Chicago Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Chicago Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:54 pm

And FWIW, I saw some Sidley shade on here earlier. I'm a second year and love it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:02 pm

HELP: I've narrowed it down to 2 firms, so now: Katten or Greenberg?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Ugh, is there any firm that someone on TLS doesn't think is a complete shithole! Jeeze, we have some tough critics! If you are going to give "advise" at least write why you think a firm is a shithole.

I would tell you to pick Katten over K&L b/c of all the drama with K&L's no-offering summers and having a lot of partners recently leave.
I say it's a shithole because as a lateral considering applying everyone I spoke to advised me to stay away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Anyone know anything about Swanson Martin & Bell?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Did these just come out? Vault 2016 Chicago:

http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/l ... ?sRankID=6

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Does anyone know anything about Vedder Price?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about Vedder Price?
lots of airplane finance work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about Vedder Price?
lots of airplane finance work.
Sorry, meant to ask about lit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Anyone have any thoughts they'd be willing to share about McDermott's lit/White-collar department in Chicago?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 11:46 am

Does the "fuck Winston" refrain still apply 2 years later? Specifically considering litigation

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does the "fuck Winston" refrain still apply 2 years later? Specifically considering litigation
If you have other options, I would go elsewhere. Just one man's opinion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does the "fuck Winston" refrain still apply 2 years later? Specifically considering litigation
No I do not think so. They no offered about 1/3 of their class in 2012 but from my understanding have been a 100 % offer firm every year since, with probably no more than the usual cold offer allowance you might see from every firm. Winston is a litigation powerhouse within the city. People are always desperate to find the perfect firm, as though anything you hear about just relates to one bad firm with a bunch of mean people whisked away in a sea of great ones. You have to be able to accept that bad things can happen anywhere. If you want to be as "safe" as possible just go to the firm with the best AmLaw financial Data in the most recent year, but there is no such thing as a safe firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No I do not think so. They no offered about 1/3 of their class in 2012 but from my understanding have been a 100 % offer firm every year since, with probably no more than the usual cold offer allowance you might see from every firm. Winston is a litigation powerhouse within the city. People are always desperate to find the perfect firm, as though anything you hear about just relates to one bad firm with a bunch of mean people whisked away in a sea of great ones. You have to be able to accept that bad things can happen anywhere. If you want to be as "safe" as possible just go to the firm with the best AmLaw financial Data in the most recent year, but there is no such thing as a safe firm.
Yeah, I'd say Winston is now one of the safer places because they know they fucked up 5 years ago and their reputation can't take another hit. They were also the first firm outside of NYC to match Cravath. it happens everywhere, even sidley stealthily no-offered a few ppl last summer and cold offered a few more because their class was bigger than they planned.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, I'd say Winston is now one of the safer places because they know they fucked up 5 years ago and their reputation can't take another hit. They were also the first firm outside of NYC to match Cravath. it happens everywhere, even sidley stealthily no-offered a few ppl last summer and cold offered a few more because their class was bigger than they planned.
That being said, it's one of the tougher places to work litigation-wise in the city. Yes, biglaw is full of them. I just think in this city, Winston/Kirkland are sort of at the top (or bottom) of that list. There's actually a vast difference between, say, McDermott and Winston in terms of your daily life (even if small differences = vast life difference) and not THAT much pay difference. (Somewhat aside but I remember my callback at Winston (2012) and my first interviewer saying, verbatim, "look, man, I'm leaving in 3 weeks, I have hated most days of the last seven years here...do with that what you will.." and then bullshitting for the next 20 minutes)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”