Which NY firms have the most "pull" in Cali? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which NY firms have the most "pull" in Cali?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:00 am

Assuming you can't break into the CA market right after graduation, which NY BigLaw firms have the most pull to get you into CA a few years down the road? Are there certain firms/tiers of firms in NY that just have more "national prestige" than others in a way that'll get you interviews in CA?

My main concern is that the type of work done in NY is going to be so different than the work done in CA that it'll be next to impossible to make the transition.

Although lateraling across offices is one option, I'm really interested in in-house options.

LLS2L

New

Re: Which NY firms have the most "pull" in Cali?

Post by LLS2L » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming you can't break into the CA market right after graduation, which NY BigLaw firms have the most pull to get you into CA a few years down the road? Are there certain firms/tiers of firms in NY that just have more "national prestige" than others in a way that'll get you interviews in CA?
Tag. Also interested.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:25 am

Firms with large offices on the West Coast. Even if you've never worked with these companies directly, they may have worked with your firm's Cali office(s).

TheOnePercent

New

Post by TheOnePercent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm really interested in in-house options.
Will be firm and practice group specific, no? Need more info re: your target practice area and how compelling of a candidate you are (approximate grades/school/WE).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:34 am

Huge firms in CA like Gibson Dunn, Quinn Emmanuel, Latham Watkins, Skadden. Then New York elite, S&C/Davis/Cravath/Paul Weiss.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:40 am

TheOnePercent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm really interested in in-house options.
Will be firm and practice group specific, no? Need more info re: your target practice area and how compelling of a candidate you are (approximate grades/school/WE).
OP Here -

I'm at at a lower T-14, and currently I'm at around 10-20% mark. WE is strong but not extraordinary (worked in non-legal corporate environment for a couple of years). Technically, I'm a good candidate for CA, but since there are few CA firms that actually do OCI here, it can be a little risky to bet on it.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the practice areas that NY are so popular (e.g. financial services) can be leveraged when you're trying to get, say, into an in-house position at a NorCal Tech firm. My sense is that its an uphill battle since you're not in direct contact with these types of clients, so you'll really have to 1) leverage the reputation of your firm and 2) sell your "transferable skillset."

Which firms really have the "name-brand" to convince an in-house recruiter at a CA Tech firm to look at the guy working on Tax or M&A in NY?

TheOnePercent

New

Post by TheOnePercent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Huge firms in CA like...Skadden. Then New York elite, S&C/Davis/Cravath/Paul Weiss.
Egregious Skadden trolling.

But seriously, think the above is the quick/dirty answer. Could presumably transfer w/in firm and/or name has sufficient cachet to pivot externally.

But the low-hanging in-house fruit will be client related - so I'd do due diligence if I were you on the client base of the practice group at the NY firms you're targeting (as added insurance).

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Huge firms in CA like Gibson Dunn, Quinn Emmanuel, Latham Watkins, Skadden. Then New York elite, S&C/Davis/Cravath/Paul Weiss.
Yeah, I don't get including Skadden in this list. Would add MoFo.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Paul Hastings and O'Melveny & Myers are big in California, though I don't know about OMM in NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:48 pm

abandon hope

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Skadden is bigger in LA than in SF.

At least here in LA, Gibson is considered the best of the big national firms with offices out here, followed by Latham/Quinn/O'Melveny, and then followed by everyone else (with Paul Hastings maybe being a notch above because it's a big native LA firm). Munger, Irell, and all of the LA boutiques also get a lot of respect, but they aren't national firms so I didn't include them in this list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Gibson is considered the best of the big national firms with offices out here
Probably unintentional, but this makes it sound like Gibson isn't an LA based firm.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:14 pm

well let's see...maybe try vault or google for firms with large offices in NY and California. (Hint: Latham, Gibson Dunn, OMM, Quinn are four that quickly come to mind.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Technically, I'm a good candidate for CA, but since there are few CA firms that actually do OCI here, it can be a little risky to bet on it.
Do you have any ties to California? If not, LA is your best bet and even that is not a sure thing during OCI. SF/SV is even more difficult without ties or a tech/STEM background.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:41 am

any firm with a big national name that's decent and that makes you a known quantity. if you're applying from V&E NYC, tough luck. if you're applying from weil gotshal, you have a much better chance.

it's not hard to figure these firms out. they're not necessarily hugely selective (i.e., i'd think wilmerhale NYC would suffice, for instance), but the more national and the more elite, the better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”