Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
emptyflare
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby emptyflare » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:18 am

I'm near the end of my 3L year, and my old (and ridiculously large) laptop is now on its last legs. The firm I'll be starting with is going to provide me with a firm laptop, but should I still look into buying a separate, personal desktop or laptop to replace my failing laptop?

I'm wondering whether I really need a personal computer at home for random non-firm stuff or if I'll be just fine using the firm computer and a personal iPad. I'd rather not fork over the money for a new computer if it's not necessary. How do those in biglaw deal with potentially non-firm computer situations like having a music library, photos, personal documents, or browsing social media or random NSFW content?

hdunlop
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby hdunlop » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:23 am

Chromebooks are $200.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:44 am

you make $160k so you dont act like a poor. or you're in biglaw so you act like you have some juevos and just do wtf you want on your laptop the firm gives you

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby baal hadad » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:43 am

Do you want a personal laptop or not?

You seem incapable of making own decisions

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:24 am

baal hadad wrote:Do you want a personal laptop or not?

You seem incapable of making own decisions

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:37 am

emptyflare wrote:I'm near the end of my 3L year, and my old (and ridiculously large) laptop is now on its last legs. The firm I'll be starting with is going to provide me with a firm laptop, but should I still look into buying a separate, personal desktop or laptop to replace my failing laptop?

I'm wondering whether I really need a personal computer at home for random non-firm stuff or if I'll be just fine using the firm computer and a personal iPad. I'd rather not fork over the money for a new computer if it's not necessary. How do those in biglaw deal with potentially non-firm computer situations like having a music library, photos, personal documents, or browsing social media or random NSFW content?


lol, despite the harshness of the answers thus far, I'll reluctantly offer a serious response. You probably don't need another PC. You'll spend so much time at work (and inevitably TLS/etc. at work) that you probably won't run home to use a computer. Anything personal "computer related" I need to do I do from my work computer or my tablet.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:53 am

It's not 1998, so I don't know why anyone would have a personal desktop (except for a hardcore gamer, who wouldn't be asking this question). And you won't be expected to do work on a personal laptop. But I also have never understood people who do personal computing on their work computers. Maybe that's sufficient if the only personal computing you do is email and Facebook, but I do a lot more than that on my personal laptop, so no matter what work gives me, I'll always have one (probably better than I get from work).

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:16 am

Many (most?) employers will not allow you to install any programs on your computer beyond what's pre-loaded on there. That's a dealbreaker for me, even though I'm a fairly casual user.

Also, it's unlikely, but you could get insta-shitcanned and the employer could take back your computer without you having the opportunity to get all your personal files off it. And it's not like you could back up your files to dropbox or something, because you can't install dropbox.

Unless everything you do on a computer can be done within your browser, I'd buy one.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby SemperLegal » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:10 am

I plan on using this as a chance to try to jump full time to tablet/surface use. I think theres no reason for a nongamer to even have a laptop, aside from word processing, but I have been resisiting making the jump until someone else was paying for a backup plan.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:14 am

SemperLegal wrote:I plan on using this as a chance to try to jump full time to tablet/surface use. I think theres no reason for a nongamer to even have a laptop, aside from word processing, but I have been resisiting making the jump until someone else was paying for a backup plan.

photography/photo editing sucks on a tiny screen.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby glitched » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 am

Ipad air is essentially a computer at this point if you have a keyboard cover. Since it sounds like you don't game, that will do. I know plenty of associates and even partners that use a tablet for work/personal. Most are using the surface but ipad will be fine.

If you have a mini, I'd consider getting the air refurbished or on craigslist for cheap. I'd rather do that than buy a <$500 cheapo laptop that'll probably also be big and clunky at that price.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby SemperLegal » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:30 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:I plan on using this as a chance to try to jump full time to tablet/surface use. I think theres no reason for a nongamer to even have a laptop, aside from word processing, but I have been resisiting making the jump until someone else was paying for a backup plan.

photography/photo editing sucks on a tiny screen.



Instagram works on my phone. :P

User avatar
emptyflare
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby emptyflare » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:17 pm

I appreciate all the input--thanks, all.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:06 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:I plan on using this as a chance to try to jump full time to tablet/surface use. I think theres no reason for a nongamer to even have a laptop, aside from word processing, but I have been resisiting making the jump until someone else was paying for a backup plan.

photography/photo editing sucks on a tiny screen.



Instagram works on my phone. :P

instagram is to photography what freeze-dried astronaut ice cream is to food.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby KMart » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:17 pm

hdunlop wrote:Chromebooks are $200.

Are these credited computers? Never got into them much but need something better than my dinosaur of a mac from high school.

User avatar
emptyflare
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby emptyflare » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:35 pm

KMart wrote:
hdunlop wrote:Chromebooks are $200.

Are these credited computers? Never got into them much but need something better than my dinosaur of a mac from high school.


I was wondering the same thing. Here are some of the negatives for Chromebooks:

thegeekstuff.com wrote:Why You Shouldn’t Buy a Chromebook?

1. Desktop based application: If you are dependent on any desktop based application (For example: Microsoft Office products, Photoshop, iTunes, Graphic intensive games, etc.), Chrome OS might not be the right choice. While there are alternatives for these desktop based application that runs on the browser, it will still be limited in terms of feature rich functionality, as it runs inside a browser. You have to take a inventory of all the desktop based application that you are currently using, and see whether you can live without most of them (or find a equivalent Chrome OS app) before buying chromebook.

2. Store files locally on the hard disk: For whatever reason, if you don’t like to use cloud storage, and like to store the files locally on your system, chromebook is not the right choice for you. Most chromebook have only 16GB of hard-disk, and some have 32GB hard disk.

3. Lot of off-line work: Chrome OS is built on the assumption that you’ll always be connected to the internet. If you are performing lot of off-line work, and can’t be connected to internet all the time, you might not like chromebook. While some Chrome OS app has offline capability, it is still limited in terms of functionality.

4. No Skype: There is no Skype app for Chrome OS. So, if you are using Skype, you are out of luck. You have to use only Google Hangout for collaboration.

5. Printing: You can’t connect to your printer through local wi-fi network, or using direct cable connection. Printing is available only through Google Cloud Print service and your printer should support cloud printing.


(source: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2014/11/best-chromebook/)

city123
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby city123 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:20 pm

I am in the same boat--decided to buy a relatively cheap laptop because I wanted something reliable and something I was used to using (not just a rental) for the bar. I don't anticipate I'll use it much after I start at the firm, but after all the $ dropped on law school, I don't want the fear of having my computer crap out during the test.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:57 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:I plan on using this as a chance to try to jump full time to tablet/surface use. I think theres no reason for a nongamer to even have a laptop, aside from word processing, but I have been resisiting making the jump until someone else was paying for a backup plan.

photography/photo editing sucks on a tiny screen.



Instagram works on my phone. :P

instagram is to photography what freeze-dried astronaut ice cream is to food.


Delicious equivalents for skilled professionals more concerned with utility than whimsical nostalgia?

I disagree, some amateur "photographers" have almost valid reasons for assuming that the rest of us MUST base our major purchases on the ability to artfully collect out of focus pictures of trees.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14422
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:55 pm

I use my work PC a lot, but you still can't use it for porn and other unsavory websites. I'd probably get a chromebook if I were you.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10705
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Nah bro, TLS works just fine on any computer - no need for a new one.

hdunlop
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby hdunlop » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:46 am

I'd never have a Chrome book as my only computer. But it's a hell of a lot more useful than a tablet. Wife and I share all three and it works well. My point is mainly that computers are basically free and just buy one, jesus, relying on a work computer is weird. My original reply to OP was "hi dad"

Anyway happy to take more chrome questions, I love and hate it

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:09 am

Desert Fox wrote:I use my work PC a lot, but you still can't use it for porn and other unsavory websites. I'd probably get a chromebook if I were you.


Ehh I've looked at porn on firms phone and gambling on firm laptop. Both were done from my internet connection at home though. I don't think they check. I mean I own my own laptop I'm just too lazy sometimes.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Serious question. Does anyone have a full desktop set up at home. Was thinking about purchasing something cheap with dual monitors to work at home. But it sounds like from this thread that most people just rely on laptops when working at home?

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14422
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:46 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:Serious question. Does anyone have a full desktop set up at home. Was thinking about purchasing something cheap with dual monitors to work at home. But it sounds like from this thread that most people just rely on laptops when working at home?


I have both, but I like the ability to move the laptop around. I only got the desktop to serve up movies and tv shows on Plex/.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Will I need to Replace My Personal Computer before Biglaw?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:17 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:Serious question. Does anyone have a full desktop set up at home. Was thinking about purchasing something cheap with dual monitors to work at home. But it sounds like from this thread that most people just rely on laptops when working at home?

Get external monitors for your laptop.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.