1.5 week European vacation for Biglaw Jr. Assoc. too long?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ItalianLawyer

1.5 week European vacation for Biglaw Jr. Assoc. too long?

Postby ItalianLawyer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:32 pm

I will be working a half-day on Wednesday and then jetting to Europe until the following Sunday. It will have been over a year since my last vacation. I will be entering my third year. It will be in August.

Is this too long?

To give you some context, this is an Atlanta law firm that requires 1950 bh per year. I am transactional/corporate.
Last edited by ItalianLawyer on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BeenDidThat

Re: 1.5 week European vacation for Biglaw Jr. Assoc. too long?

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:37 pm

ItalianLawyer wrote:I will be working a half-day on Wednesday and then jetting to Europe until the following Sunday. It will have been over a year since my last vacation. I will be entering my third year.

Is this too long?

To give you some context, this is an Atlanta law firm that requires 1850 bh per year.

Probably not, but some firms might be exceptions. You'd know better than us if your firm is an exception.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:45 pm

ItalianLawyer wrote:I will be working a half-day on Wednesday and then jetting to Europe until the following Sunday. It will have been over a year since my last vacation. I will be entering my third year.

Is this too long?

To give you some context, this is an Atlanta law firm that requires 1850 bh per year.

1850 is really low for a biglaw. 1.5 week vacation is very common in any law firm.

ItalianLawyer

Postby ItalianLawyer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is this too long?

1850 is really low for a biglaw. 1.5 week vacation is very common in any law firm.

Whoops. I meant 1950.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Is this too long?

To give you some context, this is an Atlanta law firm that requires 1950 bh per year.

You've been working at your firm for two years. Do you really have no sense of the length of your fellow associates' vacations? This is one of those "firm culture" questions that you (or at least your fellow associates at your firm) are in a better position to answer.

ItalianLawyer

Postby ItalianLawyer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Is this too long?

To give you some context, this is an Atlanta law firm that requires 1950 bh per year.

You've been working at your firm for two years. Do you really have no sense of the length of your fellow associates' vacations? This is one of those "firm culture" questions that you (or at least your fellow associates at your firm) are in a better position to answer.

That's the thing, no one really takes vacations, but that's mostly because they are gunners. The culture here is actually pretty relaxed for big law (Atlanta in general is slower paced, as one would imagine). Five business days seems to be the most common for the few that do vacation.

I am just wondering if it will look bad to be one of the few associates who vacays AND takes off 7.5 business days.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:19 pm

ItalianLawyer wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Is this too long?

That's the thing, no one really takes vacations, but that's mostly because they are gunners. The culture here is actually pretty relaxed for big law (Atlanta in general is slower paced, as one would imagine). Five business days seems to be the most common for the few that do vacation.

I am just wondering if it will look bad to be one of the few associates who vacays AND takes off 7.5 business days.

Are the partners losers or bros? If bros, definitely vacation as you please. Nobody respects gunner morons who don't take vacation except other gunner morons who become loser partners.

ruski

Postby ruski » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:32 pm

ItalianLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this too long?

Whoops. I meant 1950.

this is still low. do you really work in biglaw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:40 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
ItalianLawyer wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Is this too long?

Are the partners losers or bros? If bros, definitely vacation as you please. Nobody respects gunner morons who don't take vacation except other gunner morons who become loser partners.

What would gunner do if the market is slow pace and the bh is only 1850/1950? If anything 1.5 week is too short for your situation.

ItalianLawyer

Postby ItalianLawyer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:45 pm

ruski wrote:
ItalianLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this too long?

Whoops. I meant 1950.

this is still low. do you really work in biglaw

Why would I lie? The minimum is 1950; anything above that triggers a tiered bonus system.

ItalianLawyer

Postby ItalianLawyer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:45 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
ItalianLawyer wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Is this too long?

The main partner I work for is a total bro.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:58 pm

ItalianLawyer wrote:The main partner I work for is a total bro.

I have a wild idea: You could actually talk to that partner about your vacation. "Hey, I'm thinking of taking a week and a half of vacation in Europe in July. Is that cool?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:07 pm

First year - V10 - NYC - taking 2 weeks vacation after just 7 months. This is a serious question?

ItalianLawyer

Postby ItalianLawyer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:10 pm

rpupkin wrote:
ItalianLawyer wrote:The main partner I work for is a total bro.

I have a wild idea: You could actually talk to that partner about your vacation. "Hey, I'm thinking of taking a week and a half of vacation in Europe in July. Is that cool?"

Maybe I should even invite him to come with???

anongoodnurse

Postby anongoodnurse » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Grrr. Thought I posted that anonymously. I had personal details in there.

tl;dr: A few partners will care that you take vacation at all. If you take more than Thursday-Sunday-next, more will care that you are taking a "partners-only" two-week vacation. Most won't care.
Last edited by anongoodnurse on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:02 pm

do it in August, usually the slowest month of the year

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:05 pm

When I was at a firm I had a partner who was more or less my de facto mentor. He was fairly young for a partner and h was very laid back (we talked sports all the time). I had a few questions re: vacation and holidays and I flat out asked him. He was cool and explained how much I can and can't take and how it would look. He even gave me a guide like "If you take a week and a half off in June you probably shouldn't ask for time off until at least Thanksgiving". I hope you have a partner you're close to and can just ask candidly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:55 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:When I was at a firm I had a partner who was more or less my de facto mentor. He was fairly young for a partner and h was very laid back (we talked sports all the time). I had a few questions re: vacation and holidays and I flat out asked him. He was cool and explained how much I can and can't take and how it would look. He even gave me a guide like "If you take a week and a half off in June you probably shouldn't ask for time off until at least Thanksgiving". I hope you have a partner you're close to and can just ask candidly.

November is 5 months after june. you do NOT have to spread your vacations that far apart, or if you do you're basically not using your full amount. if you're smart you all take all the weeks off with gov holidays in them, that way you get 5 weeks a year instead of 4 as you rack up that extra vacation day each time

also in a large corporate group no will know or care. a deal lasts ~2 months. so as long as you wait at least 2 months so you're not requesting vacation twice on one deal your fine. after two months you'll be on totally different matters and no one will know when the last time you took vaca was.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruski

Postby ruski » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:57 pm

wasn't meant to be anon

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:46 am

Chiming in to agree this is fine -- ESPECIALLY in August. Of course it depends on the firm but it would be beyond the pale for this to be viewed negatively.

Return to “Legal Employment”