Do Firms Look at Bar Application?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do Firms Look at Bar Application?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Wondering if (biglaw) firms look at your bar application? I have a juvenile C&F issue that I'm going to have to disclose on my bar application but that won't show up on an employment background check.

Anonymous User

Re: Do Firms Look at Bar Application?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:58 pm

How would they have access to it? I can't imagine they'd care unless you got held up at c&f. Even then they're probably only trying to help. By that point enough people probably like you and enough money has been invested that they care about your professional development. Anything that'd make them rethink their decision at that point would have been something you'd be tried as an adult for anyway.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering if (biglaw) firms look at your bar application?

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 am

OP here. Thanks for your input. In response to the first poster to respond it was my understanding that your bar application becomes a public record (the example given was that if, e.g., you're a politician and a lawyer all your opponents will rush to look through it for inconsistencies / ways to discredit you).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:13 pm

I've never heard of anyone looking at a politician's bar application. Do you have examples? I'm pretty sure it contains enough confidential information that it wouldn't be public.

Judicial application, sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:28 pm

It's true that in at least one state (ma) your bar application becomes a public record available at the supreme judicial court. I have no idea if employers bother to look at them, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:42 pm

To clarify: I'm in a state where your bar application becomes a public record. My Professional Responsibility prof implied this was the case in every state, but it seems like it isn't. Here's an example of this type of thing, I guess:

http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/20101007/News/10070314

If anyone has any clue whether employers in states where your bar application is public look at this, feel free to chime in. As a side note, it looks like that it's impermissible for employers in my state to discriminate on the basis of a juvenile issue, with certain exceptions. Thanks for all the thoughts so far.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Interesting. I didn't know states did that.

But I'd be shocked if even MA firms looked at the application.

Return to “Legal Employment”