms here only summer students that are interested in transactional work... I've also heard that Jenner, Sidley, Kirkland, Winston, Katten, and Jones Day summer students for litigation, but any other firms I should keep on or off my raider?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:24 pm

Latham and Skadden still do a lot too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:36 pm

anybody have experience with Barack Ferrazzano?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:09 pm

What is the general opinion of katten? Thy r ranked highly but kind of new?

Also what about chapman cutler

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the general opinion of katten? Thy r ranked highly but kind of new?

Also what about chapman cutler

Chapman was discussed a lot last year. They do mostly bond work other big firms don't do.

They also aren't 100% offer so just know that. But the ppl are really friendly
Last edited by trebekismyhero on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:13 pm

lawsohard3 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Anyone know more about this? I know I want to litigate in Chicago, and I have heard some of the big firms here only summer students that are interested in transactional work... I've also heard that Jenner, Sidley, Kirkland, Winston, Katten, and Jones Day summer students for litigation, but any other firms I should keep on or off my raider?

I didn't mean that only those 4 I mentioned do it, but just that those 4 tend to have the biggest amount of litigation and the bigger cases.

Most of the major firms have litigation, it is just the level of work is different. You mentioned Katten and Jones Day, there's also Mayer Brown and McDermott that have large lit departments.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: naming lifestyle firms in chi

Perkins coie

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:52 am

What kind of grades do you need from T6 not-Chicago to get Jenner (3L/post-clerkship, not at OCI)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Anyone have any opinions about differences between Skadden and Sidley for corporate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Sidley is probably better than Skadden but if you liked Skadden Chi I don't think it would be a terrible idea to pick them over Sidley. They both do pretty solid public M&A work - obviously Skadden NYC is the best at that but either one of these offices will probably do you well. If you have any interest in corporate work for insurance, then maybe I'd take Sidley. I think this is a close enough choice to where you can pick your preference. If you really can't decide then probably just go with Sidley.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:30 pm

Agree with the above anon broadly (I think they are similar enough that you can't say anything other than they are peers), and given the significant differences in office size and culture I think fit should probably be given more weight than normal when deciding between 2 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:55 pm

Katten or K&L Gates for Chicago litigation? I heard they both gave 100% offers this past summer for their Chicago offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Katten or K&L Gates for Chicago litigation? I heard they both gave 100% offers this past summer for their Chicago offices.

I've heard of one Katten no-offer.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Katten or K&L Gates for Chicago litigation? I heard they both gave 100% offers this past summer for their Chicago offices.

I've heard of one Katten no-offer.

K&L Gates is a shithole everywhere. Take Katten.

How many more times do people on this baord have to hear K&L and Jones Day are shitholes. Out of like the 100 largest biglaw firms there is a pretty solid rate of attorney turnover around 2x. Some great firms only have 1x. K&L and Jones Day are outliers at like 10x right now with no other firm apporaching 7/8x.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:49 pm

Katten is absolutely also a shithole TBF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Ugh, is there any firm that someone on TLS doesn't think is a complete shithole! Jeeze, we have some tough critics! If you are going to give "advise" at least write why you think a firm is a shithole.

I would tell you to pick Katten over K&L b/c of all the drama with K&L's no-offering summers and having a lot of partners recently leave.

Return to “Legal Employment”