Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 pm

1L here, I'm working at a decently well known startup this Summer in a mix of a biz dev/corp dev/corp strat role. I understand the whole why'd you go to law school if you had no intention to practice law schtick, but I was a K-JD with a poor gpa at a regional state school and law school was real cheap. I also understand b-school would have been a better choice for these careers but that wasn't an option now, and most likely wouldn't be an option in four-six years.

Since I have a pretty open- ended internship with a decent amount of responsibility, I'm exploring other fields with challenging work. I'm considering skipping OCI this Fall, and I'm wondering where established routes exist to attempt to network into opportunities. (I understand my school is not a target, and I will have to network).

I go to a school thats a bank semi-target for undergrad with a t25 law school(ND/Emory/Wustl/USC/GW/BU/BC/Vandy) and I got a 3.7 my first semester.

For Ibanks, I know CS actively recruits JD's and I was wondering if any of the other Bulge Bracket banks, or MM banks recruit at say schools for example Harvard, Columbia, Penn, or Chicago. I'd also be interested which banks have more formal processes for JD candidates even if they don't actively recruit.

I also understand McKinsey actively recruits JDs while Bain/BCG takes a less active approach to recruitment of JDs. Any other strategy consulting firms have an active process similar to Mckinsey? For example in the Deloitte/ATK/Strategy&/Parthenon/LEK/Mars/OW/BAH group?

I'm also interested in f500 corp strat/corp dev but I understand those processes will be more formal and HR controlled in addition to there being a lack of established paths.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby juzam_djinn » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:44 pm

for banking, many BB's recruit at H during finance interview week (and I believe YS and some of the T14). This means CS, GS, Barclay's, UBS etc.

MBB also formally recruit at HYS and many of the T14, but I have heard that w/ Bain law students are less likely to get a foot in the door through any OCI-type process, whereas w/ McKinsey and BCG law students who put in the time and seriously prep for the case interviews have a good shot just by going through on-campus recruiting. Heck, w/ McKinsey, if you have great test scores (GMAT/GRE preferred, but LSAT should work too) and a solid UG gpa you could very well get an invite to the first round aptitude test by going through the online app process alone

I think w/ non-MBB consulting, it will req. a resume drop or just going through their website application

but i think for a T25, you're going to have to do a LOT of networking and resume dropping, b/c I don't think there are any fixed channels for banking/consulting recruiting at those law schools

KM2016
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby KM2016 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering skipping OCI this Fall


DO NOT SKIP OCI. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Credit Suisse formally recruits from a number of schools.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:49 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:for banking, many BB's recruit at H during finance interview week (and I believe YS and some of the T14). This means CS, GS, Barclay's, UBS etc.

MBB also formally recruit at HYS and many of the T14, but I have heard that w/ Bain law students are less likely to get a foot in the door through any OCI-type process, whereas w/ McKinsey and BCG law students who put in the time and seriously prep for the case interviews have a good shot just by going through on-campus recruiting. Heck, w/ McKinsey, if you have great test scores (GMAT/GRE preferred, but LSAT should work too) and a solid UG gpa you could very well get an invite to the first round aptitude test by going through the online app process alone

I think w/ non-MBB consulting, it will req. a resume drop or just going through their website application

but i think for a T25, you're going to have to do a LOT of networking and resume dropping, b/c I don't think there are any fixed channels for banking/consulting recruiting at those law schools


Thanks yeah I realize there is alot of networking involved. I figure its similar to undergrad, trying to break into BBs from a non-target. Thats helpful information. Didn't know that a decent amount of BB's recruited at Harvard Law.

KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering skipping OCI this Fall


DO NOT SKIP OCI. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.



Whats the "everything to gain" from law school OCI for someone who decides they want to do non-legal things? Practice interviewing skills?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
juzam_djinn wrote:for banking, many BB's recruit at H during finance interview week (and I believe YS and some of the T14). This means CS, GS, Barclay's, UBS etc.

MBB also formally recruit at HYS and many of the T14, but I have heard that w/ Bain law students are less likely to get a foot in the door through any OCI-type process, whereas w/ McKinsey and BCG law students who put in the time and seriously prep for the case interviews have a good shot just by going through on-campus recruiting. Heck, w/ McKinsey, if you have great test scores (GMAT/GRE preferred, but LSAT should work too) and a solid UG gpa you could very well get an invite to the first round aptitude test by going through the online app process alone

I think w/ non-MBB consulting, it will req. a resume drop or just going through their website application

but i think for a T25, you're going to have to do a LOT of networking and resume dropping, b/c I don't think there are any fixed channels for banking/consulting recruiting at those law schools


Thanks yeah I realize there is alot of networking involved. I figure its similar to undergrad, trying to break into BBs from a non-target. Thats helpful information. Didn't know that a decent amount of BB's recruited at Harvard Law.

KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering skipping OCI this Fall


DO NOT SKIP OCI. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.



Whats the "everything to gain" from law school OCI for someone who decides they want to do non-legal things? Practice interviewing skills?


A back up plan, when reality hits you hard. Of course you could be independently rich already, then pass OCI by all means.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A back up plan, when reality hits you hard. Of course you could be independently rich already, then pass OCI by all means.


1. Great use of anon.

2. You mean the hard hard reality of, not making six figures out of law school? Or just missing the biglaw train? I mean I understand theres a low chance I get the above summer employment, but getting quality non-legal internships beyond white shoe finance/consulting isn't exactly difficult coming from law school. I mean with one semester of law school grades, a sub 2.7 in undergrad, and just talking to people, I received a few decent non-legal offers. As long as you get by Taleo(by applying through referrals/direct emailing recruiters), interviews run fine. I don't understand the obsession with biglaw or #lifeisover at my school or on this board.

3. Wouldn't potential BL offers expire anyways if I went through with interviewing for non-legal opps(beyond the ones that directly focus on law school)?

iliketurtles123
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby iliketurtles123 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A back up plan, when reality hits you hard. Of course you could be independently rich already, then pass OCI by all means.


1. Great use of anon.

2. You mean the hard hard reality of, not making six figures out of law school? Or just missing the biglaw train? I mean I understand theres a low chance I get the above summer employment, but getting quality non-legal internships beyond white shoe finance/consulting isn't exactly difficult coming from law school. I mean with one semester of law school grades, a sub 2.7 in undergrad, and just talking to people, I received a few decent non-legal offers. As long as you get by Taleo(by applying through referrals/direct emailing recruiters), interviews run fine. I don't understand the obsession with biglaw or #lifeisover at my school or on this board.

3. Wouldn't potential BL offers expire anyways if I went through with interviewing for non-legal opps(beyond the ones that directly focus on law school)?


Most banks and consulting shops are on the same timeline as law firm offers for JD students

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:24 pm

iliketurtles123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A back up plan, when reality hits you hard. Of course you could be independently rich already, then pass OCI by all means.


1. Great use of anon.

2. You mean the hard hard reality of, not making six figures out of law school? Or just missing the biglaw train? I mean I understand theres a low chance I get the above summer employment, but getting quality non-legal internships beyond white shoe finance/consulting isn't exactly difficult coming from law school. I mean with one semester of law school grades, a sub 2.7 in undergrad, and just talking to people, I received a few decent non-legal offers. As long as you get by Taleo(by applying through referrals/direct emailing recruiters), interviews run fine. I don't understand the obsession with biglaw or #lifeisover at my school or on this board.

3. Wouldn't potential BL offers expire anyways if I went through with interviewing for non-legal opps(beyond the ones that directly focus on law school)?


Most banks and consulting shops are on the same timeline as law firm offers for JD students


not really, at HLS at least JD recruiting (EIP) happens much sooner. McK usually offers a few weeks after biglaw earliest and the BBs only come on campus separately and later (but OCS claims that offers are made before biglaw offers explode).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi there,

I had offers at multiple of the places you mentioned.

Some thoughts:

1) If you're not in the T14, you're almost definitely SOL. I'm assuming you're transferring after 1L, and trying to get into the T14 (and preferably T6).

2) Goldman for sure also recruits along with CS, but I think only at T6 judging from what I saw.

3) Re: consulting - McK and BCG are very open to (T-14) JD's, and Bain much less so. BCG's problem is with the timeline though - for 2L summer, their recruiting timeline is way too late (Decemberish) to be helpful for a 2L. I think for full-time their timeline makes more sense.
I got the impression that if you're at an acceptable school, it's not hard to get the McK first round interview. However, of course, it is incredibly incredibly hard to go through and make it to an offer, it's 3 rounds and attrition after the 2nd and 3rd round is ridiculous (and you're talking about all ambitious people from t14 schools here, not slouches).

lawlorbust
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby lawlorbust » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:52 pm

...
Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby juzam_djinn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi there,

I had offers at multiple of the places you mentioned.

Some thoughts:

1) If you're not in the T14, you're almost definitely SOL. I'm assuming you're transferring after 1L, and trying to get into the T14 (and preferably T6).

2) Goldman for sure also recruits along with CS, but I think only at T6 judging from what I saw.

3) Re: consulting - McK and BCG are very open to (T-14) JD's, and Bain much less so. BCG's problem is with the timeline though - for 2L summer, their recruiting timeline is way too late (Decemberish) to be helpful for a 2L. I think for full-time their timeline makes more sense.
I got the impression that if you're at an acceptable school, it's not hard to get the McK first round interview. However, of course, it is incredibly incredibly hard to go through and make it to an offer, it's 3 rounds and attrition after the 2nd and 3rd round is ridiculous (and you're talking about all ambitious people from t14 schools here, not slouches).


mind pm'ing me too? tyia

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
iliketurtles123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A back up plan, when reality hits you hard. Of course you could be independently rich already, then pass OCI by all means.


1. Great use of anon.

2. You mean the hard hard reality of, not making six figures out of law school? Or just missing the biglaw train? I mean I understand theres a low chance I get the above summer employment, but getting quality non-legal internships beyond white shoe finance/consulting isn't exactly difficult coming from law school. I mean with one semester of law school grades, a sub 2.7 in undergrad, and just talking to people, I received a few decent non-legal offers. As long as you get by Taleo(by applying through referrals/direct emailing recruiters), interviews run fine. I don't understand the obsession with biglaw or #lifeisover at my school or on this board.

3. Wouldn't potential BL offers expire anyways if I went through with interviewing for non-legal opps(beyond the ones that directly focus on law school)?


Most banks and consulting shops are on the same timeline as law firm offers for JD students


not really, at HLS at least JD recruiting (EIP) happens much sooner. McK usually offers a few weeks after biglaw earliest and the BBs only come on campus separately and later (but OCS claims that offers are made before biglaw offers explode).


I'm above anon. You may be right that the timelines aren't 100% aligned, but from experience it really isn't an issue at all since BigLaw offers are very flexible on deadlines if you ask to extend.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Which ibanks/consulting shops recruit JD's from top schools?

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi there,

I had offers at multiple of the places you mentioned.

Some thoughts:

1) If you're not in the T14, you're almost definitely SOL. I'm assuming you're transferring after 1L, and trying to get into the T14 (and preferably T6).

2) Goldman for sure also recruits along with CS, but I think only at T6 judging from what I saw.

3) Re: consulting - McK and BCG are very open to (T-14) JD's, and Bain much less so. BCG's problem is with the timeline though - for 2L summer, their recruiting timeline is way too late (Decemberish) to be helpful for a 2L. I think for full-time their timeline makes more sense.
I got the impression that if you're at an acceptable school, it's not hard to get the McK first round interview. However, of course, it is incredibly incredibly hard to go through and make it to an offer, it's 3 rounds and attrition after the 2nd and 3rd round is ridiculous (and you're talking about all ambitious people from t14 schools here, not slouches).

Could I get a pm too? Thanks!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.